Dear Diary (or Journal...? Whatever)

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write a story that features a protagonist with an archnemesis.... view prompt

0 comments

General

                Journal Humphrey

My Rise to Greatness

January 1st 

Dear diary,

Is this how these things start? I don't really know what I'm doing, it's just that I'm going to start using my powers and I figured that if anything deserved to be written down, that did. So here's hoping I can keep both resolutions! Oh, that makes me seem so juvenile! Good grief, off to a great start, aren't I. Oh, I didn't mean to write all this down! I'm just going to leave before this gets worse… I wonder if people will notice me? It is my turn to shine! ...Ok, I’m leaving now

January 13th

Dear diary,

I scare little children. I did not expect… it's just, well, I don't want to scare children! Does this happen to everyone? Hopefully this won't happen every time I go out... Is this what it means to shine?

February 14th

Dear diary,

It appears that all people with powers must have an archnemesis to be anybody, so I hope that I get one soon. Society Functions are becoming unbearable because everybody is always talking about their archnemesis and I don't have one yet! They look down on me and I hate it. One day I will show them that I don't deserve to be looked down on. One day they will know that I deserve at least a little respect! I know I may never be great, but I will not be talked down on.

February 22nd

Dear diary,

I have fought the same person twice now, maybe this will be the one! I don't know who it is… they're a bit short, so maybe I'm fighting a dwarf… but they're quite thin so it might be an elf or a fairy… and they're voice makes it difficult to tell if they're male or female… hmm, we'll just have to see!

March 6th

Dear diary,

I have an archnemesis! Do you know what this means for my reputation?! They can't look down on me now! My next step is to discover his identity (I'm pretty sure it's a man, at this point). I don't have much to go on, but I will be successful! He is a little short……. …. .. I hope that doesn’t affect how people see me...

March 7th

Dear diary,

I was severely thrashed today, my ego hurts. My nemesis is fast. So fast, he can move at the speed of, you know, I don't even know what can move that fast, but he can! He must know that my powers only work if I can get a good look into his eyes… it only has to be a second or two, which is usually pretty easy, but he moves too fast for me to do that. Most of the time I can't even see his eyes! He's just a blur. I wonder if he chose me to be his nemesis because of this? Hmm. Maybe that's what I should look into. Why did he choose to fight me? Do I frequent his neighborhood when I'm working? Did I accidentally emotionally scar his little sister when I scared those children all that time ago? I really didn't mean to! I thought they were somebody sneaking up on me and so I surprised them and looked into their hearts through their eyes… it only took a second for each one… it's odd to know a person's history so quickly, don't you think? Oh… you don't think, you're just my journal…

March 28th

Dear diary, or journal, whatever,

Sometimes I wish you were someone real that I could talk to, I need advice! You know what, I need you to be real. So now your name is Humphrey. So, Humphrey, my nemesis, he's 11! As 8, 9, 10, 11 years of age. I got half a glimpse of his eyes this time. He's 11, something happened to his parents, and he lives all alone in a 3rd floor apartment somewhere. At least I think he's all alone, there might be a dog or younger sibling… that wasn't very clear… I mean, I only got half a glimpse. What should I do! I can't keep fighting an 11-year-old human child! Grief.

April 1st

Oh, Humphrey,

This is getting too hard. I feel like I have to set up safety nets for my archnemesis every time we meet. He almost died falling off a building today because he still doesn’t know his own abilities (ever heard of practice). Do you know how hard it is to manipulate time while sprinting down ten flights of stairs? I couldn’t even see him! Sakes, I didn’t even know if it would work, he’s never seemed to be affected by that part of my powers before! Thankfully, I slowed time around his fall (to be honest, I think I slowed time for the entire block, but whatever) and I got there just in time to pluck him out of the air. It actually looked really cool, seeing him fall in slow motion and me moving just as normal as ever. Pretty cool. ...He’s got to know that I saved him, what kind of villain saves the hero?! It’s just shameful. But what kind of hero is ELEVEN!! Where are his parents?!

April 2nd

Dear Humphrey,

I found his parents. They’re in prison and this kid thinks that he’s a villain. What even? My archnemesis can’t be a villain! That’s so weak and cliche. No, no. Somebody’s got to be the hero here and it can’t be me! Do you know what mother would say if she found out? Do you know what else, this kid has been robbing banks unseen for months! He wants to get his parents out of jail, apparently he failed when he tried to spring them. The first time I ran into him, he thought that I was the hero coming to stop him since he had just hid his first robbery stash. I thought I was finally getting somewhere when I finally slowed time for him without him being in mortal danger. I took a good look in his eyes and deep into his past. Kid’s got a blacker heart than I do! I looked in the mirror. I CANNOT BE THE HERO!!!!!

April 11

Journal,

I sprung his parents today. Slick, easy. The kid was with me. There was only one guard, so I took a good look in her eyes and dredged up all of her terrifying past memories, left her blubbering on a bench (the kid said that it was something I did with my face…?). The kid sped in and freed his parents in no time flat. Apparently he’s got super strength to go with his speed, didn’t even bother with a key. Don’t know what’ll happen with his parents, the kid’s so bad, he probably did the crime and his parents got blamed. Who knows, didn’t get a chance to look in their eyes. You know, though, that kid and I, we could be legendary.

(Oh, sorry Humphrey, I didn't mean forget your name, it’s just that I’ve been on a job and I'm feelin’ professional)

June 28, 2020 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.