0 comments

Fiction

The weather is sunny and moderately windy at Carol's Carnival Rides, a pop-up traveling carnival that has arrived in our area for the weekend. I'm surrounded by carnival games like The Milk Bottle game, Whack-a-Mole, Water Gun Race, Apple Basket Toss, basketball game, and more. To the right of me, I see a Balloons and Dart game, and a boy of about ten jumping up and down, hysterically happy after he manages to break a green balloon with one of his darts. "I can't believe I did it!" he proclaims eagerly to his pleased parents, a couple that looks like they are in their late thirties. The prizes at the booth appear to be a series of minion plushies from the Despicable Me movies, and I know that most kids will enjoy having one as a prize. 

I hear the lighthearted, gleeful, and silly screams on the carnival rides around me like the fun house, the kiddie coaster, a pendulum ride, bumper cars, the tilt-a-whirl, a Ferris wheel, and more. I watch parents walk hand in hand with their kids, partners holding hands, and parents as they chase after their kids, who are eager to check out the next game, ride, or eat at the plethora of carnival junk food booths that sell popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs, pizza, fries, caramel apples, soft pretzels, kettle corn, fried pickles, funnel cakes, and more. I even briefly watch a young boy of about four with a backpack leash, his young mom holding onto the end of the leash, still frantically trying to get him to slow down as he attempts to run over to a lady on stilts. The lady on the stilts is walking through the crowd, talking and joking to parents and kids alike. 

My dark hair blows in the wind as I pop my last mini-glazed donut into my mouth, enjoying the burst of sweet glaze as it coats my tongue, and makes its way down my throat. I take a moment to smooth down my wind-blown hair with my non donut glazed hand, and a couple of seconds later, I reach inside my large, black purse, which hangs off my left shoulder, pushing aside the snacks I brought for Cassie, as well as numerous receipts and tissues that I need to get rid of, to finally locate and pull out my Iphone. I wake up my phone to check the time. It's 2:07 PM. I put my phone back into my cluttered purse.

Directly in front of me is the medium-sized carousel, and I watch my 67-year-old dad and 6-year-old daughter ride slowly around in a circle. My dad sits on the bench closest to Cassie, my daughter, who is atop a white and red carousel horse with a painted, blue sash running diagonally across its body, going up and down, up and down, and I can see him mouthing the words, "This is fun" and "Grandpa is so happy to be on this trip with you, Cassie," to her as he turns toward her. Despite his gray hair, the wrinkles that line his tanned forehead, and his deep frown lines, he looks much younger and upbeat when she smiles. His eyes also crinkle when she laughs. 

Cassie, her long, dark hair blows in the wind, pieces of her hair already facing different directions, and I find myself ignoring the urge to smooth it down for her. Oblivious to almost everything else going on except the fun she is having, she turns toward my dad. "Grandpa!" she shouts excitedly to him, although he's only two feet away from her. "Come over here! You have to see the view from my horse!"

Although they have now rotated to the other side of the carousal, I can still see Cassie reach for my dad, beckoning him to stand beside her and he slowly gets to his feet and steps over to her horse. Finally, he stands up beside her on her horse, looking proud, placing his hand on the small of her back. As they come back around into full view on the carousel, I watch him mouth the words, "You're right, Cassie. This is the best view on the carousel. I'm so glad you convinced me to get up to see it." He smiles so wide that he reminds me of a Cheshire Cat - and my heart beats wildly, happily.

"Hi, Mommy!" Cassie exclaims, waving to me as she, my dad, and her horse are now fully in front of me. I worry for a second that she may be cold as she has taken off her green jacket and wrapped it around her waist, but I push the thought out of my mind as she looks unconcerned. Beside her, my dad waves to me too, his grin still wide, his brown eyes bright and teary-eyed with delight.

I wave back to them both, as they continue on their next loop.

"I took some video and tons of photos of them both," says Mark, my husband coming to stand beside me. In his dark, blue jeans, and green T-shirt, he looks casual and handsome, his brown hair looking sexy all windblown. "Your dad and Cassie sure do look happy. I'm glad he was able to join us today."

"Yeah," I answer. "I know he could use some joy in his life, and I guess it's hard not to feel cheerful around Cassie."

"Or at the optimistic power of a slow-moving carousel - and a red and white horse," jokes Mark. We both look at each other and laugh.

For the next few moments, we watch in silence as my dad and Cassie on the carousel continue to go around for another loop. 

Mark places his arm around my waist, leaning his head down into my shoulder and whispers, "I love you" into my ear.

My heart swells with pride and love and joy as I take in the beautiful scene and whisper, "I love you, too" back to him. 

And I know that this is one of those moments I wish I could freeze forever, but I do the only thing I can think to do at the moment. 

Enjoy it. 

June 01, 2024 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.