37 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

This was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. Finally...Graduation.

I was soon going to be a free woman, Iโ€™m not a little kid that grew up in a Southern ranch. I was an adult. But who knew this day would go so wrong...

**************************

โ€œI canโ€™t believe it.โ€ My best friend Fiona said. We were at my apartment getting ready to go shopping for Grad dresses.

โ€œI know right.โ€ I agreed...it felt like yesterday when I first went to college. I remembered mom crying as she waved at me from the airport.

ย I had decided to go to California for my Masters even though there were plenty of good colleges in my home state of Georgia. I mainly did not want to be treated like a baby...mom was...well letโ€™s say...over affectionate and overprotective. When I was in high school and I had finished giving my graduation speech mom had actually ran towards me at the stage...with everyone seeing and giving me a hug...I was flushed as I saw my classmates trying hard not to giggle.

When I decided to go to California mom didn't stop me which threw me off...mom would have never let me out of her sight...ever.

โ€œYou're all grown up...I canโ€™t keep you locked in the house...you need a break...but your old mother will miss you.โ€

That's all I had to hear. I was welling up tears. Turns out Iโ€™ll miss mom more than sheโ€™ll miss me.

โ€œAwww honey donโ€™t cry, you can stay here if you want.โ€ My mother knew me so well, she really didnโ€™t want me to leave that day.

I had convinced her a million times that I was going to be just fine on my own but mom...was just mom...she made sure I took my vitamins, made sure I brought the right kind of sunscreen...she was so helpless...to not be helpful.ย 

โ€œHello...earth to Bella...you there.โ€ Fiona said, snapping me back to reality.

โ€œYa, itโ€™s just I havenโ€™t seen my mom for three years and well sheโ€™s coming tomorrow for Grad but I guess Iโ€™m just nervous.โ€

โ€œI get ya, Iโ€™d feel the same way.โ€ Fiona said.

โ€˜Lucky for her to sayโ€™ I thought. Her parents were only an hour away from our campus. They visited her every Friday...Iโ€™d become really close with Mrs.Smith, Fionaโ€™s mother...she always reminded me of my loving mother back in Georgia...hours away from where I live.

Mrs.Smith made the best brownies which Fiona and I would gulp down in an instant. Fiona never cared if her mother treated her like a baby or embarrassed her in front of everyone...she was happy...that was all that mattered.

โ€œWhat about the pink one.โ€ I suggested. We were at Macy's as Fiona tried one by one all the dresses Macyโ€™s had to offer.

โ€œNah, to fancy.โ€ She replied as her eyes caught a purple floral dress.

โ€œNice choice.โ€ I remarked. While Fiona was endlessly searching for her spotlight dress I decided to rest for a bit. I sat at one of those rest areas as I pointed to different dresses to see if they appealed good to Fiona.

I was at the edge of dozing off when someone was tapping me on the shoulder...thinking it was Fiona I slowly opened my eyes.

โ€œFi...oh..um...can I help you?โ€ Standing in front of was a man, he looked like his early 30โ€™s. His eyes were cold as he stared at me. He had a suit on and his hair neatly combed under a hat. He kind of looked like a secret service guy that they show wherever the presidentโ€™s come to the public.

โ€œYes, you can actually, is your last name Alvarez?โ€ He asked in a suspicious voice as if I would try to lie my way out.

โ€œYes.โ€ I said point-black...wait...how does he know my last name?

โ€œWhatโ€™s your name...miss.โ€ He asked again suspiciously.

โ€œWhy do you need to know?โ€ I was one step away from calling the cops and running out of this uncomfortable position.

โ€œItโ€™s...your mother.โ€ He slowly said...trying to read my emotions.

โ€œMom...what happened to her.โ€ I was freaking out.

โ€œNothing.โ€ The man quickly said. โ€œSheโ€™s all right, she just came here and well she asked me to search for you.โ€

โ€œSheโ€™s already here...I thought she would come tomorrow.โ€

โ€œEh...she came early I guess.โ€ He shrugged as he said that.

โ€œWhere is she?โ€ I looked around hoping to catch a glimpse of her but she was nowever to be seen.

โ€œSheโ€™s not here, sheโ€™s in a...hotelโ€ฆโ€ He added.

โ€œOh.โ€

โ€œBella...do youโ€ฆโ€ Fiona stopped, she was holding the purple dress she had chosen before as she stared at the mysterious man. โ€œWhoโ€™s this?โ€ She asked me.

Before I could reply the man piped up.

โ€œIโ€™m Trevor, her mother has sent me to find her.โ€ He said pointing at me.

โ€œYour momโ€™s here!โ€ Fiona said as she grabbed my hand and led me to the exit.

โ€œFiona...slow down.โ€ I said as I was being dragged like a dog on a collar.

The man followed us as Fiona and I quickly paid for her dress and left the store.

I looked back to see that Trevor was texting someone. Maybe it was mom?

โ€œShe said sheโ€™ll meet us at your place.โ€ He called back. โ€œTomorrow.โ€

โ€œWhy tomorrow, when sheโ€™s here already.โ€ Fiona pointed out.

โ€œUm, she wanted to get ready.โ€ He said hesitating.

Fiona shrugged as we reached our place. The man still followed us.

โ€œDo you need anything?โ€ I asked, trying to not be rude.

โ€œNo, I just wanted to know the address so I could bring your mother here.โ€ With that he left, coming the way we came.

โ€œWeird.โ€ Fiona said once we were inside.

โ€œWho, that Trevor guy?โ€ I asked.

โ€œ...Oh no not that, I meant that I had a matching necklace to go with this dress that I didn't even realize matched...weird right.โ€ Fiona replied.

โ€œYa...right.โ€ I said, not even knowing what she even said...I felt something was going to be off. I felt like tomorrow was going to be bad for some reason...I didn't know why I felt like this.

โ€˜Iโ€™m going to graduate, tomorrow should be the best day of my lifeโ€™ I reminded myself...I hoped I was right.

I woke up to the sun shining on my face. I blocked it with my hand. I looked across the room to see that Fiona had already got up and she was making pancakes.

โ€œYou hungry?โ€ She asked me when she saw I had woken up.

โ€œYa.โ€ I replied, getting up.

I took a quick shower and wore some warm clothes as I sat down at the table. Just when I was about to have my first bite the doorbell rang.

โ€œIโ€™ll get it.โ€ Fiona volunteered.

โ€œOh, hi.โ€ I heard Fiona say.

โ€œHi, you must be Fiona, Bella told me all about you.โ€ I heard the newcomer say.

I got up and I stared past Fiona...With the same loving face that I had seen when I was growing up...it was mom.

I waited no second as I was soon in her arms hugging her.

โ€œOh, my little Bell, I missed you so much.โ€ My mother kept saying as she cried happy tears.

โ€œI missed you too.โ€ I said.

Fiona kept looking at the door as if someone else was to come.

โ€œWhereโ€™s Trevor?โ€ She asked my mom.

โ€œHuh...whoโ€™s that?โ€ My mom asked, confused.

โ€œThe guy you asked to help you find me.โ€ I replied.

โ€œWhat?โ€ Mom was clearly confused now.

โ€œDidn't you come here yesterday?โ€™โ€™ I asked, now worried.

โ€œNo, I left yesterday night and came today at 5 a.m.โ€

โ€œThenโ€ฆโ€ Fiona started but she stopped. โ€œMaybe it was a misunderstanding.โ€ She finally said.

I smiled, as I nodded, but mom looked pale as if she'd seen a ghost.

โ€œMom you ok?โ€

โ€œYa?โ€ Except she said that like a question, like she doesn't know if she is ok or not. โ€œCome on girls, letโ€™s get you ready, todayโ€™s your big day.โ€ย 

In less than an hour mom had finished Fionaโ€™s arrangements.ย 

โ€œWow, Fiona...you look lovely.โ€ I said... I was so proud of her.

Her purple dress flowed all the way through her feet. She had on mascara and a dark magenta eye shadow. Her brown hair was decorated with beads and tied into a bun...she looked elegant.

โ€œYour turn.โ€ Fiona said.

โ€œI can do it myself.โ€ I countered.

Mom didn't listen as she soon started to apply makeup on my face. When makeup was done mom bought me a plastic bag.

โ€œOpen it.โ€

I looked inside...there was the most beautiful dress Iโ€™d ever seen...it was silver decorated in light pink flowers...mom helped me put it on.

I stood in front of the mirror as mom did my hair.

When I finally showed Fiona, she had almost fainted with happiness. We hugged, careful not to rub our makeup.

โ€œWelcome one and all to the Greenville college graduation ceremony, I am so proud of all of you....โ€

Fiona and I looked at each other, hand in hand as the principal gave his speech. Fiona was trying not to cry but there were small tears coming out of her eyes. I squeezed her hand...she smiled.

Everyone in our classes gave small speeches to the crowd...I almost cried myself when Fiona mentioned how much I had meant to her.

When I had a chance to speak, I grabbed the ends of my dress as I made my way through the crowd and up the stairs.

โ€œI would like to thank you for such a great experienceโ€ฆโ€ I had started, I looked at Fiona giving me a thumbs up...all my teachers were smiling...I searched for mom...I finally spotted her at the very end...she seemed to be in tears. I smiled at her...then I saw himโ€ฆ he had something in his hands...I couldn't tell what it was from where I stood.

I was on the edge as I tried to focus on my speech but something kept bugging me that I was losing time, I didn't know what to do...some kids started to become impatient as I just stood there staring back to see what was going on back there...when I heard the noiseโ€ฆ.

โ€œMom...Iโ€™m coming.โ€ I yelled as I dived through the crowd, everyone seemed to be confused and frightened at what was going on. I finally saw her, she had blood oozing from her, I cried...harder than ever before...I didnโ€™t care if people thought I was a baby...I didn't care about what they would say, I cared about momโ€ฆ

โ€œIโ€™m sorry.โ€ My mother managed to say. โ€œItโ€™s my fault, I did... something wrong... in the past, Iโ€™m suffering for it now.โ€

โ€œMom, donโ€™t leave me.โ€ I kept saying...but by then it was too late....

November 15, 2020 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Akshaya โœจ
06:32 Nov 18, 2020

Hi Varsha! Your story is really nice. I like the way you used the prompt to turn it into an interesting story. I do wonder who Trevor is, and what Bella's mother may have done in the past. Meanwhile, I'll read the backstory as well!

Reply

Thanks so much, in the backstory you will learn who Trevor is and what Bella's mother did as well!

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
15:20 Nov 18, 2020

Yeah. I read it, too. It was fantastic! Keep it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wolfy ๐Ÿบ
16:12 Nov 17, 2020

It's really good, it was a good idea to make it about a graduation :)

Reply

I'm writing a back story about her mother, be sure to check it out once I'm done!

Reply

Wolfy ๐Ÿบ
17:56 Nov 17, 2020

I will! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:45 Dec 08, 2020

Hello Varsha! You asked for some advice, and I'm only too happy to oblige :) I like your story because the tone is maintained throughout the passage. Like, it's not suddenly jumping from happy to sad, to angry, etc. You have wonderful descriptions and the dialogue is perfect! The characters are lifelike and very relatable ;) If you had more words before you hit 3k, I would have advised you added some more description to the dresses. As much as leaving things to the reader's imagination is a beautiful technique, sometimes readers pre...

Reply

Thank you Sythe for your input, I'll try to add more details next time:) Your friend -Varsha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:33 Nov 27, 2020

Wow! Great story! :) Will there be a sequel to this??

Reply

16:57 Nov 28, 2020

Which one? I'd like to check it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:56 Nov 28, 2020

:)

Reply

18:11 Nov 28, 2020

Alright! I'll read it now! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
18:48 Nov 23, 2020

Oh my gosh, this story is so amazing. Thiers like two stories going on. Two girls graduating from prom and then the weird man at the store who ends up affecting the ending. My heart was pounding the whole time.

Reply

Aww, thank you Rachel, I'm glad you liked it! If you want to know in more details do check out the backstory and all the other parts.

Reply

Echo Sundar
19:15 Nov 23, 2020

Okay! Whats the back story called?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
03:22 Nov 23, 2020

Wow, this story is incredible!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Adrian Solorio
19:07 Nov 22, 2020

I thought about doing a graduation plot as well but decided on something different. You totally took this someplace I never would have considered. Well done! I actually thought that Trevor was going to end up being the physical representation of death and that Bella's mother was a ghost or something. So, I was definitely surprised by the ending. Hah! Was Bella's mother an assassin?

Reply

Thank you, if you read the backstory you will understand about Trevor and Bella's mother.

Reply

Adrian Solorio
20:02 Nov 22, 2020

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
22:04 Nov 21, 2020

Amazing work! I liked the idea of Graduation (Funny how we did the same thing??? I hadn't read yours before I wrote mine). I also liked the suspense about Trevor and about Bella's mother's backstory. My only piece of feedback is that there are some grammatical errors, but nothing too major. [โ€œNah, to fancy.โ€] Change it to the other form of 'to' Other than that, well done! :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:48 Nov 21, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

If you like this story do check out the backstory posted just recently...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.