Raindrops and bookshelves

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story about someone who finds a secret passageway in their house.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Drip.. Drop.. Drip.. Drop...

Watching the raindrops slowly race down the window, I sigh.

One, two, the last one wins again. Three, four, the first one wins this time. Five, six, neither win.

I let out a loud groan letting my head hit the wall behind me loudly. I move my head slightly to the side making the headphones around my neck scratch against the wall and look at the books scattered all over the floor. I've read all the books in the library, I've unpacked everything from my boxes and move a few things around my room to how I want them, I baked a full batch of chocolate chip cookies and a strawberry cake. Why did we have to move? Oh, right. Dad got a divorce from Mom and got a new job.

Thunder sounded as I glance around the large room that has become mine, I took in the slight cracks in the ceiling and the small scratches on the walls. My eyes land on the floor that's slightly raised under my white rug. "How did I not notice that before?" I say to no-one in particular and stand up with a soft huff.

I walk towards the rug and kneeled down to remove the rug from the floor, only to find out that it's not a floorboard. It's a door latch. I pull back the rug more to see the rest of the hidden door. "I really want to know how in the living hell did I miss a whole door while moving the whole room to the way I wanted it" I say out loud, very confused as to how I missed it completely.

I tug on the door latch but to no avail. "Curse you weak arms" I say pulling the latch harder, making me fall back with a yelp when it finally opens.

My mouth hangs open as the trapped door reveals a flight of spiral stairs. I stare in pure awe as lights surround the stairs as I walked down each step when I finally reach the last step my breath gets caught in my throat. 'Holy Jesus, I'm gonna cry'

It was a room, a big room filled from ceiling to floor with shelves full of books, a little grey couch with a light blue blanket by the foot of it and a small wooden table, along with a bunch of throw pillows. "This is Heaven" I say, still not over the fact that there's a whole library under my room. Deciding to explore the room more, I walk around the room, occasionally sneezing and coughing as dust rose when I blew on the books I picked up.

I took out another book from a shelf, blowing on the cover I cough and rub my eyes. "I never learn" I say, closing a tearful eye and looking at the book in my hand. 'To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee' I've heard about this book from Dad before we moved, he said it was a good book to read on a rainy day.

"I need to clean this place before I die of dust poisoning or something of the like" I say before walking upstairs and coming back with an old T-shirt and wet wipes. I pull my pink sleeves up and put a black mask over my nose and mouth. I start cleaning from the stairs to the last bookshelf, I'm exhausted when I finish cleaning the last shelf. I stretch out my back, earning a satisfying pop, before walking over to the shelf where I put the 'To kill a mockingbird' book.

I walk over to the small couch with the book in hand and pat the dust off before I sit down and use a throw pillow as a backrest. A few minutes won't hurt, right?

After what seemed like a few minutes of reading, I yawn and hear a knock on my room door making my eyes widen as I fumble around trying to check the time on my phone '20:30'. I did not realize I was reading for that long.

"crap!" I yell, sprinting up the spiral stairs as the knocking gets more frantic, almost making me land face-first on the top step. I grunt as I lower the trapped door back to the floor and close the latch before throwing the rug over it and running over to the scattered books on the floor, then sliding to the wall and making my back slam against it earning a pained grunt from me. I slide my headphones over my ears in time for my father to open the door and look around the room before his eyes land on me. "Eli, did you not hear me knock?" He says, shoulders sagging in what I think is relief. "Mm? Sorry Dad," I say sheepishly, taking my headphones off and looking at his washed-out blue eyes that reflect my own green ones. "Did you need anything?"

"Oh yeah, dinners ready, I made spaghetti with meatballs, and I see you've made desert" Dad said smiling softly, a smile he use to do very often, until he found out Mom was cheating on him with another man. "Yeah, I hope it tastes good, I'll be down in a few minutes" I say smiling back, hiding a wince as my back throbs. As soon as the door closes with a click I collapse onto the floor with a loud groan.

"Jesus, that was exhausting and painful, I'm never doing that again"

March 22, 2020 03:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.