"Friends Forever"

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

1 comment

General

It’s been quite a while since I last saw her. I remember when we used to play at the playground, when we were just two tiny children, having fun with one another. We grew up together, in the same neighborhood and we were always like sisters. We might didn’t have the same blood, but that wasn’t what made us sisters. We were always together, everywhere. Our moms used to be great friends, due to our friendship, so it was quite often for both of us to be eating together at each other’s houses or just have dinner all together. 

Once I remember, when she didn’t go away for the Christmas holidays, her and her family came to our house and we celebrated Christmas and New Years Eve together. I loved her so much, and until the age of 15 we were best friends. 

At 16 years old, she had to leave the city with her parents, because her dad had found a new job in New York City, and I mean, who would turn down an offer like that, since they offered him the manager position at a high class restaurant. We still remained best friends, of course, but it was harder to keep in contact every day, since there was such a distance, and each of us had other things to do as well. So instead of communicating every day, like we used to, it suddenly started to reduce, and at first it became day after day, then it became 4 times a week, then 2 times a week. Now we had come to the point of communicating once in 2 months maybe. 

It was hard for both of us. I missed my best friend, and she missed me. There were times when she came to my city, so that we can hang out and catch up to what had happened from the last time we had spoken. 

We’re 21 years old today, and suddenly she calls me, after we had a year to speak to each other, and she told me that she will come back to our neighborhood and that she found a house next to me, so that we can be together again, plus her University is here, so I’m guessing we’ll be in the same one. 

So I headed to her place to welcome her back, with a little gift I had to give to her, which I knew she would freak out. 

When I saw her at the front door, opening to me, before I even knocked, I got so excited, because I hadn’t seen her in 2 years up close, and she was so beautiful, and I didn’t remember that she was that tall. As soon as she hugged me, I felt butterflies in my stomach, which I had years to feel, I didn’t even know I had them again. We hugged for like 5 minutes at the front door, feeling the cold breeze of the air and the warmth of her hug. 

Everything seemed slower in time, as she was hugging me, not wanting her to let go, but eventually, she did, and then smiled at me. 

I took the big box I had as a present for her and we got inside her house. 

She wasn’t expecting me to give her a present. We went to her bedroom upstairs, in order for her to open it. The house was big in size. The wooden floor had been vacuum cleaned and was very clean. Everything was neat and very organized. I got a bit jealous, because I wasn’t very organized myself. 

I had gained a few pounds since the last time she saw me, so when I walked the stairs, I got more tired than other times she saw me. 

We sat on her bed, and while she opened her present, I glanced at her bedroom, which was also clean and organized and everything was in the right place. Mostly blue and purple, since they were her favorite colors, and so was blue my favorite color. 

She screamed from excitement as she saw what I had gotten her. 

I knew she had a big nerdy side, so I wanted to give her something beautiful and unique, so I bought her almost 200 older and more rare hero comic books from DC and Marvel, like Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. 

I told her that I knew she collected them, so I thought of getting her these. She immediately hugged me, and told me she couldn’t believe I did something like that for her. You can guess it wasn’t a cheap purchase, but that wasn’t what mattered to me. 

And today was the actual day that I wanted to be honest with her about something that I had hidden from her the past years and I didn’t know what or how to tell her, because I was afraid of losing our friendship, plus afterward she left, so I couldn’t tell her that then either. 

As she hugged me again on her bed, to thank me for the comic books I got her and because she missed me, all of a sudden, I let it out, “I like you”. 

She looked at me and said, “I like you too”.  

“No, I mean like, I like you a lot” I tried to explain again. 

She looked at me in the eyes and went, “Yes, I understood. And I said I like you too..A lot” and then she winked at me and grabbed my face towards her face. 

My heart raced and I couldn’t believe what was happening. 

“To me, you are my Superman.” she said to me and then she kissed me, making me feel like the happiest day of my life. 

Of course, I kissed her back, and we stayed that way for a while and then I knew that even though I didn’t know what my future was holding, I hoped my future will always be with her, even if we get lost at some point again, even if we fight, even if something goes wrong, whatever happens, I just hope I’ll be able to spend my life with her.

July 03, 2020 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

M Daniels
08:04 Jul 09, 2020

I have to say, I love the premise of this story but maybe give a bit more context on the narrator? I didn't really know who they were at the end. Sorry if i explained this weirdly or bad.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.