28 comments

Drama Sad Horror

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger warning - death


York, England, 1928


The drumroll started at exactly 9.50pm, the background lights dimmed, and a spotlight pinpointed Alice’s sparkling red tunic. She balanced on a shining platform at one end of a tightrope, fifteen feet above stage left. The audience fell into silence for the final act. Theo McAlister stepped forward out of the wings stage right. The trademark sequins on the lapels of his black tailcoat caught the low lights in a shimmer. A second spotlight focused on him. He removed his top hat and took a deep bow.


Theo stepped forward and lifted a bow and a quiver of arrows from a wooden stand in front of him. He swept his arm across to his left, indicating for the audience to observe the floor, where a double row of three-foot silver spikes were positioned, pointing to the ceiling, under the tightrope.


“And now, distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, for our final trick of the evening. The lovely and talented Alice Darling will walk the tightrope. You will see the three red balloons hanging at various points along the rope –“ a spotlight flicked on to each one, “each balloon positioned just above the height of Alice’s head. Using perfect timing and deadly accuracy, I will shoot each one out of the air at the exact instant Alice passes under it. And I will do all of this. . . “


Theo pulled a black hood over his head, covering his eyes completely.


“. . . blindfolded.” Theo selected an arrow and drew his bow. “Should Alice put a foot wrong, she will fall to certain death, pierced by the solid spikes below.”


The audience gasped.


Two stagehands pulled a shadow screen up from the floor, in front of the spikes, to about six feet above the stage. Only the sharply pointed silhouettes of the back-lit metal behind could be seen by the onlookers.


As the dramatic music started, Alice moved confidently off the platform. She swayed in time with the music and took a step forward, then spun around, stepped again, and lunged along the rope, her head now precisely below the first balloon. As she pulled her back leg forward and stood up to full height, Theo released his first arrow. It hit the balloon, which exploded in a shower of glittering confetti, and the arrow struck a solid target behind it, sticking firmly in place.


The audience cheered and applauded, and Theo shifted his position. The music continued to play, and Alice resumed her dance across the air. She bent over at the waist, touching her ankles for a split second, then cartwheeled along the rope, coming to rest with her head exactly below the central balloon above the middle of the stage. Theo fired his next arrow, bursting balloon number two with a puff of smoke released from inside it. The second arrow also embedded into a solid target up in the arches.


Another eruption of applause from the audience, but this one lasted a little longer and momentarily drowned out the music. Had Theo lost his cue? He turned a little to face the final balloon.


Alice ducked down on the rope, arms out to her sides, with theatrical finesse. She bent her head down towards her feet and rolled forward, arms still out, completing a full forward roll along the narrow rope, then standing upright again below the third balloon.


Theo released his final arrow. It pierced the third balloon, releasing a waterfall of paper streamers which cascaded onto the stage.


But with them fell Alice.


The audience took a sharp intake of breath. There was a heavy thud and a scream from behind the shadow screen and the shape of a woman’s body, impaled on a series of spikes could clearly be seen outlined on the stage.


Theo pulled off his blindfold, threw it to the floor and ran behind the screen. The music stopped, and the theatre fell silent, then Theo’s silhouette gracefully assisted Alice’s to its feet. They both reappeared from behind the fabric, beaming with smiles, covered in streamers and glitter and ready to take a bow.


***


Back in his dressing room, Theo ran his fingers through his sweaty hair. He’d need a bath when he got home.


There was a knock at the door.


“Come in, Joseph.”


“Hey Theodore, another great performance, congratulations! Standing ovation! I’ve had another offer for you to go to London. I know you don’t want to, but I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t make the suggestion. We could all be raking it in if you went to the big city. You could give up the day job. There might be a national tour in it for you.”


“I know, I know, you’re just being a good agent. I understand. But I don’t want to be away from home. My family life is important. It’s local or nothing for this show.”


“Ok. I’ll go and check on Alice. I know you say that fall is safe, but every time I see it, I shudder. I have no idea how she pulls it off.”


“She’s already gone. You know how she is. She gets to the stage door before the audience have even filed into the foyer. I’ll let her know you’re concerned, but I don’t think you have anything to worry about. She’s a consummate professional.”


“Is she avoiding me?” asked Joe.


“What do you mean?”


“I haven’t seen her to talk to in two weeks. I wished her luck before your last dress rehearsal and haven’t spoken to her since.”


“She’s probably just busy.”


“We should get together soon, go out for dinner or something, the three of us.”


“That would be delightful, but I’m not sure when we'll find the time.”


Joseph left the dressing room. Theo grabbed his bag and headed home.


* * *


There was no show on Mondays. The theatre was closed to the public, but Theo had access, with his stagehands, to check the equipment and run through lighting and sound effects. Because of his day job at the department store, Theo wasn’t able to carry out these checks in the daytime, but his crew didn’t mind, some of them happy to be away from their nagging wives, some just happy to be getting extra pay. At precisely 9.40pm he sent them all to gather their things from backstage. Theo always locked up.


“Time to go home, lads. You don’t want to hang around here any later than you have to.”


Tom and Reggie retracted the shadow screen back into the stage on its roller, out of sight, and said “Good night.” It was 9.47pm. Apart from some dim stage lighting, the theatre was in darkness.


Theo sat alone in the front row of the stalls, running his knuckles rhythmically across his cleft chin. He checked his pocket watch. Exactly three minutes to go. He wished the lads didn’t have to put the shadow screen down. Without it he would see everything. But perhaps that was what he deserved.


A creak behind him made Theo turn his head. The stalls door was open, and a figure had appeared in the light let through from the foyer.


“Theodore? You still here?”


It was Joseph! What was he doing here? He would ruin everything.


“About to leave,” said Theo, standing and walking towards him. Perhaps he could get his curious agent out before it was too late.


“Sit, sit, I want a quick word,” said Joseph, heading down the centre aisle towards the front. “I insist.”


Perhaps Theo could distract him from the stage? But the noise would be a dead give-away, even if he was looking in another direction.


The two men met, level with row K and Joseph took a seat, beckoning Theo in next to him.


Sweat prickled Theo’s neck, then his hands, then his forehead. He checked his pocket watch again. Less than a minute.


“You seem tense, old man,” said the agent, pulling a hip flask from his breast pocket. “Brandy – always helps me in times of stress.”


Theo took a swig and sat down next to him in the semi darkness. He glanced around for something of interest that he could point out to Joseph but was rudely reminded that theatres are designed to draw all attention to the stage, especially if you are sitting in the stalls. With the lighting so dim over the seating, not even the fancy carpentry of the balcony or boxes could be seen. Theo silently cursed himself for not having the curtains closed before the crew left for the night.


“I wanted to-“ Joseph started. “Who’s that?”


All was lost. Alice had appeared, high up on the tightrope platform, and even with no spotlight on her, she was visible as her tunic glistened in what illumination there was.


“Oh God,” said Theo. “It’s Alice. Well, it was, once.”


Alice started her dance across the tightrope, perfectly timed even without the music as a cue.


“I don’t understand. She can’t practice with no one here. It’s not safe, what if she fell? We wouldn’t be insured.”


“She will fall,” said Theo, “and I can’t stop you from seeing it.” He put his head in his hands.


Alice passed the halfway point over the stage. She ducked down on the rope, arms out to her sides, with theatrical finesse. She bent her head down towards her feet and rolled forward, arms still out, completing a full forward roll along the narrow rope, then standing upright again below the position of the third balloon.


“Whatever do you mean?” Joseph stood up. “Alice! Alice! Come down from there!”


“It’s no good Joe, it’s already happened. And now it happens every night.”


Alice started in shock, as if a balloon had burst above her head, then she fell from the rope and plummeted to the stage, screaming as she hit the double row of spikes. They impaled her in several places.


“Call for help!” Joseph pushed past Theo and ran towards the stage pulling off his jacket.


Alice’s lifeless body, fully visible with no shadow screen in place, bled onto the stage for a few horrifying moments, then vanished into thin air. A second later, a fully recovered Alice appeared, standing stage right as if nothing had happened, and stepped forward to take a bow.


Theo joined Joseph in front of the stage, took his jacket from his hand and passed him the hip flask back. “It happened the night of our last dress rehearsal. You always hated this trick, knew it was too dangerous, that she should have worn a wire. But I was too proud for that. And Alice only ever aimed to please.” Theo wiped his eyes. “It was stupid. We ran through it one more time after the team had gone. She wanted it perfect.”


“She’s. . . dead.” Joseph took a swig of brandy.


“Yes, and her spirit replays the whole trick every night at 9.50 exactly. I don’t understand how she gets up to take a bow, but she does.”


“A consummate professional,” said Joseph. “Even in death.”


“You see now why we can’t go to London?”


Joe nodded in disbelief.


“And,” said Theo, “I’m not sure what happens to Alice’s ghost after closing night.”

July 17, 2023 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

David Ader
15:55 Jul 31, 2023

A great story that gets the read wondering what happens after closing night! I have one comment. You write "...for our final trick of the evening" at the beginning. Magicians, especially old-time stage magicians of that era, 1920s, would not have referred to something as a trick or illusion but rather as something mysterious or in this case dangerous. For example, "We will close our performance with a death-defying act of daring. " Or perhaps, "a display of legerdemain. I'm not sure these terms add much, but magicians really don't call the...

Reply

16:42 Jul 31, 2023

Thank you David, I agree, it doesn't quite sit right. Good suggestions for alternatives, thanks! Sadly I am past the edit deadline 😕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zeeshan Mahmud
01:09 Jul 28, 2023

Lovely story! I fell transported back in time. Must say quite a surprising twist. Very poetic touch!

Reply

06:45 Jul 28, 2023

Thank you ! I'm so glad you liked it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:40 Jul 27, 2023

Clap'n

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark Wilhelm
11:42 Jul 24, 2023

Katharine that was an awesome story. Would it be possible for me to read it on Frighteningtales.com? I think it's a great fit this season.

Reply

17:43 Jul 26, 2023

Hi Mark, Thank you for the compliment and for getting in touch. I just have to ask - the last story of mine that you podcasted, you missed reading a section near the middle - I don't know why, but it did detract a bit from the story. Please may I check that if I agree to this one being used that you will read the full thing in its entirety? Also - Reedsy has a clause in its terms and conditions that the prompt is included in any onward use of the stories and that Reedsy is given credit for that prompt. Details can be found in the contest ter...

Reply

Tommy Goround
21:36 Jul 27, 2023

Congratulations on royal podcast invite.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark Wilhelm
13:32 Jul 30, 2023

Katherine, I adore your writing and only ever want to read your stories as you've written them, complete and as created. To my knowledge that is the only time I've ever done that, regretfully that is an embarrassing mistake. I just listened intently following along, and I'll make it right for future listeners, then I can fix the AGA pronunciation. I am a one-man show - and unfortunately suffer from being human. All I can do is own this mistake and learn from it. I apologize and offer my promise to do better in the future. As for the Reedsy...

Reply

13:59 Jul 30, 2023

Thank you so much Mark, no need to apologise, I have made short voice recordings myself in the past and I know it's not as easy as people might imagine. Recording a whole story must be pretty challenging. Thank you so much for offering to correct the current recording, that would be great. Please do go ahead and add The Limelight to your podcast. I'm very flattered that you wanted to. Thanks!

Reply

Mark Wilhelm
15:00 Jul 30, 2023

All the edits and legal notes are now accounted for. It may take some time for the changes to trickle out through the internet. And thank you so much for allowing me to play in the worlds you create again. I'm looking forward to it. If there are ever any issues with the story I create please don't hesitate to reach out to creepy@frighteningtales.com and I'll fix that immediately.

Reply

Mark Wilhelm
19:36 Feb 14, 2024

Katharine, I invite you to submit new horror to creepy@frighteningtales.com for season 4. It just wouldn't be a season without some of your spookiness!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
18:58 Jul 21, 2023

So good Katharine! You built the suspense of the actual routine so well in the beginning it was very sensory and nail biting. The best thing about the reveal is the open question, lovely. What will happen on closing night, now the story's continuing in my head. Bravo 👏

Reply

20:56 Jul 21, 2023

Thank you Kevin 🙂 I'm so glad you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:37 Jul 19, 2023

I'll admit, it was quite tense when it was time for the third arrow - and then when she fell, I thought the show had gone horribly wrong. Turns out that her falling *was* part of the show though, so that was clever. Except of course, we later learn it wasn't :) Great double reversal here, and a neat ghost story. Also, more than a little morbid to exploit it for profit, but capitalism finds a way I suppose :) Theo raises an excellent question at the end. This act seems like it's on borrowed time, and that the secret will get out eventuall...

Reply

20:42 Jul 19, 2023

Thank you for your thoughts Michal. I'm not sure if I should add more to the ending, maybe the agent threatens to tell or something and the magician finds a way to permanently silence him (possibly creating a second ghost) but part of me really likes it how it is and doesn't want to complicate matters. Any thoughts?

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Jul 19, 2023

Those ideas are good, but this ending is fine too. It leaves things unresolved - which is what a ghost is, right? Unresolved business - and that's a little unsettling, which fits the horror theme. Adding things also runs the risk of hitting the word count. Though now that I think about it, this guy has already demonstrated he's fine with playing fast and loose with other people's lives. If he gave the agent a sudden push onto a spike right at the end, I wouldn't be surprised :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Ader
19:57 Jul 19, 2023

As a fan of magic, and a very amateur magician, I can fully appreciate Theo's desire to hold on to the impossible trick. (I can't explain, but the name Theo works very well.) Great story and you had me all along; I expected the reveal to about the illusion, not a ghost story. And the ending, his acceptance of the limitations (can't go to London) and wonder what we all wonder...where do our spirits go.

Reply

20:08 Jul 19, 2023

Thank you David, I'm glad those elements worked for you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
09:45 Jul 19, 2023

I love a good ghost story! Great setup and payoff. Even though I was expecting a tragedy, I found myself shocked when Cheryl fell. If you have the word count, I'd love to get inside Theo's head a bit more, how much he loves and misses Cheryl, and succumbs to organizing his act around her ghostly performance out of a macabre need to see her by any means. Perhaps he is torturing himself by forcing himself to watch every night, and bearing witness to her death repeatedly is his penance for allowing her to perform without a harness. For my n...

Reply

10:11 Jul 19, 2023

Thank so much for this Jon! Massive help as always! I do have word count to play with. What if the agent threatens to tell about the dead girl and the magician creates another ghost? Just wondering if the ending needs more punch?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
21:39 Jul 27, 2023

Excellent response. The current edition has a nice balance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Zatoichi Mifune
11:07 Jul 18, 2023

Wow. Yes, it works. Definitely. Your stories just keep getting better, Loved this one. It was spectacular. I wasn't expecting the end at all. Maybe the trigger warning should be 'Other', 'Mentions of death'? Because it doesn't give anything away as part of the trick is her 'dying'. (Oh and if you wouldn't mind, please take the time to re-read my bio. I'd also like to see your reaction to it)

Reply

18:37 Jul 18, 2023

Thanks very much for the comments Zatoichi. I had a look at your bio. You know, you could have just updated the name on your existing account?

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
08:40 Jul 19, 2023

I had no idea. Oh well, it's done now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:47 Jul 17, 2023

Ghostly! 👻

Reply

18:37 Jul 18, 2023

ha! indeed

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cedar Barkwood
23:35 Apr 18, 2024

Fascinating story, the only things that could have been bettered were already mentioned, but it had such a unique touch. It was imaginary, horrifying, and had your writing style written all over it. Scary, enthralling, like always, wonderfully written.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.