2 comments

Sad Holiday American

Do you know that feeling, when you’re parents out of the blue announces that they’re getting a divorce! Well, I have been in one of these situations and trust me it’s worse than you imagine. My parents never fought or shouted at each other so I couldn’t figure the reason. I was devastated and sad, upset and angry but nothing could make us one happy family again. My sister chose to stay with dad because dad loved and understood her more in her view. I decided to stay with mum, honestly, I love her more IDK why but I just do. Mom and I shifted to an apartment far away from dad’s house. I missed dad and Jenny very much, mum was sad most of the time because Jenny chose dad over her. I thought of asking mom why they got a divorce but just as I look at her face, I stop myself. After six months or so when mum and I were finally starting to feel comfortable we got a card, my father’s marriage card. What???!!!! Woah!!! When my mum opened and read it she busted into tears and started sobbing loudly, I hugged her and tried to console her but she just kept repeating - “it’s all my fault, why am I not beautiful, it’s my fault, how can he do this to me and my children.”, she kept crying for a long time and then I put her in bed and gave her some milk, she slept immediately. I went to my room and I couldn’t sleep all night, I was crying softly and cursing my life. In the morning I went to my mother’s room to check if she was okay and brought the breakfast along. She awoke and immediately straightened up, she asked me to sit by her for some time. She ate her breakfast and gave me the strawberries. Then she said, “why did you never asked me that why your father and I got a divorce. Are you not interested??”, “of course I am mum but it’s just you were always so sad and I didn’t want to upset you even more.”, “Oh, my baby!! You can ask me anything even if I’m sad.”, “so why did you got a divorce, when you never fought.”, “Ohh! Sweety, it’s not always about fights, there are misunderstandings and cheating..”, “wait!! Dad cheated on you.”, “the marriage card made it a little oblivious didn’t it.”, “MUM it’s not your fault, you’re beautiful, kind, loyal and the best mother to anyone. I was so wrong about dad, he’s mean and selfish.”, “oh no sweety, don’t hate your dad.” but I just went to my room slamming the door hard. I was completely taken out of my mind, how can my dad, the best man I knew could ever do this. I didn’t come out of my room for the day, mum knocked like a thousand times and pleaded but I just replied that I am not gonna do anything crazy!! I was like a walking dead for a few days, didn’t went to school, didn’t answer dad’s and jenny’s call, didn’t ate when one day my mom came into my room and tried to explain the whole situation that how love happens and you cannot stop it and we should think that this what God wants and I should stop acting this way. ‘Love’ bullshit, he had a family, how can he do something like this?? It was his wedding day and I locked myself in my room and asked my mom to leave me alone and she did because she was also not thrilled to go either. We spend the day normally and I was still not in contact with my father and sister. They tried to contact/approach me many times but I just always founded a way to ignore them. Days passed and it was thanksgiving. It has been 7 months now I talked to them. My mother came to my room and said or should I say pleaded that I should go and meet my father. After a lot of thinking I decided that as it was their (my father’s new family’s) first holiday it’s a good time to see them. My mother had some work so she didn’t accompany me. I reached there, on the same porch I grew up. Before I could ring the bell, a lady (probably dad’s new wife) opened the door. She said, “OH! Darling see who it is! It is Liam.”, “what!!?? Liam!! he came. God hold him there.” my dad’s surprising voice could be heard. He sneezed me into a hug but there was no response from my side so the hug didn’t last long. I came inside and saw Jenny, she smiled at me but I simply ignored. We prayed, ate the lunch (it was tasty), karaoke but then my dad and the lady whose name is Jasmine started snogging so I came out near the swimming pool. I was alone when my sister arrived. She sat near me but I just simply ignored her. She began, “I know you’re mad at me and angry, but please let me explain.”, “I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING!!” I shouted at her. “I deserve this, I know I made a lot of mistakes. Liam listen I am so sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, I knew it after one month you left, I’m sorry I decided to stay with dad and broke mum’s heart, I was scared that you will not accept me there.” and she started crying and really hard. My sister was like a watermelon, hard and tough from the outside but sweet and soft from the inside. I consoled her and we talked about all the past events and then she said that she is moving in with mom and me. I was really thrilled about this. I was still mad at my dad but sometimes it’s just best to let things go. My sister moved in with mom and me, dad and Jasmine got pregnant and Mommy got a really nice and well-paid job. Also, now we visited our dad thrice a year.

 Everything turned out well in the end. 

THANKYOU

November 27, 2020 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Louise Legrand
08:24 Dec 03, 2020

Hi there! I’ve been sent a link to your story to read by Reedsy . I liked the way you handled this prompt. And how the story unfolded. I really liked the mother’s character I could see her quite clearly in the mother-son dialogue and interaction. Reminded me of myself knocking on my son’s bedroom door a thousand times! Lots of emotion and well described characters that developed as the story unfolded too. Just some technical points such as formatting speech marks and spelling, but those are an easy fix. I’ll look forward to readi...

Reply

MALIK 1
17:28 Dec 04, 2020

I really appreciate you for such a humble and nice comment. I am very delighted that you liked my story and surely I will work on my flaws and continue to give you more such stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.