0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Friendship

Before the story, I want to say, thank you for the support on my first story. I love you already and hope you enjoy Kassie's Newsletter! Enjoy my lovelies!

-Katelyn :3


"Ten, Twenty, thirty." Thirty dollars in a week? Are you kidding me? I sighed as I placed the money in the jar, and closed it tight. I needed a new job. I really did. I grabbed my phone and started texting my mom, when the phone rang. Unknown Number. Huh, how weird. I sighed and swiped left.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hello, is this Kassie Carmon?" The lady on the phone asked.

Who was this lady and how did she know my name?

"Yes, this is her. Can I help you?"

"Wonderful, I'm apart of New York's Newsletter. We have a job opening and we would love you to be apart of the team." She told me.

What?! Me apart of the best Newsletter team? Holy cow I must be dreaming.

"Is this a scam?" I managed to ask.

"No ma'am."

"O-of course I will be apart of the team! I would love to. When can I start?" I asked, filled with joy.

"Wonderful. Tomorrow at noon?" She asked, as I could hear her smile in her voice.

"I will be there." I said, then I hanged up. I could not believe this. This is amazing. I then called my boss, who was in charge of the crappy café I worked at.

"Mr. Salvo?"

"What?" He barked.

"I got a better job. I'm quitting. I will no longer be working for you."

"Great. I don't care." He said then hanged up. I laughed then called my best friend, Marley.

"Kassie?" She asked.

"Marley, Hi! I just got the job at New York's Newsletter!" I yelped with joy.

"Are you kidding me?!" She screamed, happily.

"No!" I responded.

"Kassie, that is amazing! I'm so happy. When do you start?"

"Tomorrow at noon."

"Why don't we celebrate by having dinner together tonight?"

"Sounds like a plan."

That night, we decided to eat at a Italian place, completed with ice cream.

"I'm so happy Kassie." Marley said, hugging me after we finished eating.

"Me too. I couldn't think I would get a job offer like that." I said, still in awe.

"You are amazing, you should have gotten that job offer when it first started. Listen, I know that I said we would work together, it turns out, I was fired. That's why there is a job opening." She said.

What?

"What? You got fired?" I asked, looking at her.

"Yeah, my mom got really sick and I had to take time off to help her. I stayed longer than my work days, then we I can back, they fired me."

I didn't say a word but just hugged her.

"I'm so sorry Marley. That was not cool."

"I can't afford my apartment now, and I might have to live on the streets." She sobbed.

"Marley, you can move in with me. There is no need to cry. Its okay." I held her tighter.

This was my best friend and she was in trouble. This was the least I could do for her.

"Are you sure?" She coughed.

I nodded.

"Thank you Marley! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She said, hugging me.

"Of course, why don't we watch a movie tonight?" I asked.

"Sure." She smiled. We scurried to the car and drove over to my place. We finally agreed on 'The Princess Bride', mostly because we haven't watched it in years, and it was a favorite of ours.

"Are you sure you are fine with me moving in with you?" Marley asked, eating some popcorn.

"Of course it is! What friend would I be if I threw you on the streets?"

"A pretty bad friend." She laughed.

"I would need a metal for being the worst."

We both shared a laughed, then focused back on the movie.

That week, I started my job. It was hard, but it was worth it. The boss was very kind, and even offered Marley's job back. We both officially work together and try to get newspapers out.

2 years later, Marley got married to a man named Asher and moved out. They had 2 wonderful kids, Mark and Grace. I also, did get married to the love of my life, Liam and we don't have any kids yet. Maybe one day. I ended up making a wonderful newspaper that sold out in a week. Liam and I still live in New York, but sadly, Marley and her family moved to Wisconsin for Asher's job. We still call and chat everyday as we tell each other how our jobs are going. I eventually made my own business, and worked with New York's Newsletter. It made both of our business successful.

Liam surprised me to a trip to Hawaii for our anniversary. It was magical. For some reason, that wasn't enough. Marley and Asher was also there for a surprise. After a magical 2 weeks, we had to go back to our lives. I was very sad, but we promised next year, we would do the same thing. (Maybe). Oh wait! I forgot. I named my business, Kassie's Newsletter. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?



Thank you so much for reading! I had a blast making this. I did have to work during some class periods, but it was worth it. Some names are actually names of my friends and family. I would like to say thank you my family for being there for me, helping me, and not giving up on me. Also thank you, my friends for making me laugh and smile. Special thank you to you guys! Thank you so much for encouraging me. It would take me a million years to repay you. Make sure to follow me! I post new stories, every single week. Thank you again for reading, I love you soo much! Stay safe and Merry christmas!!!!

December 15, 2020 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.