2 comments

Science Fiction

"You need to be careful out there," My parents used to tell me. "You don't know what's going to happen to you when you get there when you-" And that's all I heard from them. It's been 75 years since I've seen them. I'm trapped in a strange planet. Ever since I came here, I have changed my name. I have to hide my identity. If they found out that I was from Earth, they would chop my head clean off.

I changed my name to Light Blue since my hair is blue. Now, you're probably wondering where I'm at. Well, dear friend, I'm in Tarva, a planet that is stuck in 2077. The cities are bigger and more colorful than Earth. Last time when I was on Earth, it was the year 2002. Tarva has been a wonderful place. I now have an orange robot named Robo.

Robo has been with me since I've come here. Old man Jen gave it to me as a "gift". I don't really know why he even gave it to me. I have an apartment near downtown Tarva. The room is a little messy. As I lay in my soft warm bed, I thought about what my parents said to me before I left.

It brings tears to my eyes. Luckily, Robo would comfort me in every way that he could. "Why are you crying ?" he asked me, his robotic eyes staring into mine. I had never lied to him once. I didn't want to tell him what was going through my mind. He had never lied to me so, why should I lie to him? We've known each other for 75 years. Maybe I should just tell him.

"Robo, if I told you this, would you ever tell anyone?" I asked. Robo shook his head. "Of course not!" He promised. "Friends don't tell other friends'secrets no matter what!"

I was very delighted. I knew I could trust him. "I'm originally from Earth."

Robo was taken back. "Light, are you joking?" I wanted to be but, I wasn't. "No, I'm not."

Robo took me by the hand. "It's okay if you are now tell me, how did you get here?"

I looked him in the eye. "It all started in 2002, I wanted to become an astronaut when I was 12," I began.

"My parents believed in me. They signed me up to go to the moon. A group of people told me to be careful. Before I came here, my Mom and Dad told me to be careful and I don't know what will happen. That was the last thing they ever said to me."

I could tell by Robo's face, he feels really bad for me. He wiped the tears from my face. "Let's get something to eat, shall we?" I smiled at him. "Yes, let's eat." Robo took me by the hand. "Let's go"

We walked out of the dark apartment. The breeze was picking up. Everywhere we went, we saw cars flying in the air. Only the rich people were allowed to buy them since they have enough money to afford one.

A couple of people were walking on the sidewalk, chatting. I glanced over at Robo, who was happily whistling. "Where are we going to eat?" I asked.

He stopped whistling and pointed at a brand new restaurant. "There is a new restaurant for robots and humans alike." He explained. As we took a step inside, I saw how nice and neat everything was. The vibrant color of pink blue and black played around in the building.

Robo found a seat for us. He pulled a seat for me to sit in." This made me feel a little weird. Robo was acting strange.

We've been together for 75 years and he never did that. Mostly, he will find a seat for us and then he will sit in his seat. Maybe he is still upset about me not being able to see my parents again. I thought.

But then again, my parents are surely dead. No doubt about it. The only person I can lean on is Robo since he's the only one that cares. He has always been by my side through thick and thin. I couldn't have asked for a better friend than him.

The waitress came over to take our order. "What would you two like to have today?"

Robo looked at the menu for robots. He can't have water since it will destroy his whole body. I was hungry for a juicy burger. "I'm ready for my order."

The waitress looked at me. "Ok, Ma'am, what would you like?"

I pointed to the cheese burger. "Yes, ma'am, and what would you like sir?" He asked Robo.

"I just want some oil."

The waitress wrote it all down. "The food will be ready."

As he walked away, I finally had the time to talk to him. We were the only ones here at this new restaurant. I kept having flashbacks when I was on Earth. This restaurant reminds me of the time my parents took me out to eat. We would laugh and talk about how school was for me. I was 5 when that happened. When I was 11, about to turn 12 , I had a thing about building robots. My parents would always argue with me that it might be too dangerous and I would accidentally hurt myself.

"Get off my back!" I would yell.

Since I started to make robots, everyone in school thought I was cool. I spend more time with my peers than my own family. I didn't even say anything to them when I left. Now, I'm regretting it. I cared more about being famous than my own parents.

The food was ready. Robo sucked some of his oil. Me on the other hand, couldn't take a bite since I was depressed about what had happened 75 years . I know that I can't change the past. Robo noticed me not eating. He took my hand once again and held it tight, "Please don't be sad, Light, " He told me. "I'm not leaving your side no matter what."

I placed a smile on my face to keep from crying. "And I won't leave your side,Robo."

*Bonus*: So, I know it may be sloppy but, it's almost midnight here in Washington. I'm making a better one in my notebook tomorrow. About the two characters, I created Light when I was in 5th grade. She was shy and independent. She was supposed to be in my series "Toshi and friends" but I changed it since I had too many characters. Toshi and friends were also created in 5th grade. Anyway, for "Unknown Life", do you think it should be a romance between Robo and Light or just make them friends? I really need help. And for Toshi and Friends. I don't know what the plot should be about. PLEASE HELP!

February 18, 2024 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Angela M
14:35 Feb 20, 2024

Hi Nikaya! I really enjoyed reading your story. It has great world building and I am also curious about how the relationship between the two characters will pan out. I would love to see more about the lore behind what exactly happened to Earth. It would be great to see a more complicated relationship between Robo and Light. It doesn't have to be romantic. Some friendships can be complicated because of lack of trust or jealousy. I look forward tor reading more! <3

Reply

Nikaya O'Neal
15:19 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you very much! I've been writing stories my whole life. But, I'm juggling with school and the military right now. I'll try to work on more stories. Thank you and have a good day

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.