The Epistle of Paul to the Present Church

Submitted into Contest #212 in response to: Write a story in the form of a letter, or multiple letters back and forth.... view prompt

2 comments

Christian

The Epistle of Paul to the Present Church

Chapter 1

1.     Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle by the will of God and separated according to the effective working of His power amongst the Gentiles 

2.     scattered throughout the world, to bear witness of the grace and love of the Father revealed in Jesus Christ, His Son,

3.     To the present Church, beloved by God and called into fellowship with Him and each other for the eternal purpose of the Kingdom of God, 

4.     made known by the Spirit of knowledge and revelation to His people, who stand according to His grace. 

5.     Greetings, in the Name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

6.     I thank God for each remembrance of you, fondly considering your place in the heart of the Father, 

7.     knowing that you are precious in His sight, in attitude, word, and deed, always striving for the furtherance of His kingdom on the Earth.

8.     Though it was my intention to teach and preach among you to the continued benefit of both you and me, it seems the Lord had plans for me, not of any private revelation. 

9.     For what I have faced in this life, I did so for the sake of the Gospel and not for any personal gain, whether of gold and silver or of reputation. 

10.  I have learned to be satisfied with what comes from the Hand of God in either of these. 

11.  Thus, I faced my certain demise with bold faith and trust in the Lord to do what He deems to be profitable for His Church.

12.  For this reason, my preaching must find listening ears only by the reading of my words. My voice, made bold by the confidence I have in the leading of the Spirit, though willing, has been made silent by the elevation of my service into the Temple, not made by hands.

13.  Therefore, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from Whom all saints are so named. I

14.  n the Presence of God, I speak of you, both day and night, that He may provide for you the accoutrements of your warfare for the souls of those outside, 

15.  that you may fight the good fight in the midst of the difficulties brought on you by the unbelief of those in the same present authority, 

16.  who do not care to know the way of righteousness and peace, preferring their choices that lead to strife and heartache, as it has been from the beginning.

Chapter 2

1.     And you also have been found wanting in this; that you let your heart be given over to double-mindedness concerning the things of this world. 

2.     Have you not seen the sorrow that comes from pursuing these things that are openly destructive to your faith and purpose? 

3.     Has it not been enough to turn your eyes away from the attractive things of Man that tarnish in the light of day?

4.     This observation I share with a heart made heavy by the surety of the end, known from the beginning by our Lord and revealed to us through the revelations to the prophets and apostles 

5.     and made known to you through their writings; that the things you gather into your storehouse are the wild gourds of the flesh that brings death to the pot and not the delights of the Spirit which are well known by those who walk in the Spirit.

6.     Know this, that the Flour which will give life to the pot is Jesus Christ, which restoration Elisha, the son of Shaphat could attest, 

7.     that there is no other who can provide such life. 

8.     Without the Kernal of the Seed, ground into flour through the sufferings which were ordained from the beginning by the Father, the death remains. 

9.     In like fashion; it is we who have the penalty of death upon us without the same Flour being mixed in because we also have pursued the double-mindedness of the world. 

10.  I hear reports of multiplications of salvations amongst you all. 

11.  Can it be true that you seek your identity apart from the risen Christ? 

12.  Who, then, died for you? Who suffered the indignities of the Cross and rose triumphantly for you? 

13.  Are you not named by the Lord of the Universe and claimed as His?

14.  Walk, then, in wisdom, and move a distance from the futility of the carnal mind. Know, assuredly, that life is found only from one Source, and He is enough. 

15.  Let your mind be on heavenly things and renounce the earthy things of the flesh, in which is no chance of life.

Chapter 3

1.     Husbands, endeavour to love and serve your own wives as Christ does the Church. 

2.     Fulfill the promises you made at the altar, knowing that your Lord has fulfilled all His promises and His altar, 

3.     when the Church was birthed out of the side of the crucified Lord, just as Eve was out of the side of Adam.

4.     Wives, respect your husbands as the servants of the Lord, given to you by the will of God. 

5.     Supply support for them as partners in life, serving the Lord together, with gladness, rejoicing in the fruits of your union in the children and the children’s children.

6.     Children, hear the words of your parents and obey, that they are saved from the sorrow of a wayward child. 

7.     You are not the future of the Church but are now active members in your own right, called to serve the Lord of Glory as we all are.

8.     Finally, Saints of God, be strong in the Lord. The enemy presses upon you with his worldly wisdom, which leads to the precipice. 

9.     Seek not for how close you can get, but flee its very locations, wherever they may be found. Eschew all that pertains to his drawing us to him. 

10.  Pursue godliness without dilution, seeking the will of Him who loves you with everlasting love. 

11.  Stand apart that your garments do not pick up the smoke of the coming conflagration. 

12.  The eternal life of your loved one is in the balance for they also seek an example of Christlikeness in a world of bad examples. Be their light.

Chapter 4

1.     Though I remain in the environs of Heaven, I think of you often, pleading with my Lord,

2.     Who has replaced my faith with blessed sight. 

3.     I pray for you that you accomplish the tasks laid upon you by the Spirit of God. I pray that you love each other with the mind of Christ. 

4.     I pray you walk in the righteousness of God, providing light to those who live in darkness. 

5.     Some of you will come to me soon. The ones left behind still have the burden of ordination on you to do the will of the Lord. 

6.     I cannot come to you, but my prayers penetrate the chasm.

7.     Until then, peace be to you and grace, in the Name of God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I have you in my heart.

Amen

August 19, 2023 14:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Vid Weeks
18:00 Aug 26, 2023

original take on the prompt. Would it be posted on Facebook I wonder?

Reply

Show 0 replies
R W Mack
16:20 Aug 26, 2023

I'm always rather critical of religious submissions because, as a Catholic, it resonates a bit when someone misrepresents the faith. But not today! This actually seems as accurate as a piece could be with regards to canonical teachings and, frankly, the spirit of Paul and his works. It's refreshing and I appreciate your diligence.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.