3 comments

Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

June 17th 

Local police surround the area of the house of 21 year old Jason Florence.  Jason Florence was a young college student who recently moved out of his parent’s house to share a 3 room apartment with two of his closest friends.  Police are investigating the cause of death, but it has been rumored to be a cause of murder… 

I never thought how littered my friend’s room was until I had to clean it for him.  At least, Jason, the other roommate, knew how to clean up when it was the proper time.  Now, don’t get me wrong about the fact that I’m acting like the mom of the household.  Those two could be as messy as they want to be, but when the owner of the apartment was coming over late for inspection, it’s a different story.  Jason knew about the inspection when I told him and Dillon two weeks in advance over dinner.  Jason kept his word, but Dillon… man this is going to take a whole day to clean this room.  I never understood the idea of throwing around used clothes all across the room as if it was a carpet.  Actually, it might be a carpet with the main shirts and jeans being blue.  The two boys were still at work at the local retail place we all work at for three years now to help keep the bills afloat.  I got off half an hour early to make sure the house was ready for inspection.  Somebody had to take charge of the responsibilities and by the looks of Dillon’s room it was not going to be him.  About half an hour later, I cleaned up the carpet of clothes and started to straighten up the bed only to notice a box with a chain around it.  I thought it was odd as I knew Dillon was not the secretive one.  I don’t know why I was curious about the box, but I wanted to know because it kept nagging at my head.  Even after I got out of his room to wait for their arrival, it kept nagging at me although it felt like betrayal.  I didn’t want it to feel betrayal because after all I knew Dillon since first grade.  The two of us knew each other’s journey with our parents and social life.  I was his closest ally, and me as his closest ally.  Then again, my mind told me he would do the same thing if I had a box with a chain around it.  I looked at the clock and saw I had 5 minutes before they would arrive as they just got off work and it would take them 5 minutes to reach the house, 10 minutes if I called on the god of trains.  I made up my mind when I sprinted back to his room from the kitchen.  Only to trip on one of the kitchen chairs.  I quickly got up and finally reached his door where I went to the box which was in the same place that I found it.  Opening up would be easy even with the chain because knowing Dillon, it was only for show.  Then, I noticed that it had a small padlock on it and I thought that was odd because Dillon never locks anything.  I had no time to figure out how to get it open as I heard a car door, and I realized both of them were back.  

Day of murder

I never thought I would walk into the front of my living room to see one of my roommates laying dead straight in the middle of the floor with an ax stuck straight through the head and a puddle of blood all over the carpet.  I must have thought I was crazy right there as my first thought was the landlord killing me for getting red carpet instead of the blue carpet he wanted me to buy.  Then I glanced over to where the chair by the TV, where Dillon was sitting.  Only he was not awake, as I ran to where he was and noticed he was knocked out.  It looked like he was hit in the head, but not with the ax as it would have killed him.  Then, I saw the baseball bat laying right next to his feet.  Keeping calm in this situation was not easy, but I would not bring myself to tears yet.  Not until I called the police.  I grabbed my phone out of my pocket where my lock screen was the wallpaper of me and Dillon.  That almost made me grab the ax for myself, only until I realized that Dillon still had a chance to be saved.  I called the police and then slouched over to the wall to weep over how alone I felt at that moment.  

When the police came, and did their investigation, I was told to keep outside and be questioned by many authorities while Jason and Dillon were transported into an ambulance where only Jason was covered up.  I felt alone truly at that moment when the two closest allies I had were either dead or badly injured.  I was able to go back inside to get some belongings after the police said an investigation would be held for murder.  I was of course a suspect, but I say the police were certain I was not the killer after all the information I gave them.  After getting some belongings in my room, I headed to Jason’s room to see it one more time after it would be under investigation.  I walked in where everything looked neat, and that was a surprise because it was past inspection day for the landlord.  I scanned the little hole in the middle of the hall where it was punched by Dillon after we joked he could not hit it hard enough to make a dent.  Little did we know the strength he had that day.  His strength easily beat ours.  As I stared at that hole lost in the memories, I saw something shiny in there, and noticed it was a little silver key.  It reminded of the padlock lock of the box that Dillon had. I figured Dillon put it there because it would be the one place nobody would expect, and it was a place for him to remember.  I quickly went into Dillon’s room where it was also clean.  I grabbed the box, and hurried up to open the box knowing that police would question what was inside of it.  They could have their investigation all to themselves, but the secret that Dillon wanted for him to know only, well at least it would be broken by his closest friend and not by strangers.  I opened up the box and noticed a notebook with a fallout New Vegas cover on it. Dillon was obsessed with that game, and as I flipped through the pages, I noticed it had dates and times on it.  I came to the realization that Dillon had a diary and that surprised me more than his room being clean for the first time since we moved in. 

It’s funny how reading a diary of somebody you thought you knew was somebody else in the notebook.  I remembered how Dillon told me 8 years ago that he hated going to the beaches, but on page 27 he would sneak out to swim at the local beaches on Saturday morning while me and Jason were asleep.  I wish I could have stopped at page 27 though as I waited in the hospital for Dillon to recover.  The cops got all they could out of me as if they were vampires hunting for blood, and said I was free to go.  I went to the hospital, and asked about Dillon.  I was assigned to the waiting room to wait for news.  Only 10 hours had passed with no news.  I had no idea who would have done this because as far I knew all three of us had no enemies.  We kept to ourselves and lived a local life of living to our needs and wants.  Then, I thought the diary would give me the answers I needed and eventually it did.  That was when I was better off without the answer because it would not have changed my whole life around.  Page 57… 

Dillon: Life is full of darkness.  What does life give me but the suffering of human kind?  All these people wear masks, but myself and Zach.  Zach never wears a mask, but he couldn’t handle the truth.  He always sought after justice in the form of innocence with no bloodshed.  I’m tired of their lies, and their schemes.  I will rip out their masks one by one starting with the one surrounding me everyday… Jason told me a couple of months ago that he was not seeing anybody, only that I found out he was seeing the person I was seeing until she dumped me for the reason of losing feelings.  The two were mauling each other in the car after work one day not even realizing I was approaching her car for an anniversary gift.  I saw that she noticed me staring through the window, but her evil eyes showed me the devil in her.  I encountered Jason about it only for him to deny anything and even when I pushed him against the wall, he denied everything.  I would have ripped him apart then if Zach didn’t walk in from getting off work early feeling very ill.  The poor soul was terribly ill, and I had to be the caretaker.  I stood by his bedside praying to whatever out there that he would get better and if that one night he didn’t get better all of a sudden, I would have killed Jason right then and then.  While I took care of Zach, Jason was messing around at parties having the time of his life with alcohol, drugs, and sex.  It disgusted me, but I hung on for Zach until I couldn’t.  Jason was able to show his mask to Zach, but I saw through the mask. 

The day of the murder was when I had enough of Jason.  I was the first home that day when Jason arrived home drunk.  He was in the state of acting in a moral sense was out of the window and I knew I had to put some sense into him before Zach got home.  Only, I wasn't able to as Jason went up and slapped me right in the face calling me all sorts of lies.  He was drunk to the point he wanted a fight and I gave him one.  I still didn’t act out, but when I was walking to go outside, he spat right in front of my face screaming I was a worthless friend to Zach.  That was when I saw the ax right by the door and unleashed my rage at Jason.  The ax hit Jason right in the middle of the face, sending him to the ground.  I knew I had to think of something quick, so I grabbed the baseball bat from the living room closet and sat down on the chair to the TV. This I write to myself so I can remember that I wasn't the one with the mask, but the one who showed Jason was the whole time…



The reading stopped there, and for me it seemed that time stopped.  Time didn’t exist where I was.  I couldn't believe the person Jason really was, but Dillon truly never changed. About 6 hours later, I was allowed to see Dillon and a smile crept on my face when he gave me a thumbs up saying he would be alright.  Sure, he planned his own attack.  I gave him a sad smile as I lifted the diary to my chest where he could see it.  His face changed from a smile to a cold stare of realization that somebody knows everything.  I didn’t hear the cop coming in behind me as I was focused on staring into the eyes of my friend that had no mask, “What you got there son?” the cop asks.  It didn’t take long for him to realize from mine and Dillon’s face that the diary had all the answers written on it… “What do I have?  I have my friend right in front of me and we wear no masks, but do you wear a mask officer?” I saw the smile go back on the face of Dillon and I knew everything would be okay because in the end I already knew the truth of who Dillon was before the diary told me.  He was my protector.  

May 22, 2023 18:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Matthew Guerrero
21:18 May 28, 2023

I think you’re onto something, I like the stories general outline, the plot is somewhat lost inside, but when you find it, it does have some semblance of impact. I’d say to space yourself out in your paragraph formatting, and lean on your story delivery, because you got a knack for storytelling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. D. Lair
16:26 May 28, 2023

Mack made some good points in his comment. I think breaking up the text in smaller paragraphs could help with pacing. There are some strong sentences throughout, so I too look forward to seeing how your writing grows over time. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
R W Mack
19:08 May 27, 2023

The pace was a little all over the place. When I read my stuff out loud to myself I notice it more and see where I need to make adjustments. The first paragraph is a better idea for a hook than a lot of stories. Gotta give someone a reason to keep reading. I liked that. Also, I'm into short titles that make me curious. Plotwist was a good choice. It didn't give anything away off the jump, but made me wonder when or where I'll see it. The pacing and prose were a bit hard to get through, but the bones weren't bad. I look forward to judging...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.