0 comments

Mystery Fiction

“Stay with me, Sanchez!” She shook him, and Horace pulled her away. 

“That is probably the last thing you should be doing to an injured person,” he said, a couple of people laughed. She pushed Horace, spitting in his direction. 

“You don’t know anything, traitor!” she cringed as she spoke, thinking of how stupid she must sound. Horace sighed and looked at Luther’s limp body. 

“I know there is nothing we can do for him. I’m sorry,” she burst into tears, right on cue. The lights faded. The curtains closed. The crowd grumbled. 

“Don’t worry folks! We’ll have another presentation next Tuesday.” Melvin said from the other side of the curtain, Horace gave Luther a hand to get up and they left the stage, “Thank you so much for coming and hope to see you soon!” A few people clapped and she could hear the ruckus as they got up to leave. She glanced at the people carrying props away, from the side wings and down the trapdoor in the centre of the stage. They were quick and efficient. The place would be empty in minutes.

“Tinsley!” Luna called her name. She tensed, now was not a good time. In fact, it was probably the worst time. Nevertheless, she turned and faced her, plastering a cheery smile on her face. 

“Yep?” 

“You did great today,” Luna said, stopping in front of her, “I already have your script ready for next time and wanted you to read it over,” she handed Tinsley a huge stack of paper. This was normal; she usually helped Luna shorten the script to only what was necessary. Today Tinsley gave it back to her. 

“Hold that thought. I might not be the right person to give it to,” she told her.

“What?” Luna frowned and raised an eyebrow, but Tinsley didn’t bother answering and stepped through the curtain to talk to Melvin. The last two guests were leaving. Melvin’s green-grey eyes were fixed on them intently, his caramel-coloured face cold and devoid of emotion. She could only guess what he was thinking. Though she didn’t really care. 

“Melvin.” 

“Yes dear?” He answered, not looking at her until the last person had stepped out the large oak exit doors. 

“I’m quitting,” Tinsley said, determinedly. Melvin was known for his manipulation skills. It wouldn’t work on her. She'd prepared. 

“How’s your day been?” he asked. Tinsley furrowed her brows but played along. 

“Fine, you?”

“Positively wonderful love, I had eggs and bacon for breakfast, you?”

“Toast..aren’t you going to say anything about my resignation?”

“What’s the most favourite thing you’ve ever done?” Melvin once again ignored her, getting on Tinsley’s nerves. 

“Sir, I’m not here to answer your random questions.”

“Pity. I suppose you’ll want your share from tonight?” He said, looking disinterested. Tinsley blinked, surprised. Was he not going to try and convince her to stay? Maybe this was part of his manipulation. 

“Y-Yes. Now please.” She answered. Melvin smiled briefly then reached into his coat pocket, where he kept all the money from those who came to watch. There was a bang from behind the curtain, Tinsley was confused for a moment. Then Tinsley was no more. Melvin’s eyes widened and he jumped back in surprise. 

“Oh! Goodness.” He recollected himself and looked at Tinsley’s fallen figure. Shot right through the side of the head. There was blood pooling all over. He frowned and pulled back the curtain, “Hello- may I ask who shot my late employee here?” No one answered, the stage was empty, but he could hear footsteps running both away and toward the stage. Tall, well-built, sharp-jawed, Horace appeared. 

“I heard a bang-” He shut up as his cognac eyes landed on Tinsley, he made no further comment, but his gaze came slowly back to Melvin, who had now fully opened the curtains. 

“Could you get a cleaner? There’s blood everywhere. I hope it doesn’t stain the floor.” Melvin said, glancing at Tinsley, “Oh, a doctor might help too.” 

“You killed her!” Horace exclaimed though he did it in a way that made it hard to tell whether it was an accusation or question. Melvin looked around then back at Tinsley. 

“Does it look like that? Well, I suppose it does. I don’t have a gun though.” He faced Horace, Luther and Luna had also come now, “You can search me if you’d like.” 

“You bet I will,” Luther growled, he walked over to Melvin and patted him down, then began checking his pockets.

“Careful, that one has my money. I’d rather it doesn’t fall through the gaps between the boards.” 

“How can you be so calm?” Luna asked, she was pale and gripping her stack of paper so tightly it seemed her fingers might go right through. 

“Oh don’t worry, I’m panicking on the inside love,” Melvin told her with a smile. Luther finished searching him and looked at Tinsley with a stricken expression before turning away.

“We need to get everyone, ask questions, search the place for a gun. Melvin- what exactly happened?” Horace asked, Melvin cocked his head to the side and took a lazy step away from Luther.

“I’d love to explain, but first I’d like the cleaner to come, and a doctor, and maybe the police, no?” 

“You want the police to come?” Horace asked, raising both eyebrows, “It’ll blow up in a jiffy, wouldn’t that be bad press?” Melvin shrugged.

“Any press is good press in this obscure, struggling theatre.” He told him.

“This is the most popular theatre in the province,” Horace interjected. 

“I’m so sorry to interrupt,” Luther intervened, his pale face not looking sorry at all, “But have you forgotten Tinsley’s dead body on the stage?!”

“Of course not bud, I have only two things to say. Firstly, Horace, I don't understand why you are so reluctant to call the cops in order to protect my theatre’s reputation and I ought to say it looks mighty suspicious.” Horace began to defend himself but Melvin shushed him, “Secondly, Luna would you be so kind as to call a cleaner for me, a doctor for you, and the police for Tinsley?” Luna nodded faintly and stumbled away. Melvin watched her until she was out of sight. “I hope she makes it.” He murmured. Luther had started crying. 

“Now will you tell me what happened?” Horace asked. Melvin pivoted towards him and smiled. 

“Of course. I was watching the last of the crowd leave the building when Tinsley approached me to resign. We talked for a little while and right as I was giving her the money her brains were shot clear out.”

“The workers will have to be questioned,” Horace muttered, mostly to himself. Melvin coughed awkwardly.

“Just because you're the detective in the play means you're apt to be one now,” he turned to Luther, “You too, just because you played the role of her lover doesn't mean you should go blubbering about as if she actually had feelings for you.” Luther frowned angrily and wiped his tears, storming off the stage. 

“Wait!” Horace called, going after him. Melvin looked off the stage at the seats, it almost felt like the end of an act. As soon as the curtains closed Tinsley would get up and walk off the stage, out of dead character. That wasn't the case though. 

“Mr. Melvin Sir?” Penny's shy voice said, she was the cleaner. Melvin clapped and spun around.

“Splendid! I'm glad you came so quickly. Could You clean this up?” He motioned towards Tinsley's body and Penny cried out sharply. “Did Luna not tell you?” 

“No sir!” Penny shook her head, “Max came over and told me a doctor had told him that Luna had said to come to clean the stage.” 

“Max the stage hand?” Melvin inquired, the man was usually asleep. Penny nodded, her eyes were wide and her hands trembled, “You won’t pass out right?”

“No,” She said uncertainly, then again, “No sir!"

“Lovely,” Melvin patted her shoulder lightly then watched drowsily as she picked up the mop and bucket. She dipped the mop and as she took it out to begin mopping Melvin perked up and ran to stop her.

“Put that back in the bucket!” He yelled, Penny jumped, startled and dropped the mop. Melvin was quick though and caught the stick of it in the palm of his hand.

“Goodness Penny you nearly ruined me!” He placed the mop back in the bucket and handed it to her, “Didn’t even think of how you were erasing the evidence did you?” 

“No sir, sorry sir,” Penny moved the cleaning supplies away. Melvin sighed.

“Not to worry, just stay here until the cops have finished,” He told her, checking his watch. 

“Yes Mr. Melvin.” Penny rested the mop against the wall and folded her hands neatly in front of her as she nodded. In a moment there were steps coming toward the stage. A fat bearded constable was here, being carried by Horace and Luther. Penny gasped.

“He was stabbed! We found him at the entrance,” Horace explained, setting the constable’s body down. Luther dropped the man, looking disgusted.

“Oh jolly, and why may I ask, did you bring him here?” Melvin inquired. Horace frowned as if he didn’t understand the question. 

“To show you.” 

“Of course you did. Since you’re so good at bringing people could you get the workers? Luna and the doctor too please,” Horace nodded and stepped out, Luther on his tail and Melvin swerved to face the petrified cleaner. “Penny, could you answer a question?” Penny nodded slightly. “Why would they send over only one officer to check a murder?” It took a moment for the girl to answer, and when she did it was quiet and nervous. 

“Maybe they were busy? Sir.” 

“Maybe,” Melvin agreed as he walked over to inspect the officer’s body, the dagger used was still in his chest.

“I don’t understand sir,” Penny answered, but before Melvin had a chance to answer Horace and Luther returned with the troop. A few cried out at the sight of the bodies, others simply looked disturbed. 

“Where’s Max?” Melvin asked, searching for the man. 

“Asleep most likely, as he always is. He wouldn’t be of any help to us,” Luther answered and looked at him skeptically. Melvin shrugged and looked back at the constable. Horace stepped before the group to speak.

“As you can see there’s been a horrible incident, though we are sure none of you are to blame, we'd like to ask you each a few questions. If only to find clues that’ll lead us to the true perpetrator,” He proposed, the people whispered among themselves, “The facts we have are that the constable was stabbed, the medic can tell us how long ago.” The doctor ran over to the officer’s body and began checking him, “Tinsley was shot in the head just over half an hour ago.” 

“Is the gun missing?” A youthful voice piped up. 

“Pardon?” Horace asked, looking from face to face for the voice’s owner. Louis, a less important stage hand who’d been recruited just a few months ago, stepped up. 

“Is the gun missing? If it is, I think I know where it is.” 

“How?” Horace asked, looking dumbfounded and sounding a bit accusatory. Louis began to look a bit nervous, but an old actress, Melinda, nudged him and he answered.

“I was under the stage putting away a set piece when the trapdoor opened up and someone threw a gun down. I didn’t think much of it sir; it was the same gun used in the last act when- well when your character was killed off. I thought maybe someone had forgotten it and was too lazy to take it all the way to the prop room, so just threw it down so it’d be someone else’s problem,” Louis stopped to breathe, his face red as a beet, then continued, “I didn’t know it was loaded sir, didn’t think to check.” 

“Not even after the bang?” Melvin asked, stepping away from the wall he’d been leaning on beside Penny and walking over right in front of Horace, blocking him from the boy’s view.

“Bang?” Louis asked, looking surprised. 

“Yes, a shot was fired, and there was a bang. You didn’t hear it?” Melvin tilted his head and Louis swallowed hard.

“I- Well- After- after a recital, there’s all sorts of crashing and banging sir, with things being taken down and all. I musta heard it only- not noticed it,” The boy looked at the ground, all his efforts to not lie were making him look more one like one. He was believed though. Horace stepped beside Melvin, once again calling the spotlight. 

“Thank you Louis, would you mind getting the gun so we could check it?” He requested, Louis nodded and ran away, “Does anyone else have useful information?” 

“Tinsley was finally happy,” Juniper said, her melancholic blue eyes stuck on Tinsley. She was known to be a good friend of Tinsley’s, “She always hated it here, said the share was too small. She’d been offered a much better job with another company, she was going to quit here today.” 

“Poor soul,” Melinda sighed. She tugged on one of her many beaded necklaces and somehow managed to stare at Melvin and glare at everyone else at the same time, “She was the only good person here.”

“Everything is wrong,” Luther spat, “This whole blasted business is wrong!” Melvin patted Luther’s shoulder and then walked over to Louis who had returned with the gun. The boy handed it to him. 

“Empty, there was just one bullet in there. Think that clears everything up.” Melvin stated. 

“What do you mean?” Horace asked. 

“The shares are too small, no one’s happy about it. The plan was to kill me. Horace and Luther planned to kill me, get a working gun identical to the prop one and put just one bullet in it. Then, kill me. Nevertheless instead of everyone leaving but me leaving immediately as planned Tinsley stays behind and I can’t be killed. Being the imbeciles they are, Horace and Luther decide to shoot from behind the curtain to not be seen but end up hitting Tinsley instead of me. I think Horace was the one with the gun, leaving Luther furious at him since now they were both neck-deep in trouble. In a panic Horace just wants to get out and throws the gun down the trap door instead of taking the time to return it to the prop room, unaware that young Louis is down there. Luther realizes that Luna saw them though and they both go after her. Horace hears my voice though and realizes I would hear them running, so he quickly returns to stall me. Luther catches up to Luna and gets her to keep quiet with either threats or money. Then he forces her with him back to the stage. Lacking creativity, the two take on their roles from the play. Horace tries to stop me from getting the cops. I notice that Luna is very uncomfortable, though I'm yet to realize why, and send her away, Luther creates an ideal situation to leave and Horace follows him. They force her not to get the police. She gets a doctor but secretly tells him to get the cops, the doctor then not so secretly tells Max to get the police. Horace and Luther see this, go after Max, kill him, then disguise him as a cop and bring him to me so that I think the cops came,” Melvin removed the officer’s beard and hat, revealing Max, “As if I wouldn’t recognize my own set’s costumes!” Luther lunged at Melvin but some members of the troupe stopped him and Horace before he could slip away. “What is the conclusion?” Melvin asked, loudly, “Everyone innocent gets a fifty percent raise!” Then he dropped the gun, beard, and hat, and left. Funky music started playing and credits rolled on the screen.

“That movie sucked,” Emma told Albert, her boyfriend, as others began to leave the theatre. Unfortunately, the young man had fallen asleep.

November 05, 2022 00:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.