0 comments

General

Secrets of the Art Auction

Caroline overheard James saying to the others. “ If you want news to get around faster than anything, faster than the speed of light, faster than a post on Face Book, tell it to Caroline and ask her if she can keep a secret. I suggest we tell Caroline that the Willendorfs are coming on Saturday. “ The group expressed their acknowledgement of this, with undisguised mirth. Edward said laughing, “What a good idea, it will save us a lot of public relations work and advertising.” James agreed, “yes she really is a bit of a blabber mouth.” Monica (her best friend) stoked it up further, “Yes one of us can tell her and ask her to keep it a secret. Who is it to be?” “I will tell her if you like” said Edward, Just give me until this afternoon.”  Jeremy remained silent , having a huge undisclosed crush on Caroline.

Caroline slipped away  unnoticed, she had been seated in the alcove next to reception. What nasty things they were saying about her. She could hardly believe her own ears. So the Willendorfs were coming, whoever they might be and she was not to tell anyone.

James, Edward, Monica and Jeremy were the new owners of Gallery 4. They had renamed it Gallery Quartet and were getting ready to have their first auction in two weeks time. “ We were lucky to get the three paintings more or less  thrown in with the African art.” The three paintings were by Charles Fairfield a copyist, or so they thought. “ We were also lucky to buy the whole collection of African art  more or less for a song.”

The African art collection was from a deceased estate where there were no heirs. The items up for sale were from Mali, Dogon sculpture, ranging from wood headrests to bronze sculptures, one, a  bronze pirogue. The pirogue should fetch in the region of 15000 pounds. Another was a Tyekpa maternity figure worth at least 5000. Mr and Mrs McIntyre had been collectors of African art and the Fairfields had been in a prominent place in their hall way.

 Art dealers are notoriously secretive and guarded about  information of new finds but The Quartet Gallery had given a preview to the Willendorfs, art collectors from France, well known for their good judgement.

Caroline, the gallery assistant, was the only  daughter of a wealthy family. Paul and Jemima Cartwright were avid art collectors, with more money than good taste but due to their social standing had the ear of notable art enthusiasts. Caroline who bore a remarkable resemblance to her mother was beautiful. She had long silky blonde hair, blue eyes, a captivating smile and a graceful  figure. Due to her upbringing she was intellectually stunted but this did not mean that she had no feelings.

Edward caught up with Caroline on that Monday afternoon just as she was leaving for home. “How are you Caro? Are you settling in alright as the receptionist to the gallery?’ “Yes fine thank you.” “ Are you coming to the auction next Saturday? It should be an interesting affair with some big names coming as buyers, plus the Willendorfs. Come and have a look at some of the items for sale. I will give you a preview.” “How ugly they look.” Caroline was looking at the bronze figures of women with drooping breasts. “Their stomachs are far too large and their buttocks quite gross. Why did people make them like that” “Well no one is certain what they signified to the people of that time. They are very old and some date from the 15th century,” said Edward, smiling to himself and thinking, really, how ignorant this girl was with all her beauty and wealth, a total misfit in the gallery. She did have the right connections however, through the parents and this was the reason she had been employed at the Gallery in the first place.

 Edward showed Caroline the Fairfield paintings. “ Why do people buy such rubbish?”

Thank goodness she only sat at the reception desk, where she could not do much damage, thought Edward.

“These artefacts and paintings are certainly not rubbish and the auction should be a success if the right people come along.  Caroline can you keep it a secret, that the Willendorfs  are coming?” “ Of course.”

The next night at home, Jemima Cartwright was preparing for a big dinner party. She expected Caroline to be one of the guests. With her beautiful looks she always brightened things up. “Put on something nice dear, and come and help to put the drinks out before the visitors arrive.”

Jemima had invited some well known figures from her clique of art acquaintances. The Holtzmans were here from Germany, the Gilberts from Cornwall, the Beaumonts from Paris and Tyler Levinsky the dashing young owner of La Galerie in Oxford. Tyler‘s friends had said, that in their opinion, it was a stupid name for an art gallery and not conspicuous enough. “Well darlings at least it is memorable.”

At dinner after the first course, Jemima introduced the subject of the Galley Quartet. “ It has changed hands recently and our dear Caroline has a job there as an assistant. Caro has always been interested in art, haven’t  you dear?” Caroline nodded her head . She did not need to say much with her mother around. That was a good thing, considering the circumstances.  

“ Do tell us about the gallery and its new owners . We are here for 4 weeks and perhaps we can fit in a visit.” said Mrs Holtzmann . “  “Oh” Jemima said” I do not think it anything to shout about, there is  not much going on there, very dreary and dull, so I hear. The new owners are struggling financially” The other guests listened and took note. Should she say something? Caroline asked herself. What harm would it do and no one would know that she had shared a secret. She would see. It was hard to keep secrets, especially those that you were entreated not to share. They became a burden if you were not careful. She was feeling burdened.

Later after the dinner party was over, Jemima asked Caroline how she was getting on at the Gallery. Did she have any news of any sort that would be of interest?

The Cartwrights  were eager to spend more money on art. If the African art was so great as Edward had said, purchasing something  could be a feather in their cap with other collectors. Anything was grist to their mill. Caroline tried to think of one concrete reason why after all, she could not tell her own mother of the Willendorfs, who were so high up on the scale of importance. No one would know that she had shared the secret.

The day after her mother’s dinner party Caroline logged in to her Face Book page. She had a lot of friends and they were almost all of them connected to the art world. Her mother was right, she did gravitate towards artists.

One of her FB friends was asking about art events in the area around London. What harm would it do if she told her about the auction and about her secret. The Willendorfs, what a lovely sounding name to mention to all her friends on FB. Yes she would  like to tell everyone. She could go to Twitter and see  what contribution she could make there.  After all some very important tweets came from all over the world!

The following week Caroline was out with friends from her previous job. She had worked at the National Galley in the Town Square as a clerical assistant. Her friends met her at the Red Lion next to the station. Henry and Candice were already seated when she went in, blown in by a gust of wind. She was glad she had put on her warmest coat. The fireplace was glowing with a newly lit fire.

“So what is new.  Are you missing the old place? Is it worth it, to have left? What is happening in your new place of slavery?” “ Why did everyone feel the need to ask her . “ There is an auction taking place on Saturday next week.” She felt the name Willendorf trembling on her lips, it would do no harm to tell would it?

On Saturday 24th of November the gallery staff were bustling about putting things in place. The auctioneer was due to arrive in half an hour. They  had decided that it was worth the expense getting a professional  auctioneer. Parking attendants had been hired to direct the flow of traffic. A catering service was even now carrying plates of snacks  to celebrate the success of the sale.

Edward and James were scurrying round straitening the objects on the tables. A guard stood impassively in the corner of the room. He was there in case the crowd became unruly. The  four partners were expecting that ‘ chandelier bids’ would be the order of the day to push the prices up. They had put reserve prices on the Fairfield paintings to encourage the bidders to compete with each other. The reserve prices were secrets too.

The time was now 2pm. Where were the crowds? No one came except for the Willendorfs and a small  trickle of members of the public. Bertha and Bernard  had a field day buying all the stuff up, without any competition. Chandelier and phantom bids had not been necessary.  “Look at this Bertha , what a haul we have got.”

Just then Caroline appeared from the back of the hall.

“Caroline,” asked James. “Did you tell anyone that the Willendorfs were coming to the sale? Their presence would have put the attendance up, of serous buyers. We would have had a great success. We expected the  Hotlzmanns who are here in London at present and at least Tyler from Oxford. Now instead it is a total failure. The Willendorfs would  have assured us of a good turn out, being so revered by art dealers and gallery owners. We all felt sure that you would tell all the people with whom you come in contact. They would have added authenticity to everything.”  Edward and Monica were standing close by. “ No! Of course I told no one. You asked me if I could keep a secret and I did!

August 20, 2020 14:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.