0 comments

General

Carol could spot a liar a million miles away. She had learned the skill while teaching high school. Teenagers were terrible liars, and she used to tell them not to try until they were good at it. She listened to the dealer explain all the wonderful aspects of the used Prius, and visibly rolled her eyes when he mentioned the cup holders. Did he really think all women were concerned about in a car were the mirrors and cupholders? What an antiquated world view. He droned on and on never mentioning the way the car sat just a little wonky from an obvious rear end collision. Carol mentioned this to him finally and the dealer tried to play it off like it was not a big deal. Sure, if it only lead to excessive wear and tear on the tires, that was no big deal. However, it was a Prius so there wasn't really much weight to warrant undo concern.

Carol bought the car and after what seemed like an eternity of paperwork, financing and general falderal she drove it off the lot and headed home. Along the way, she stopped by the local McDonalds for a quick bite. She watched the children playing in the play area. One particular boy was sure to grow up and go to prison. He stole shoes out of the bin and hid them in the ball pit. Then the little sociopath watched children and parents search desperately while he watched and giggled. Yeah, his parents need to watch out for that one.

After eating, Carol made her way to the grocery store to stock up for the week. She began the familiar game of nice to see you again with a young college boy shopping in the opposite direction. The boy looked rather smart, but judging from his cart, he was a little childish. He had Lucky Charms, ice cream, beer, and a container of sprinkle cookies but just to be sensible a ready made salad. Oh to be young and foolish.

Carol went home, unloaded the groceries and began preparing dinner for her and Jack. Jack was working late again, but she knew that the project he was on required some specialized skill that only he had. He had joked that he was glad he had a trusting wife, but he didn't know that Carol had turned on his location finder on his phone and checked it regularly. She may be trusting, but not a fool. Carol finished all the prep work for dinner so she could just turn on the Instant Pot when Jack messaged her he was on his way. She made her way into the living room and turned on her favorite TV show, "Dr. Phil."

Carol thought that she could co-host with Dr. Phil and do an excellent job. She had many of his instincts, and shared his no nonsense way of dealing with people. He was just her type. However, today's show was about yet another out of control teen so Carol turned it off. She had dealt with so many of those as a teacher, that there was no need to tell her that it was the parents who needed discipline more than the kids.

Just at that moment, the doorbell rang. Carol looked at her phone and saw that it was the same young man from the grocery store. She answered via her phone.

"What can I do for you?"

"Oh, hi! I was just at the store and you dropped your ATM card in the parking lot. I looked your address up online and wanted to return it."

"Oh, okay, you can just leave it under the mat and I'll get it later."

Carol never opened the door when her husband wasn't home.

"Actually, I was hoping to talk to you. You probably don't remember me, but I was one of your students. Robbie Henderson?"

Carol thought for a few moments.

"Oh Yes! I'll be right there."

Robbie had been a good student, although quiet, and Carol remembered him as a sweet and shy boy. Robbie was an average student, but not otherwise remarkable.

"Come on in," said Carol when she opened the door.

"Okay, it's so nice to see you," exclaimed Robbie and he gave her a quick hug.

Carol stepped back and looked at her former student. He was of course taller and more fit than when he was her student, but she did recognize his face.

Robbie gave her a sly smile. Then without warning he punched Carol in the face. He wrestled her to the ground and zip tied her hands. He ushered her to the living room and sat her on the couch. Carol sputtered and asked what was going on. Robbie never replied until he said, "I'll let you go in just a minute, I just want money."

Carol could spot a liar a million miles away.

October 09, 2019 14:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.