0 comments

Mystery

Lost at Sea




Everything changed. In one split second the whole world was turned upside down. She had come home after work at the hospital and turned on the television and made herself a cup of coffee.


Kicking off her shoes she sat on the sofa and saw that it was time for the news. The announcer was talking . “A fishing vessel off the Irish coast has capsized and gone down with all hands on deck, in the storm that started at 3pm this afternoon. There are no survivors and no bodies have been recovered. The vessel, ‘ Sunfish’ was battered to pieces and some parts of the hull have been recovered. The next of kin have not as yet been notified. A further bulletin will be broadcast in the news at 10pm”


A wave of anguish swept through Isabella. Troy was on that boat. He had told her two days ago that he was going for a few days fishing with his friends on the ‘Sunfish’. Her darling Troy. They had been dating seriously for a year and she had had the feeling recently that both of them were ready to commit themselves to each other for life. Whether it meant just being life partners, or getting married, was immaterial to her. She had known for some time that Troy was the one person with whom she wanted to spend the rest of her life. He was always very gung-ho but this suited her more reserved and retiring nature.


What could she do now? The news had said nothing about where the authorities could be contacted. The thought that she would never see Troy again was completely shattering. They had reached a stage in their relationship where everything felt just right. They both had good jobs, hers at the hospital and Troy had recently been taken on as a consultant in a management company.


No further information was given in the 10 O’clock news.


She sat up until the early hours of the morning and eventually went to bed but not to sleep, just to rest her tired body. She could not weep, the tears would not come, although she knew they would, eventually .


Isabella got up at first light and made herself a cheese sandwich which she swallowed down with a cup of hot tea. She knew there was no one she could contact. Troy was a loner in many ways, a law unto himself and he had not kept in regular contact with his parents, who lived in France. She rummaged through her desk drawer to see if she could find their address. She would have to send them a message. They did not have a telephone so she would have to go to the Post Office . They would undoubtedly be devastated, as Troy was their only child. She would see to it later in the day, during her lunch hour. Perhaps there would be more news by then which she could impart to them and a few hours of delay could not do any harm.


At 8 O’clock she got dressed and prepared to go to work at the hospital where she was a dietitian. She did not know if she could get through the day but it would be better than sitting at home alone, nursing her grief.


When Isabella walked into the department for dietetics, her friends gathered around. They all knew her boyfriend was a keen fisherman and that he often went out on the fishing boats from the small boat harbour in Manchester. “ We saw the news last night about the Sunfish being lost at sea. Was that the boat Troy was going out on? You said he was going fishing for a few days?” asked Joan. “Yes. He told me he was going on the Sunfish for four days fishing and I saw the news last night .” “You should have stayed at home” said Vicky, you will not be in a fit state for working. Give yourself a break and go home.” “ I can’t I would be more miserable at home than here. At least I have all of you around me instead of sitting at home on my own.”


At lunch time Isabella walked to the Post Office and sent a telegram to Mr and Mrs Bernard.


 “Dear Eloise and Francois. I have to send you the sad news that Troy went fishing yesterday afternoon on the Sunfish which has reportedly been sunk off the Irish Coast during a storm. They said on the news that there were no survivors. I am trying to find more information on the tragedy and will keep in touch with you. Isabella.


When she got home, Isabella forced herself to make something to eat although she felt she could hardly swallow. ‘One step at a time’ she told herself. I have to get through this somehow. She gave some food to the goldfish, the only pets she felt she could keep when she was out all day. They did not need much attention and they were sometimes fascinating to watch with their bright colours.


Turning on the Television, she again heard the same news bulletin that she heard the day before. The fishermen had not been found.


It was still light outside, being the height of the English summer. She would go out in the garden and listen to the birds. Taking her plate of sliced tomatoes , basil leaves and slivers of chicken which she had marinated in buttermilk and dipped in flour and paprika before frying, she sat on her deckchair and took a sip from her glass of lime juice. Now the tears started to flow. How could she survive without Troy? She could not imagine a life without him.


While she was eating she heard a noise at the garden gate. Putting down her plate she walked over and looking out in the dusk she saw a figure standing in the street. It looked like Troy. Could it be Troy? “ Troy” she whispered faintly, "is that you?” “Of course it's me Silly” said the figure, “ who do you think it is. Do you think you are seeing a ghost?” Troy had a smile on his face. “ Why are you looking at me like that? Why are you so pale?” “B- b- but you said you were going fishing on the Sunfish and it sank yesterday with all hands on deck,” “What ? where did you hear that?” “On the BBC news programme last night.” "Well I did not hear the news, because I have been out walking on the fells for two days running, with the Rambling Club. I was out of touch with news.”


“ But Troy why did you not tell me that you were not going on the Sunfish? I have been so distressed and even sent a telegram to your parents. They will be booking their flight to Manchester to come and see what has happened” “Oh gosh what shall we do about that ?  We will have to alert them to the fact that I was not on the boat that sank. In any case if they pitch up, it will be nice to see them . Anyway I did tell you”. “No you did not tell me. It is very bad of you not to have done so! I am extremely upset about everything .” “Well old bean if you had looked under our flower pot where we always leave messages for each other you would have found my note explaining my whereabouts.” 


Isabella walked over to the pot plant and lifting the flower pot found, sure enough, an envelope with her name written on the outside. The message held another surprise. “ Dear, dear Isabella,” it said, will you marry me? I will not be going fishing but will be out hiking for the next two days after which I will come and ask you for your reply. This will give you some time to think about it.” Isabella gave Troy a glimmering smile. “Yes” she said. “Yes what ?” asked Troy with a mischievous look in his eyes . “Yes please .”


 Over the next few days the good news was, that the fishermen on the Sunfish were found, they had managed to get into the life raft on the Sunfish before it sank. All five of them were packed into it like sardines in a tin. It was just big enough to hold them, until they were rescued by the RNLI. They lived to write their stories. That is, those of them who liked to write.















July 27, 2020 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.