0 comments

Fiction

Can a tree be beautiful? I ask myself that same question everyday when I walk past the Rose Tree on my way to work, on my way home and when I'm sitting on the bench looking at the tree.

I see its beauty from afar and from near, the Rose Tree is a magnificent beauty and one that should be cherished.

I see the Rose Tree as a beautiful part of nature that we should all take care of, but not many people see the Rose Tree like I do.

Over the years many people have sought to destroy the Rose Tree, but thanks to people like me who see the Rose Tree for what it is, saved the Rose Tree, and now the Rose Tree is designed as a historical property.

I'm happy and relieved the tree I love to see is right where it needs to be, but lately I've been wondering about the true history of the Rose Tree.

How did the Rose Tree come to be where it is? Who planted the Rose Tree? And why in this very spot?

In order for me to find the answers I seek I am going to go to the New York historical society.

So I arrive at the New York historical society. I enter the building and ask one of the workers about the Rose Tree. She directs me to the back.

I take a seat at the table, the lady takes out a book, a very old book and hands it to me. She tells me the history of the Rose Tree is in the book.

I open the book and begin to read.

I look at the first page and it's a picture of New York. I read the caption and it says New York Harbor 1777.

I scroll down and I see the passage about the Rose Tree. It reads:

The Rose Tree planted by patriot hero Samuel Allerton for his beloved Rose Worthington.

Samuel Allerton and a few of his patriot brothers snuck into New York late at night and planted the Rose Tree.

If Samuel Allerton was a patriot and he had to sneak into New York and New York at that time was a loyalist paradise, then what did that make Rose Worthington.

"Rose Worthington came from one of the most prominent families in New York and one of the most loyal families to the crown."

I look back and see the historian.

"So, what happen?"

"Keep reading."

I turn the page and find an article about the Worthington family and it's not a good article.

It reads: The Worthington family, patriarch Nathaniel, his wife Ann, two sons Daniel and Henry, and daughter Rose are the most vile and traitorous family to ever live in America.

Wow this is unbelievable. So, why did Samuel plant the Rose Tree for Rose? If this family was as bad as they come, how did Samuel get mix up with her?

I turn the page to read more, but I find pictures. One of them is of Rose Worthington, and I look just like her. I stare at the picture for what seems like hours, but only a few minutes pass.

"Excuse me dear. Are you okay?"

I shake my head.

"Come with me dear."

"Where are we going?"

"The story of the Rose Tree isn't finished for you dear."

"Why?"

"There is more to Rose Worthington than this book is telling you."

"Okay."

The lady takes me to the back of the building, she pulls out another book, this one as old as the other book.

"Here is the truth about Rose and Samuel."

I open the book. This book is about the patriots. I see a picture of Samuel. He looks so handsome. Next to him is Rose. I don't understand this.

"What does this mean?"

"What is your name dear?"

"My name is Sandy Flores."

"Hello Sandy. My name Julie. I know a lot about your family history."

"You do. How?"

"Your grandmother told me, and she said one day you will walk into this very building and ask about the Rose Tree."

"Wow."

"Keep reading."

I keep reading. It goes on to say:

Rose and Samuel fell in love, but because of Rose's family, their love was denied. Samuel's patriot brothers had no trust of Rose because it was Rose's. family that betrayed the cause, and betrayed so many of their brothers, but that didn't stop Samuel nor Rose from being with each other.

As time went on Rose began to pass information to the patriots, information that helped them win battle after battle, eventually Rose's father found out what she was doing and threaten to send her to England if she didn't caught off all communication with Samuel.

Samuel had a brilliant idea and his idea became the Rose Tree. On a cold winter's night Samuel and a few of his patriot brothers snuck into New York and planted the Rose Tree. Every night on the 5th of each month Samuel would go to the Rose Tree and secretly plant his codes for Rose.

Rose didn't know about the Rose Tree until one of the slaves who works for the family told her about the tree. That very night Rose with the help of the slave snuck out of her room and went to the Rose Tree.

Rose looked at the tree and knew of only one person who could have done this. It was Samuel. Rose was happy. She eventually found the code that Samuel left, and she translate it.

The code read: "To my beautiful Rose. I left you this tree as a momentum of my undying love to you and the cause for our great nation."

So every 10th night of each month Rose left secret codes for Samuel and the patriots.

"Julie."

Julie turns to me.

"What happened to Rose and Samuel?"

She looks at me and points to me.

"Me?"

"You are what happened to Rose and Samuel."

"I don't understand."

"Rose and Samuel are your many times over great grandparents."

"Really."

"After the war ended, Rose's family fled to England, but not Rose. She stayed and married Samuel under the Rose Tree."

This is unbelievable. I'm related to Rose Worthington and Samuel Allerton, the great patriot.

"Thanks Julie."

"No problem."

I went to the New York historical society looking for answers about the Rose Tree and I come out of the New York historical society finding out that I am relate to the man who planted the Rose Tree and it's namesake.

I go back to the park, sit down on the bench, and look at the beauty that is the Rose Tree.

I say to myself "this is tree belongs to my family."

August 12, 2021 22:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.