0 comments

Drama Fiction

An abrupt knock sounded at my window. I leapt up in surprise, my notebook flying across the room. I sigh, unlatching my window to the figure who had interrupted my study time.

His white teeth glowed in the moonlight.

“Ready?” My friend, Oliver asked.

I rolled my eyes, bounding back to my bed. I landed with a big flop.

”Oliver, it‘s 9 pm! Why would I want to go anywhere?”

Oliver hopped over my window frame, coming down to my bedroom floor.

“Lacey. It’s Friday, we need to go out and party.” Oliver tried to reason to me.

I glared at him, gesturing to my notebooks and pencils scattered on my bed and ground.

“Does it look like I have time to party?”

Oliver scrutinized the room, he met my glare and chuckled.

“So you’re willing to miss a party to study?” Oliver emphasized the word with pure mockery. He doesn’t understand that it’s senior year and I don’t have time for breaks. I had about millions of essays to write for the school of my choices. There was Stanford, Yale, and Princeton. Yes, I know. Those are hard to get into. Which is why I’m putting so much pressure on myself to excel, and make an impression for them. If I make it into this school, my parents will be so proud of me. Plus I didn‘t feel like going out to socialize.

“Why can’t you go yourself?” I wanted to know. There were so many other friends Oliver had. There had to be a catch on why he decided to bring me.

“Because, I need my best friend to be there.”

I squinted my eyes at him, crossing my arms with a dubious look.

“Or, it’s because I’m friends with Abby and you want to get with her.”

Oliver almost appeared taken aback that I figured out his intentions.

“Well, that too. Now come on.” Oliver took ahold of my hand, leading me back to the window.

“Wait, what about my parents? What if they find me gone?”

“I’ll take care of that.” Oliver responded, an edge of mischievous glinting in his eyes.

We both jumped out from my window. It was a 3 feet drop so, we weren’t harmed. His car was parked near my neighbor’s driveway. Oliver and I ran to his car quickly. I noticed the lights in my parents’ room on. I could just about make out a shadow of my mom standing by the window. I hope she doesn’t think to enter my room to see how my essay was going. We drove in silence down several avenues.

“Who’s party are we going to?” I finally asked, examining the dark lit street we pull into.

“Mckenzie Mayland.” Oliver answered, rotating the steering wheel. He reversed the car, exiting from the street I thought was our destination. Oliver’s expression was mixed with concentration and bewilderment. After a few minutes, I noticed we already passed the same lane twice.

“We’re lost, aren’t we?” I didn’t even have to ask really, it was painfully evident.

Oliver didn’t answer at first, instead he took a glimpse at my window side.

“I thought it was here.” He whispered in concentration. I silently scold myself for letting Oliver drag me all the way over here. Suddenly we both grew aware to a faint beam of red and blue lights. Oliver adjusted the rear view window. He bent his head, bashfully. I check too even though I know what it is. I spin the rear view window to an angle, and peer into it.

“Great. Cops." I say sarcastically.

“This is really bad. So bad. Bad, Bad.” Oliver nervously repeated.

“Just let me do the talking." I tell him.

Oliver gulped, nodding.

Even though there wasn’t a blaring noise from behind us, the red and blue lights hinted to pull over.

Oliver turned the car onto the nearby curb. The police car stopped shortly behind us. I could see the cop leave his car. Oliver kept his hands on the wheel. Wow. He gripped the wheels so hard, his hands were shaking.

I put a hand on his leg.

“It’ll be fine.” I reassure him.

“No. It won’t.” Oliver shut his eyes, leaning back against his seat.

I’m starting to think Oliver isn’t telling me something important. Before I can figure out what’s bothering him, the cop knocks on Oliver's window. Oliver has those old fashioned cars, so he rolls down the window with the lever.

“Hi officer.” I say in the nicest way possible.

The officer smiles at me, pulling out a sketch pad.

“Hello. Care to explain why you kids are driving around this neighborhood at this time of night?”

“Oh.” My voice brimming with innocence.

“We just got lost on our way to...”

I pause. I can‘t tell him about the party. I was 99% sure there was going to be booze.

“A friend’s house for a study session.” I finish, smiling. The officer glanced at Oliver. He had no expression, merely staring straight ahead.

"You attest to this son?”

Oliver stayed quiet for an uncomfortable amount of time.

“Yeah he can.” I answer for him, frowning at him. What was going on with him?

The cop narrowed his eyes at Oliver.

“License and registration son?”

Oliver finally looked at the officer. He had an apologetic smile on his face.

“Um, well the thing is. Uh I don’t have it.”

I almost fell out of my seat. I practically shot daggers at his side profile. What did he mean he didn’t have his driver’s license? He could get it suspended for driving without it!

“Please exit the vehicle folks.” The officer stepped back, waiting for us to get out.

“Oliver!” I whispered in a chastising tone.

“Why would you drive without a license?” I unbuckle my seat belt with anger. He does the same, except he removes it silently.

“I lost it months ago. I never got caught then. Sorry.” Oliver apologized.

“Just my luck. The day you get caught, I’m in the car with you. My parents are going to kill me.” I groan, leaving the car. I give it a slight slam with irritation.

When we’re in the back of the police car I tell him, “I’m never going out with you again.”

July 26, 2021 18:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.