Different Worlds Collide

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Write about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Friendship Fiction

With the swift breeze howling in the night, with the movements of the trees swishing side to side and the owls hooting. Utter silence and the streetlights were modern and new lights shining amongst the streets. With people in their homes with the lights on and eating dinner with their family. Two friends practically like glue but were polar opposites. Eriona was the girl who would cower into her books as in other ways to be reserved into a world where no one can ask her to do stuff just the way she liked it. But her best friend Payton was the opposite of being socially involved in events, hosting parties with his friends and mingling with others, not showing a single sign of discomfort and only confidence. It was like he was born to be social and she was born to be the shy, silent and more reserved one. “Hey Eriona, ever thought about being an ambivert or extrovert.” Peering from her book as Payton puts the phone away from his ears and covering it before talking to her. With her smile shining as bright as the sun if it could smile, never looking away from writing in her book as her voice was beautiful like a melody. “Payton we are best friends but you know that I prefer to be an introvert than anything else since I love being reserved in my books where I can just be me and no one will judge me.” Payton puts the phone back into his ear and he is talking to one of his popular friends and he is genuinely smiling in happiness as he got invited to the biggest party in his neighbourhood which is 2 hours away from Eriona’s neighbourhood. “You sure you gonna be fine with that book of yours.” Throwing a heavy book at Payton which he manages to stop from hitting his head and he laughs and so does Eriona. “You sure are gonna be the death of me Eriona and you don’t mind if I go to this party right?.” Shrugging her shoulders as she is used to her best friend in the big wide world attend social gatherings while she just sticks to her books, art and creative aspects. “You do know I have never minded ever since we were friends from 7 years old.” Payton runs and hugs Eriona who struggles to breathe since he is hugging her to the point where she can’t breathe. “Eriona you are my best friend in the whole wide world and can you please help me with my homework after I come back.” Laughing and giving the ‘I knew you would say that’ look and just asking Payton to hand over his homework so she can at least look at what she is up against and how she can teach Payton. Handing 3 heavy textbooks of English, Drama, Science and 3 slim textbooks of Maths, Economics, Music. “Wow Payton these books weigh a ton, what have you been taught in class that results you to carry these 6 textbooks.” Payton says with a funny voice mimicking each of his teachers “This will make you pass my class.” Unable to hold the laughter in the inside, Eriona laughs loudly and for a long time until her ribcage starts hurting and her jawline becomes sore. Payton says a goodbye before heading of onto his motorbike and making way to the party in his neighbourhood and after phoning someone to pick Eriona up. “Have fun at your party and don’t forget to get me a functional Payton who has his thinking cap for homework. Since I got my homework to finish as well.” He smiles and just says “Yea I will and don’t worry I will learn quick as you know I’m a quick learner.” Eriona enters the car who is of Payton’s older sister Rosie and places Payton’s book on the seat before sliding inside with her books. “You and my brother seem to be lovely friends and you 2 should always be best friends with each other.” Smiling at Rosie before entering Payton, Rosie and Alexander’s house. Alexander is Payton’s twin but he is mostly in bed rest with his leg still not recovered from a car crash accident that happened a few days ago. “Hey Alexander how are you?.” Alexander looking up at Eriona with a smile on his face and says “If you count me being lucky for me not to lose a leg yeah sure I’m fine.” 

3 hours later

Payton enters the house and he makes way upstairs into his room which Eriona has all his textbooks scattered on his bed. Closing the door and sitting on the ground as Eriona gives him some notes on how to answer the questions in his textbook. He was happy that he had an introvert best friend and would never replace his friend for anyone else even if it meant he wasn’t allowed into parties. Trying to figure out how to get a scholarship in all his subjects was proving a challenge. “Argh why is this so hard to remember the characters in these plays.” With his thick drama book, he had to know which character was which and what their role was and what they were meant to represent. He was confident with 7 of the characters but not the other 5 characters that seemed to be muddling in his head. He was an extrovert that had a hard time turning from the attention so he chose to do Drama but never expected it to be this hard. Unaware that his best friend is writing notes for him to pass Drama class with a high scholarship. “You still gotta get through those books Payton and as much as I enjoy my books, I feel sad for you to be studying those topics since all mine are easier to do for me.” He also chose Science since more people were giving him attention but he never really enjoyed it as much as Music which was what draws people to him and the way he wants.

July 26, 2021 08:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.