1 comment

Holiday Romance Friendship

I have always loved winter. It had that aesthetic. The warm fires in fireplaces where magic happens, or long train rides across the country in the snow.  I love the feeling of closeness between me and strangers on the street. I love walking down the street when it’s snowing.

But one thing that I’d never thought I’d enjoy, is reading by the fire with someone other than my dog. My dog, currently, is my one and only lover. Reeses is the sweetest thing and I don’t know what I’d do without him. He’s my buddy for when I’m cooking or dancing in the kitchen, he’s my best bud. He got his name because he looks like a Reese's peanut butter cup when he sleeps.

Yes, I have human friends, but they’re all weird and extroverted. While I prefer to read or write in the comfort of my own home, they all want to go clubbing and to the mall where there’s even more people.

I work at a little craft shop off of main street and rely on the Holiday season’s to get through the summer. We sell wreaths and ornaments, all sorts of stuff to decorate your home during any season. You just have to wait until that season to buy it, we’re too small to sell all of it at once. But that’s okay, it keeps people coming.

My favorite hobby? That’s an easy answer, reading. I will read literally anywhere. A party, in the bathroom at work, by the fire - the best place by the way - in bed, on a train, in the car, anywhere. If you’re talking, I’ll listen and put my book down, but as soon as you stop, the book comes back out.

This morning I woke up with Reeses laying on my chest, it was suffocating and uncomfortable, but I let him lay there a little longer because he looked so cute. But I had to go to work today, it was Friday.

“If you want dinner for the rest of the month you better let me up, Reeses.” I said, propping myself up on my elbows. He barely sat up. I groaned.

“Reeses,” I said, shoving him off, “You want to go outside?” And those were the magic words. He was up and speeding towards the back door. His nails skidded along the hardwood floor as he bolted through the house.

I took my time getting out of bed. I slipped on my fuzzy grey slippers and padded across the house. Reeses was waiting by the back door, his tail wagging like crazy and hitting the wall and the trash bin. I laughed and opened the sliding glass door.

I watched as he sniffed around the tiny yard for a minute before turning back to the kitchen where my coffee sat waiting in the pot. I have a preset timer on it to start steeping and it finishes right before I wake up.

I pour myself a mug and hold it with both hands as I inhale its sweet perfume and look out the back door as Reeses comes trotting back. I let him in and went back to my room to get ready for work. Reeses waits for me on my bed.

I pull out a comfortable long sleeve and a muted green cardigan, as well as some blue jeans and warm socks. From my closet I grab my black boots and my bag. In my bag I’ll put my current book and my cell phone charger, as well as some cash for a coffee after work.

After I’ve brushed my teeth and put my jacket on, I say goodbye to Reeses and pat him on the head before going out to my car. I remote started it as I was brushing my teeth so it’s warm when I get in.

The drive to work isn’t that long. It takes about fifteen minutes and I’m always early. I don’t rush. Instead I sip on my to-go coffee from home.

When I get to work I step out of the car and barely slip on the ice that’s piled up on the asphalt. Walking up the stairs to get into the building is another story. I remind myself to put a rug out on the steps before we open.

In the break room I set my things down with a flourish and take my beanie off. My hair is a mess and I know it so I finger comb it before it gets frizzy. But that’s unavoidable so I go to the employee restroom and wet my fingers down barely and pull them through my hair.

After laying the mat on the steps out front I come back inside and put on my beige apron and flick on the “open” light. My co-workers will be here in a minute, they’re always five minutes late, and I don’t mind.

As I stand behind the register reading my book - like I usually do - the bell above the door rings and I put my bookmark in my book and close it, waiting to hear footsteps on the hardwood.

Instead I see my co-worker standing in the doorway looking blankly at the shop in front of her. I’m startled. She’s not moving or blinking, just standing there.

“Jessica,” I ask, approaching her. She looks at me like she’d just seen a ghost. I take a step back. “Jessica are you okay?” I ask. She reaches out to touch me, but I’m out of reach and would rather keep it that way.

Suddenly she snaps out of it. “‘Morning Avery.” She said, continuing on as if nothing had happened. I mumbled a goodmorning and walked back behind the register.

I was about to open my book again when the bell above the door chimed. I looked up to see a boy with bedraggled hair that looked like he belonged in a band. His loose t-shirt hung off his shoulders like he just fell out of bed. He was wearing shorts? In winter? I pulled my gaze from him and instead focused on something else, which was difficult.

“Do you guys sell bookmarks?” He asked, coming up to the register. I nodded.

“Yes, would you like me to show you?” I said, coming around to face him.

“Clearly.” He said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. I nodded and led him through aisles of hand-made crafts until we made it to the extensive bookmark collection that I myself had made. The boy looked satisfied and I made my way back to the front of the store as the bell chimed again.

It was my other co-worker this time. I nodded a hello and re-opened my book and began reading.

A few minutes later a finger brought the spine of my book down to the table. I glanced up to see the boy standing with at least six bookmarks in his hand. He looked embarrassed.

“I couldn’t choose.” He said, his face turning red. I chuckled.

“And that’s a problem?” I asked, ringing him up. I announced his total and he paid me.

“Sometimes,” He said, “I have at least forty-two of these lying around my house somewhere.” I laughed again and this time he allowed a small chuckle. I handed him his receipt and placed my hands on the counter.

“Thanks.” He said, and went out the door. I listened as the bell chimed again as he walked out. I opened my book again and read for another two hours before we had another customer walk in through the door.

After work I slipped on the ice by my car again. I sighed and pulled myself up from the ground and cursed when I saw several people staring. As I got in my car I shivered and pulled my jacket closer. I was ready to read and work on my college work.

It’s stupid, yes, that I’m looking forward to working on homework, but I get to do it at this cafe that has free wifi and unlimited coffee refills. I sit in this corner where no one ever goes so I can focus and turn my music as loud as I want in my headphones and zone out.

But first, I have to go home and let Reeses outside and pick up my school stuff.

When I get to the cafe I hurry inside, being careful not to slip on the black ice on the asphalt. But when I get inside, my table is taken by someone else. His shaggy hair conceals most of his face so I couldn’t recognise him. I walked over anyway.

“You’re in my seat.” I say, standing next to the table. He looks up at me, it’s the same boy from this morning.

“I don’t see your name on it.” He says, putting one of his new bookmarks in his book. I roll my eyes.

“I come here every day after work, this is my seat.”

“You could sit on the other side,” He said, “And then it could be both of ours.”

“That could work,” I thought for a second, “But I like that side.”

“So do I.”

“Of course you do.” I muttered under my breath.

“Just sit down,” He said, “We could switch every other day?”

“That,” I said, “I will agree to.” And so I sat. I pulled out my textbook and settled my headphones over my ears. They were already connected to my phone so I pressed play and started taking notes for my quiz next week.

He tapped my book and I pulled my headphones down.

“What do you want now?” I asked sarcastically. He laughed.

“I just had a question,” He said. I nodded for him to go on. “Did you make this?” He held up his bookmark for me to see.

“Of course,” I said, “I do all of the book related items and sometimes garlands. Why?” He shrugged.

“I just really like it,” He said, “It’s neat.”

I blushed. “Thank you.” I began to pull my headphones up again but another one of his questions stopped me.

“What’s your name,” He asked, “I never thought to ask you.”

“Avery,” I replied, “Yours?”

“Cliff.” I nodded and was finally allowed to go back to studying.

After a few days like this after work, Cliff and I formed a close friendship. He got me talking about my favorite books and I did the same. Eventually I took him to meet Reeses. They bonded in a snap.

Three days before Christmas while Cliff was visiting my house, he asked me a question I’d been waiting for since the beginning. He was playing with Reeses and I was reading on the couch a few feet away.

“Avery?” He said tentatively, getting up from the floor and sitting next to me.

“Hmm?” I barely looked up from my book.

“Look at me, please,” He said. I looked up. “I have a really important question.”

“What is it?” We’d played this game before, so I thought his question would be stupid like it usually was. I had a stupid answer ready to respond with.

“Will you be my girlfriend,” He asked, “Standing under the mistletoe is lonely without you.” I blushed bright red, I’d never been kissed nor have I ever kissed anyone. I glanced back down at my book.

“And you’re sure this isn’t a joke?” I asked, looking back up at him. He nodded. “Then yeah, I will be. But you owe me something.”

He looked hopeful. “And what might that be?”

I leaned over and kissed him, and it was everything I’d imagined since I was small. He kissed me back and it was warm and rich. Like hot chocolate by the fire with your favorite book. A person to spend Christmas with. I was finally not alone. I’m sorry Reeses, but you don’t talk, you don’t count.

November 22, 2022 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Annie Persson
23:17 Dec 25, 2023

Aww. Nice cosy romance. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.