A Light in the Dark Part Twenty-Six: The Stab of the Past

Written in response to: Write about a character who isn’t nostalgic about their past at all, and show readers why.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Horror Sad

Dean:

Waking up in my old bedroom, a quiet fear burned in my heart at my uncle’s footsteps blocking out the light. Stumbling back, a clammy sweat drenched my skin. The older version of me kicked the door, one stripe of silver  separating our current appearances. A kitchen knife sparkled in the light of the yellow moon, my body trembling. Trying to scream, nothing would come out. Each thud had my heart beating harder, chaos erupting down the hall. Towering over me, his knife was inches from my face. A pop had him falling on top of me, the knife quivering in the mattress next to me. Instead of my mother standing over me, Death’s delicate features slowed down my heart beat. Leaning down to kiss me, a bright light blinded me. 

Jerking awake in a cold sweat, something felt off. Staring numbly ahead, Death stirred awake. Curling her arms around my waist, her lips grazed my back. Glancing back at her, I rubbed her hand. Kissing the nape of my neck, I wasn’t in the mood. At the rate we were going, I was going to be a father. Not that it wouldn’t be the worst thing. Hell, Matty made it seem easy. 

“What’s wrong, dear?” She inquired sweetly, her hands sliding down to my abs. “You seem out of it. Can I make it better?” Pecking her lips tenderly, I squirmed out of her arms. Tugging on a pair of my jeans, I made my way downstairs. Today was the anniversary of my Uncle Smith's death. Growling under my breath, a loud noise in the kitchen had me leaping into the air. Felix apologized as he took a sandwich downstairs, a pair of headlights illuminating the living room. Hiding behind the couch, a strange car rumbled outside. Crawling over to the window, I poked my head up. Picking up one of my emergency guns from the hidden safe, my heart sank into my stomach at the sight of my uncle approaching the house in a plain white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. A hunting rifle glinted in the early morning light, Death rushing up to me. Holding my hand, she lowered my gun. 

“It isn’t your place to kill him. That would be Lily for he is a rotting soul. She should be coming down the hall in a few minutes because she felt something.” She explained softly, her hand cupping my face. “If you change this, we will pay. Talk about your childhood while we wait.” Shaking my head, there was nothing I wanted to talk about. It all went downhill after my uncle attempted to murder me, his angry demon ass hunting me down in a form of twisted revenge. 

“If you go out there, you will die for real.” She pleaded desperately, tears pouring from her eyes as she placed my hand on her stomach. “Do it for our child. I can’t raise him without you.” Time stopped, a lump forming in my throat. A bullet whistled over her head, my arms yanking her into a desperate embrace. Lily burst from her bedroom with her scythe spinning in her palm, her feet skidding to a stop in front of us. 

“Go on a vacation in the underworld for me. I have a rotting soul to capture.” She chirped cheerfully, a quiet fear dimming her bright smile. “I am counting on you, Dean.” Bursting through the door, she must have forgotten that Selene was with Lucifer down in Hell. Her body smashed through the front window, Matty sprinting down the hall with his spell book under his arm. Toby shouted at him to begin a series of spells. Death summoned a portal, the two of us sliding through the floor into some sort of fancy office. A dark wooden desk sat in the middle of the room, everyone’s books of life lined the various shelves around her. Smoothing out my borrowed t-shirt, it looked great on her. Helping me to my feet, she tossed me a fresh black t-shirt and new brown boots while fussing with one of her usual suits. It had to be September or something like that. 

“It’s September Fifteenth if you are wondering.” She spoke blissfully, resting her hand on her slight bump. I am only a month along so don’t worry about being in the dark about it. How about you talk about your past? I was in your nightmare. Come with me. I have a favorite restaurant.” Dragging me onto some place in the underworld, no words could come to my lips. Pulling me into some sort of diner, reapers glanced up from their plates of food. Taking the booth in the back, she ordered a cup of tea and pancakes for me. Asking for a grilled cheese for herself, the tired waitress’ face twisted in confusion at her request. The skirt hugged her small bump, a pensive expression resting on her lips. 

“My parents weren’t the same after they killed my uncle. My mother turned to booze to stop the nightmares and retreated to her bedroom. My father buried himself in his work. I spent my teenage years taking care of my mother.” I admitted brokenly, not ready to acknowledge the child that I was going to have. Life entered the diner, the reapers shooting him a death glare. Shoving me over, his trembling hands smoothed out his robes. 

“I didn’t think it would work.” He shouted loud enough to steal the attention of the other restaurant patrons, her hand clamping over his mouth. Letting him talk out his excitement, her hand hit the table. Grinning ear to ear, he nudged my shoulder with a wink. It was hard to believe that he was my brother-in-law in the basic sense, his personality contrasting greatly. Rolling my eyes, this family was insane. Glancing over at him, the bright twinkle in his eyes had me wanting to punch his face. 

“Shut up!” I growled through gritted teeth, a hearty chuckle escaping his lips. “You are fucking insane. Do you know that?” Shrugging his shoulder, the waitress set down the order. Scurrying off to help someone else, I slid my pancakes over to Life. Drumming my fingers on the table, my head cocked to the left. Eating his pancakes, every cell in me wanted to talk to Matty. 

“I am excited but I can’t seem to figure out how to go about this. Give me a chance to mull it over, ‘kay.” I responded warmly, taking her hands. “I am so proud of you and I promise to protect you both. Although, I think you are stronger than me.” Leaning back in the booth, I let the siblings carry on the conversation. Death shot worried glances at me between bright smiles, her head sucking in what I told her. It wasn’t like my parents hit me but the neglect left a hole in my heart. Texting Matty to call me, the shrill ring of my cellphone had me leaping over Life. Excusing myself, I picked up the phone. 

“What’s up?” His gruff voice asked, the sound of him repairing the house with magic creaked and groaned behind him. “Lily took care of the problem. I am cleaning up their mess. If you need to talk to her, she is at her father's house picking up Selene.” That was pointless information, the realization dawned on me. Every breath grew shorter, my heart seconds from beating out of my chest. Shit, I was going to be a father! 

“I am going to be a dad.” I choked out awkwardly, cleaning supplies hitting the floor. “Are you mad or something?” Clearing his throat, a nervous chuckle escaped his lips. Whistling a little song, my eyes narrowed. He only did this when he had a secret to hide. 

“Cool. Lily might be thinking about adding another kid soon to our family. Don’t tell anyone but we have been trying. Congrats. I am sure Death is over the moon. Do you want to walk and drink a beer when you get back?” He responded calmly, Death coming out. “See you soon, bud.” A depressed grimace rested on her lips, my arms yanking her into a bear hug. Burying her head into my shoulder, her fingers gripped my shirt. 

“I am sorry for g-” She began, my finger lifting up her chin stopping her sentence. Kissing her passionately, her body arched towards me. Time slowed down, my heart felt seconds from beating out of my chest. Releasing her from her spell, I rested my hand on her hips. Her natural smile illuminated her features, her fingers tracing my chest. Shivering with pleasure, it was no mystery how we got into this situation. 

“How about you start thinking of names and write them down? Maybe tell Lily about your surprise. You could talk to her.” I suggested with a kiss to the top of her head, a strained okay leaving her lips. “I am going to hang out with Matty for a few minutes. Perhaps a girl’s hour is needed.” Yanking me down by my collar, her lips pressed against mine hungrily. The underground city faded away to our home, the place having looked like nothing happened. The smell of magic lingered in the air, Matty coming out after having taken a shower. His hair had been twisted into a bun, his kind gaze resting on me. Pulling out a couple of beers, Death spun in with a big smile. Squeezing Lily to Death in one of her bear hugs, Lily was stolen away to the living room. Selene walked around clumsily, her laughter twinkled like bells in the air. Watching Lily smother her in kisses, her real smile never left her lips. Smiling softly to myself, Matty guided me out the door. Hiking through the trail behind his house, his spirits seemed to be in a better place than last time. Plopping onto a log, he tossed me my beer. Popping off the top, he caught my cap for me. Setting it down next to him, the ghosts watched us from behind their tombstones. What an odd group?

“Why are you trying for another one?” I queried with a tired smile, his cocky grin from high school returning. “I don’t get it. Isn’t one child enough for now?” Popping off his beer cap, it landed perfectly in between his fingers. Rolling it through each finger, his cocky grin melted to a goofy one. 

“I have the girl and the family I want. Why wouldn’t I want more?” He bragged gleefully, tossing the cap into the air. “Sure life is messed up but I think almost losing her so many times kind of made me want to fulfill my dreams faster. So you are going to be a dad, huh? Enjoy it because it doesn’t last forever.” Swallowing the lump in my throat, this Matty was the Matty I went to school with. His head was on right, his wisdom surpassing my own. 

“I want to be excited but I am scared.” I mumbled dejectedly, sipping my own beer. “I suppose it is because of my parents.” Nudging my shoulder, we both stared at the condensation on our bottles. Loads of drops raced to the bottom, the water splashing onto the dirt. 

“You will be present and nothing like your mother. We took care of your uncle for you. I am happy that everything worked out today.” He assured me with his real smile, his palm catching the cap. “Keep your head on straight and life will iron itself out.” Drinking our beer in silence, we watched the orange leaves dance in the wind. Finishing the last drop, calluses covered his hands. 

“What drew you to Lily in the first place?” I exclaimed with a crooked grin, hoping to hear how they got so close. “I can see it from the friendship aspect.” Branches crunched, Felix waving to us as he sat down next to Matty. Did Matty not see how amazing he was with letting us all stay in his home? 

“I had to get out of there.” He teased with a long sigh, his hand wiping his brow. “They were getting all girly and then Mary had to join in.” Running his hand through his hair, a sad smile lingered on his lips. Laying on his back, he held his hand up to the starry sky. His t-shirt fluttered in the early fall breeze, his hands resting on his stomach. 

“If everyone is here, she showed up at the lowest point of my life. My parents divorced and my steady life was gone. She made sure to make me smile. When her parents died, I chose to clean her up and wait for her to get her guardians executed. In school, she would take the time to help everyone else.” He gushed freely, the loving gaze he watched her with never leaving her face. “The way she looks adorable when she is angry steals my heart. I hope we are pregnant soon.” Rolling our eyes, someone was smitten with his wife. Humming to himself, the sounds of nature prevented silence from tainting the air. Rising to his feet, Matty placed his hands on his hips. 

“I am off to keep trying. Congrats, bro.” He congratulated me with a wink as he walked away, Felix sitting up. Curiosity glistened in his eyes, his hands resting on his knees. His brow cocked, a secret resting on the tip of his tongue. 

“Is it bad that I like Bella?” He probed with a fresh flush to his cheeks, his fingers drumming on his legs. “We have been talking at night and I kind of fell in love.” Shrugging my shoulder, my advice wouldn’t hold a candle to Matty’s wise words. Sighing tiredly, he popped to his feet. Hovering awkwardly in his spot, something told me that he wanted to walk back together. 

“I don’t think so. Soulmates seem to find each other in that house. I guess just say it.” I stammered with an anxious grin, a strained okay leaving his lips. Using the tree to pull myself to my feet. Hiking back to the house, a sense of celebration lingered into the air. Letting ourselves in, everyone was fretting over Death. Basking in the warmth, Lily spun over to me. Tugging me into a bear hug, her congratulation had me smiling jovially to myself. Releasing me, her hand rested on my shoulder. Lily and Matty were the parents of the group, their golden hearts knowing no bounds. Asking me to talk in the kitchen, anxiety burned in her eyes. Struggling to speak up, a pregnancy stick stuck out of her pocket. Bowing her head in shame, it was my turn to comfort her. 

“Is it positive?” I questioned with a friendly grin, her head nodding. Our eyes rested on Matty chatting pleasantly with everyone else, uncertainty keeping her from telling him. Silent tears stained her cheeks, her claws scratching at the top of her hands. Telling that we were going to get some air, Matty’s worried glance watched us walk out the front door. Guiding her to the newly installed swing set, she collapsed into the seat. The two of us weren’t that different, our first reaction was apprehension. Swinging back and forth, a quiet fear lingered in her eyes. 

“I don’t know how I will carry this child through this time with everything going on. I said that I wanted to try to please him and I am so scared that I will fail him again.” She sobbed violently, Matty staring out the window at us. Scratching harder, inky blood stained her light gray summer dress. Unsure of what to do, this side of Lily always had me on edge. 

“Death and you can experience this together.” I offered with a half grin, a sad smile dawning on her lips. “You are amazing with Selene so I doubt that it would be any different. Did you tell Lucifer yet?” Shaking her head, this was our secret for now. Cupping her hands, she needed to stop scratching the guilt away. 

“I don’t like you doing that.” I continued in a brotherly tone, remembering how she used to do that in the classroom. “I won’t anything happen to you guys. Shit, is the baby okay after today?” Biting her lips, her hands twitched underneath mine. Please stop worrying. Did she not realize that incredible team behind her? 

“I am not worried about that. The darn thing is fine but I want Death to have her day.” She chuckled serenely to herself, the anxiety hiding behind her usual mask. “I should probably tell Matty and tell him to keep a secret. I think you should relish every moment. You aren’t far off of me. Lay down your wall and let others in for me, ‘kay.” Walking back into the house, Matty’s features lit up with a big grin, his arms spinning her around. The door opened, Death coming out to the swings. Sitting on my lap, my arms curled around her waist. Grazing my lips against her bare skin. 

“I can sense her child and boy is it strong.” She chirped cheerfully, her hand cupping my cheek. “How are you holding up, daddy?” Pressing her lips against mine passionately, her thumb lingered on my cheek. Neither of us could breath, her lips brushing against mine. 

“I am better with you on my lap.” I teased playfully, a fit of laughter bursting from her lips. “God, I love you.” Resting her head on my shoulder, her warmth was more than I deserved. Lord, grant me the luck I needed. 

February 09, 2024 14:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.