The First Time in Forever

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write about two people going sledding for the first time in many years.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction

Freshly fallen snow sparkled from the first rays of the sun. Rebecca smiled from her spot in the window. It had been many years since she had woken up to a good snow fall. The last few years she and her husband had holidayed in warmer climates and when they had been home, the snow fall had been pitiable.

But this morning…this morning was different. The snow had started yesterday and now piled high in perfect white drifts.

She shivered as memories of childhood days spent running through the snow, having snowball fights, and building snowmen came to mind. The feeling of changing out of wet, heavy clothes and into dry ones as feeling came back into her extremities brought a smile to her face.

And then there would be hot chocolate and treats. She could see her mother overseeing everything in the nursery and then later in the drawing rooms. She could see her cousins giggling with each other as they pored over fashion plates. She could see her aunts and uncles and family friends all spread around the room, talking with one another, laughing, getting into debates. But most of all she could see a window seat that she and her best friend Winston had claimed as their own.

The window had been cold against their backs but it kept them cool in a room full of people. A plate of treats between them and whatever drink they had chosen in their hands, their heads bent towards one another whispering about their newest schemes. Tricks to play, stories to be told to the nursery crowd, or planning surprises for their families.

“What are you smiling about?” A pair of arms encircled her waist, and a chin rested on her shoulder. Winston’s beard tickled her cheek but she didn’t mind. She adored him with a beard.

“I was thinking of the holiday after Emily and Fred became engaged. Do you remember the celebration we planned?”

She felt him smile against her neck. “How could I forget? Snowballs made from socks because there was no snow.”

“And the wreath making contest.”

“I still say we were robbed. Ours was the best. Everyone knew it.” The indignation from over fifty years ago still rang strong in his voice. Rebecca laughed.  “I do not think you are taking this as serious as you should my love.”

“I am taking it as seriously as I did then.”

“Then you are failing once more.”

She laughed again. How could she not? In her personal opinion her cousins Fern, Lilac, and Rose’s wreath had been the superior of the two.

“Do you remember Christmas morning?” He asked.

Rebecca nodded, remembering the moment. Winston had snuck into her bedchamber that morning. When she’d protested the early waking, he had pulled the covers back and whispered the magic words. “It’s snowing.” She had bailed out of bed and rushed to the window. Pulling back the drapes, she had watched as it snowed large lazy flakes under the light of a full moon. Even all these years later, it was like a moment frozen in time that she could take out and reminiscence over.

“We should do something.” Winston said, and for a moment Rebecca felt like she was fifteen years old again, hearing Winston whisper those words as they stood at a window very much like the one they were at now.

“Agreed. Something spectacular.” She said, repeating the words of her younger self. “A snowball fight?”

“The grandchildren would love that.” Winston said.

“I would love that.” Rebecca said. “We could teach them a thing or two.”

Her husband chuckled. “And then?”

Rebecca looked out the window, stared across the sparkling snow and the sun that was slowly getting higher in the sky. “I think you know.”

Winston stepped back, taking her hand and pulling her with him. He twirled her under his arm. “Sledding?”

She brought her hand up to his shoulder. “It’s been ages.”

“Ages and ages.” He agreed, dancing them around the room.

“We could have hot chocolate afterwards.” Rebecca said and she knew what Winston would say.

“And tartlets.” Winston said. It would be exactly what her mother had served at the family’s annual holiday house party.

“I wouldn’t dream of serving anything else.”

Winston stopped them in front of the window. “You know, we really should check out the hill first. Make sure there is enough snow to sled on.” He eyed her slyly.

Rebecca fought a smile. “I agree. After all, we wouldn’t want to disappoint the children with our plan and then have it fail.”

“Exactly.” Winston nodded as if that could be his only reason. “I’ll ring for the servants.”

***

They trudged through the snow, hand in hand, laughing as they stumbled. Winston pulled a sled behind them. “I believe the servants think we’re insane.”

“My dear, I think they already thought that.” Rebecca laughed. “Though Molly thinks we’re incredibly romantic.”

“Well, I cannot disagree with Miss Molly.” He pulled her gloved hand to his lips and kissed the back of it lightly. “I do love you.”

The words matched the ones in her own heart. Their love had started off as friendship and then grown deeper without either of them quite realizing it. Though everyone else in their respective families had known before they did.

“What is it Bek?” Winston asked, using the nickname he had given her in their childhood.

“Just feeling like I’m the luckiest woman in the world.”

“And why’s that?”

She pulled him to a stop; turning so she faced him and laid her hand upon his cheek. “Because I get to be married you.”

He pulled her hand around to his mouth and kissed the palm of her hand. “Then I supposed I’m the luckiest man in the world because I get to be married to you.”

They stared at each other, and though now Winston’s hair was graying and wrinkles lined his face, his eyes were still the same. The same ones that had seen her, held her secrets, and whispered of his love to her. She stretched up onto her toes and kissed him.

His smile could have competed with the sun. She took his hand and they continued on their way.

The pond and the nearby hill, the sight of many adventures for their children, came into view. “Ready?” Winston asked. He bounced between his feet like a giddy school-boy on the last day of term.

Rebecca didn’t answer. She ran, though a little slower than she had in past years, wanting to beat her husband up the hill. Winston’s laugh echoed and she heard the snow crunch under his footsteps as he chased after her. As they neared the top, Winston caught up to her and grabbed her hand. He pulled her back as he ran passed her. “Winston!”

“Hah!” He laughed as he crested the hill. “Beat you Bek.”

She rolled her eyes. “You did not have to contend with skirts.” She gestured.

“You did not have to pull the sled.” He pointed to the wood sled; the stain faded with age.

“Fine. I concede.”

Winston stepped closer and offered her the rope handle. “Do you want the first run?”

She looked down the hill at the undisturbed snow. “Actually,” she looked back at him. “I was thinking we would do it as we do everything else.”

“Together?”

“Together.”

“Well then, my lady, your chariot awaits.” Winston positioned the sled and helped her settle on it. He climbed on behind her. “Ready?” He whispered in her ear.

Ready to have cold air biting at her face? Ready for the eventual stop at the bottom and tipping into the snow? She couldn’t wait. “Ready when you are.”

Winston pushed off and down they went.

Screams turned into laughter as they went down.

And for a moment, it was as if Rebecca relived a thousand memories of similar experiences. Racing up the hill with her Father. Sharing a sled with her sister or her cousins. Watching as Winston rode down the hill with one of their children.

They slowed to a stop as the ground leveled out. Winston tipped them over into the snow. She giggled and promised herself she would not allow years to pass again without riding a sled.

January 20, 2021 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.