THE RITUAL OF MOONLIGHT AND CRYSTAL POWER

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Start your story during a full moon night.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Inspirational

Light from the full moon filled the glade casting highlights on the faces of the people in the circle surrounding the boulder-sized clear crystal in the center of the glade. The crystal’s multiple spires gathered the Light and sent out its energies in all directions illuminating and energizing. There were stories passed down from generation to generation about the first finders of the glade and how the powerful crystal channeled and amplified the light of the full moon each month. This was this very glade where Sareena’s people gathered each month for their moonlight ritual in good times and bad.


Sareena’s favorite story was that long ago the Star Goddess had gathered all the magical folk together and told them tales that made them laugh and cry. The Star Goddess gathered the music of their laughter and the tears from their crying and placed those into a large cauldron; then seeded those contents with her special crystal growing power. She brought the cauldron to the glade and set it in the center in the light of a full moon. According to the story, the energy of the moonlight transformed the cauldron and its contents into the boulder-sized crystal now residing in the center of the glade. Over the generations, based on many experiences of the people, the stories about the powers of the crystal had expanded to include abilities such as healing, conquering darkness from both within and without, granting heartfelt wishes for the betterment of the people, and other powers that maintained balance in the lives and world of the people. It was this necessity for balance that brought Sareena’s people to the glade each night of the full moon every month.


This was such a night. Sareena and the rest of her people now sat on the grasses in the glade encircling the crystal and waiting. There was no priestess or priest guiding this ancient ritual. The people all knew what to do. They had done it many times. The signal to begin would come. Their duty was to wait in attentive silence until the signal came through to their minds from the combined energies of the moonlight and the crystal. Sareena loved this waiting part because generations of stories from past experiences assured the signal would come, but that also the shape it would take wasn’t predictable, thus providing an element of mystery and intrigue that she found exciting.


Each participant knew it was their individual duty to All That Is to remain patient and focused upon the crystal, using the power of their unity fueled by the crystal and the moonlight to be at one with each other, from the youngest to the oldest.


The signal came as a tingling vibration moving through them causing them to stretch out their arms joining hands with each person on either side of them and thus forming a human vibration receiver until that vibration turned into a chant that burst forth simultaneously from each one of their throats with each note rising and falling like waves of wind through the trees while fitting together harmonies and visions. Each month the chant was unique, another piece of their journey of life together. When the energies of the chanting reached a certain vibratory level, everyone dropped hands and began to dance to the chant keeping their place in the circle while the circle itself began to undulate around the crystal.


For Sareena, this was a most treasured part of the ritual. It was where an individual could flow with the energy of the group while seeking an answer within themselves such as asking for a specific healing or on even a broader scale, asking for restoration of balance by vanquishing an obstacle that was eroding the happiness and trust of the people.


In Sareena’s world, happiness and trust were fueled by love, not hate, by understanding not ignorance, by compassion not cruelty, by forgiveness not vengefulness, by kindness not meanness, by courage not fear, and by including others not excluding others. This was the balance. The monthly moonlight ritual was the key to keeping the balance, which was so essential to her people’s very existence.


Whenever a rupture occurred in the balance, that is when tears flowed and troubles multiplied. Since the last full moon, a dark cloud of fear had invaded the minds of the people diminishing their ability to manifest love in their lives. There had been cruelty, acts of vengeance, and hateful words causing a tsunami of troubles. Thus, the cleansing power of the moonlight infused crystal was presently of great significance. They all knew it. They knew this ritual on this night would require all their united efforts to vanquish fear and restore balance to their lives. They would give it their best. Would it be enough? That was the question.


As the vibrational pull of the struggle between the positivity of the Light and the negativity of the Dark ensued, the dancing and chanting became more frenzied. There were moments when the chanting was interrupted by an individual’s screams of agony as their greatest fear stood stark in their mind or another individual lost the rhythm of the dance and became frozen in place, a living sculpture of fear. Some people fell down writhing before their fellow dancers. When those things happened, the people remaining in the dance increased their focus on the ever intensifying Light now gleaming and spreading throughout the glade filling the space with one word from the people’s lips growing into a repetitive crescendo: LOVE-LOVE-LOVE. Helping hands reached out to the frozen and fallen. Comforting hands reached out to the terror stricken. The Light held steady suffusing the minds of all the people, cleansing them of fear, and restoring them to balance.


The people continued to dance and chant throughout the night. Sareena was amongst them as they circled the crystal. She lost all track of time and space. The Light enveloped her and lifted her spirit beyond the glade. She saw she wasn’t alone in this upliftment. As if from afar, screams ceased and the frozen and fallen rejoined the dance. All experienced the upliftment of the cleansing. Light had entered the people’s minds and was beaming out in all directions. The rupture to the balance was being healed.


When dawn came, Saleena felt immense gratitude and determination to go forth with Love as her constant companion. She could see that same commitment on the faces of all the people. Clearly the ritual to restore balance to the people had worked. The people’s minds were cleansed of their fears. They were sitting encircling the crystal, holding hands, completely at peace with one another and at one with All That Is.


July 08, 2023 02:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.