0 comments

Contemporary Friendship Teens & Young Adult

It was just one Sunday when they met. 

Ace was sitting there, staring out the window as the buildings pass him by. It was so serene. It was as if he was at peace. 

Jade had her own smile while standing in front Ace. She couldn't hide her fondness for how Ace looked. So calm. She wished she was too. For a moment, at least, she was. Thanks to him.

"Have a seat, miss." Ace’s deep and husky tone brought Jade out of her trance. She stared down at him, paling as she realized that she must've looked dumb with a smile on.

"Oh! Uhm. Thanks." Jade stuttered as she sat in Ace’s place, her head down, eyes on her shoes.

Jade couldn't raise her head up, still shy and stunned. Also because her anxiety started to creep back in as people stared when she sat. It was too much. Why is sitting down such a big deal? Should it be? 

What's wrong with me? Jade thought to herself.

But then Jade hears him again and everything just melts inside her. His laugh was so cute. It made the smile creep back up her face.

Her eyes still trained on Ace’s feet, she noticed how they kept on moving. Then she realizes how he might be having a hard time balancing. The train ride is not a smooth one especially now that the trail keeps making zigzags.

"Have a seat, mister." Jade patted the now empty space beside her, hoping that he would take the seat beside hers. He smiled down at her as he occupied the seat. His smile is so blinding. It leaves her breathless. 

How can one train ride make him smile? Is it the view? Is it the fact that it's a Sunday, families buzzing on the ride as they make small talk of their one-day vacation?

How Jade wishes to smile genuinely like him.

_

[Ace]

It was so embarrassing how I kept missing my balance. Her eyes were always on my feet. I feel like I'm being judged. Is it too obvious that this was my first train ride ever? I must look so pathetic.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked me after some moments of silence between us. I laughed awkwardly, my sweaty palms hidden behind my neck.

"That obvious, huh?"

"Obvious?" Her eyes, my favorite shade of green that I can't put a name on, stare at me. Question marks all over her face.

"Yeah. Obvious that this was my first train ride?" My voice is so low, not wanting anyone else to hear me.

"Oh, it is?" She covers her mouth as she giggles quietly. "Don't worry. It's our secret then."

She smiles so sweetly. No judgement in her voice and eyes. Why couldn't I have met her sooner? Why now when everything is-

"Hey? Don't think too much about it. Everyone has their own first experience on train rides. I did too."

Warm. So warm. The sun from the window feels so warm as she talks about her first train ride when she was in high school. She was fun to talk to. No awkward silence once she remembers another story in the middle of her current one.

"So, where's your stop?" She takes a breath as she finishes her story.

"Nowhere. I mean-" I couldn't stop the laugh that escaped me. Her face was priceless. And she even dare ask if I was homeless or if I ran away. She was willing to take me in, a total stranger, in her home.

Why did I have to meet her? Why just now? The year has what? More than 300 days and I had to meet her at the most unconventional time of my life.

I told her how I just wanted a look at the city from a different view since my hotel window, although better than any paintings in my hotel room, was getting too repetitive for me. Always the same view of the same city. I told her how suffocated I felt even if I was free to leave anytime. I told her how I wanted to have my windows change views every time I wake up.

"I hate routines." The train arrived at it's next stop. People come and go. "So, your stop?" I added quietly, my eyes passing by her own green ones before coming back to the train windows.

"I get down at the last station. That's where my school is. Just a few minutes of walking after this long ride."

"Last station it is, then."

_

A joy rider. Must have all the time in the world. Nothing but views to think of. Jade’s thoughts were going here and there as she assumed everything and nothing about the man.

But she spots a camera bag so she asks, "A photographer?" 

"Hmm. You could say so, yeah, I guess?" Again, Jade is met with a serene smile.

A click and a flash caught her off guard. Her eyes see green spots for a moment as she tries to blink away the blurriness.

"Sorry about that." Ace chuckles as he puts his camera away.

"You shouldn't have done that. Nothing worth seeing here." Jade gestures over her face, and her palms sweating as she tries to laugh the anxiety away. 

Not here Not now. Not after the people have moved on from the quick flash of light from our seat. Not ever, please.

"Hey. Are you ok, miss? I'm really sorry. I just wanted a candid shot of you because-"

"Yes, I'm ok. Just not used with cameras and all. Those things hate me. They almost always break after having me as their target."

"How come? Well, I think my camera likes you. Not broken at all. See?" Ace takes out his camera and offers it to Jade.

Ace shows Jade the photo he took of her, as well as his hotel room window view. He showed her a picture of him with his dog. A picture of him and his older brothers. Pictures of other places he's been to. 

Beautiful. Everything he took a picture of was beautiful. 

Even the one he took of me. 

Jade thought she looked normal. She looked surprised, but happy. Like she had no worries aside from the butt sore she would have to nurse from sitting down from the long train ride.

Ace took his camera back and stared down at it on his lap, his serene smile never leaving his lips as Jade’s candid shot reflected on the screen. He can't help but smile as well. 

Jade then laughed lightly with the thought that someone appreciates her even in an unconventional way.

_

[Ace]

I wish I rode a different train cart. Or maybe I should've never ridden a train in the first place. I could've ridden a plane and flew back to where people were waiting for me. I could've stayed home and not get lost. I could've continued fighting even if I see myself losing. At least I fought and lost with no regrets. There is harm in trying, but there is also knowledge. Knowing that you fought though you knew your fate is a win in itself. You at least fought.

Your fall would not be in vain.

Why did I have to meet Jade in the most inconvenient time? She left me with regrets but also a new found determination to fight. I will keep running.

But this time, I will run towards my dream. I'll fight if I have to.

November 07, 2021 06:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.