1 comment

General

       THE PERFECT GIFT TO WIN MY LOVE

    I do see her writing in a pink book with sparkles on it, wondering why she keeps closing it each time I take a glance at her writing in the book. I knew what she wanted, she wanted a very perfect boyfriend .I knew I was very weak in playing that “perfect boyfriend role”, everybody knew including Joyce’s friends .They advised her to dump me on valentine’s day which was two days to go, I pretended I didn’t know .But I noticed one thing, Joyce never complained to me nor her friends.

I would ask for my weak spot In our relationship ,she would say “I love you just the way you are” humming like you by Titiana Monaosis .

Looking at her from the kitchen, I accidentally spilled a little flour onto the floor and on the apron I was wearing. I called, Joyce please mind if you help me out with the milk because I have to clean the whole mess at least to make the work faster, I said talking in a way that she doesn’t have to If she doesn’t want to. She stood up from the couch covering the book which I have seen her keeping from me many times with her teddy bear. Joyce, you really are not into all this kitchen stuff as I saw her finding it difficult to whisk the egg I said, only if I am ready to make something burnt. We both laughed, she then said, Drake I was really hoping we could go watch a movie tomorrow, together with my friends, but never mind. I just thought you should come since their boyfriends are coming. She looked at me dusting my apron with my hand, she knew I wasn’t into all those stuff, like trying to impress her friends, you have an handsome boyfriend but worst of all I wasn’t so perfect. She just stood there looking at the ceiling for her not to feel embarrassed in front of me. For sure anything for you baby, I said.

She turned her back, behaving like someone who won a lottery and thinking that I couldn’t see what she was doing. I said “hello I can see you” oh she said adjusting her hair, we both chuckled. She came closer to me to clean off the flour on my hair.

We both had cake with ice cream for the night. I saw her resuming to her book, Joyce you can go to bed I’ll help you with putting off the lights, I said. Never mind, I am still working on something thanks, she said. I wore my hooded and dashed out of the apartment saying goodbye.

I noticed the morning was so cold. I stood up from my bed to get something hot to drink. I headed for the kitchen and soon found out, I didn’t have coffee, oh my Gosh I don’t want to go out in this cold morning, I went to get my wallet in my room and remembered I had forgotten it at Joyce’s house. I could I have been so careless I thought to myself. I got to Joyce’s house quite early ringing the bell and wondering why I didn’t receive an answer. I entered only to find bottles of beer scattered everywhere. I helped clean up the table then I saw the book, I ignored it but I wanted to know why she keeps the book away from me. I opened the book I just glanced at it. “Oh hi Drake you are here” said Tasha who I knew didn’t like me, I watched her go out of the house, wondering what she was doing here. Hmm hi, I said is Joyce inside I said. Go check yourself she said rudely. I went there only to meet a lot of girls packed like sardine. I just went back to the sitting room so as not to disturb them. But I could not find my wallet. I just sat there looking till I remembered the book. I opened it , my heart was melted with what was written in the book, she wrote that she wished I was like her friends boyfriend who were devoted to their relationship unlike me wondering why she never complained about me and fooling me that she loves me just the way I am. I felt like crying when I read in there that she would actually leave me on valentine day. Joyce was the only one I knew since I lost my memory in an air crash with my parents who died. Now she wants to leave me.

 I closed the book, realizing I have not a perfect boyfriend to her. I suddenly heard someone waking the girls up saying “girls wake up it is dawn already”, one said so fast then I knew that they all slept late. She walked up to the sitting room with her friends who were screeching their eyes with their hands. Oh Drake Joyce said, surprised to see me how long have you been here, well not too long I said. I just came to get my wallet. And did you guy have a blackout party last night, I said, then a girl which I didn’t even know her name voiced out and said “oh my gosh you are her boyfriend and she didn’t tell you she was having a party with her girls oh so low of you” Joyce wasn’t even bothered she just said, drake let me go get your wallet. She gave me my wallet, reminding me of the movie, I said I was so sorry that I could not go watch a movie with her, because I was working on some stuff. I wasn’t surprised when Joyces friends looked at their eyes with a look on their faces saying they knew it would happen. I dashed out from the house without saying a word. I forgot about the coffee and went home thinking about my life without Joyce, she meant the world to me.

The next day valentine day and that would be my worst day ever. I then thought of an idea to surprise her and give her friends a shocking of their life. I needed to surprise her. I spent all I had in this idea. I paid the band that would help sing to Joyce, I bought a teddy bear with a rose flower on its hand, I knew Joyce loves teddy bear and I decided to draw a picture of her. I felt it was a perfect time to show her that I truly love her. I didn’t even know when evening rolled by, I had been exhausted by the day activities.

Now was the day to surprise Joyce I had already paid for the bar to be used. In the bar I had gathered the bands and the gifts. I waited till evening to surprise her. I had someone to call Joyce that I was with another girl, knowing that she would come with her friends to beat the crap out of me. She came with her friends infuriated, she saw me with no one but with a drink beside mine that shows I have been with someone. She came to me saying that she hates me, and she had found the perfect time to leave me, I held her hand as she was about to leave. I told her that the drink was meant for her. Then the band started singing. She and her friends wondered what was happening. I told her how much I love her, with tears dropping off her eyes, I wiped her eyes and knelt down saying that the teddy bear can tell you how much I love you and presented the picture saying that you are always on my mind and I am so sorry you may not like this gift. She laughed and cried, Joyce raised me up and we hugged before her friends started chanting. She told me while crying that was a perfect gift a girl would ever receive from her boyfriend

June 21, 2020 19:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Elle Clark
21:41 Jun 27, 2020

A cute love story - I hope your protagonist starts to treat Joyce better!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.