26 comments

Creative Nonfiction

This story contains sensitive content

Triggers of war, death, violence.


Before the world falls apart, life in Kidiri is good. During the harvest, work on the sugar plantation is 'round the clock with long shifts. But the rest of the year, life is good. With a lovely wife, a one-year-old son, friends, tennis and plenty of G&T. And servants who take care of everything.


After the bombing on Pearl Harbor, after the fall of Singapore, it is just a matter of days before the rag-tag reservists, who have few arms and even less ammunition, surrender. By Japanese standards and morals, surrendering is the most despicable thing a soldier can do and thus deserves whatever he gets.


For months they languish in one POW camp or another. They learn that yes, bowing to the conqueror is part of their life now. They learn to tolerate a 'slaapie", someone who shares your bed. They learn to do their assigned tasks, no matter how menial. And They learn to tolerate idleness, heat and worry about wife and child.


In the fall of '42 they are transported from Java to Singapore. First a 200km ride standing in the back of a truck, holding on to each other to keep from falling off. Then the cross to Singapore. Six days in an assigned space of 120cm (4ft) long, 40 cm (16") wide and 75 cm (30") high. They are allowed on deck twice a day for food and taking care of nature. Once in Singapore they have a two-hour march to the next camp. Changi Village, a large British army establishment that is turned into a POW camp. (King Rat by James Clavell)


They don't know it yet, but Changi is the Hilton. Though the camp is no picnic, with too little and bad food and not enough space. Often, asmall space is shared with ten or more other officers in what used to be tiny servants' houses. But at least these tiny houses, as opposed to the barracks, do have a small yard, where a form of spinach can be grown to stave off scurvy. They learn what native plants and animals are edible and how to catch, prepare and make it tasty. Rat sambal, or any kind of sambal is preferable over the watery gruel or spoilt meat that comes from the kitchen.


In spring '43 the 'good life' is over. The officers are moved from their camp in Changi. Under the guise that food will be more plentiful in Siam. They are stuffed into cattle cars. Twice daily stops are made. Anyone who died, and many do, is swept off the car and left behind. One car at a time the prisoners are made to step out of the car next to a make-shift latrine. A large pit with a bamboo pole over the top. Side by side the POWs sit on the pole and try not to look down, try not to see the maggots crawl over the mountain of excrement left by other POWs.


After five days, they arrive at their new camp. Here they have to work. They are to hack their way through the jungle to clear a path for the railroad. The tracks run alongside a river. The river Kwai. They fell trees and dig out stumps that are hauled away by elephants.


Food, however, is less plentiful, a rare commodity, really. One bowl of rice per day and one cup of boiled water. Sometimes the jungle will provide a treat, like a monkey or a snake. Unless the guards confiscate it for themselves, this meat can be added to the hot water which goes by the name 'soup'.


Any scratch will get infected. Any infection will become a sore. Any sore will fester and work its way down to the bone. The only way to clean the wound is to use maggots. Malaria, dysentery and beriberi are just some of the diseases that are rampant. Sickbays are built. The less sick, the ones who can stand on their feet, tend to the ones who can't.


Every day graves are dug and filled. If the men don't succumb to illness, they die from exhaustion, beatings or malnutrition and starvation. Escape attempts are useless. Not only are the natives reluctant to help, but the terrain is treacherous and inhospitable. The coast is 300 km to the west. And should you survive the trek, go undetected or betrayed - after all a Caucasian man does not blend in - you still have a 150km sail in a borrowed or stolen dugout canoe to Ceylon. When you are captured, you will be beheaded in front of your campmates who must stand close enough so that they are bespattered with your blood.


In the summer of '43 the work becomes harder, true slave labor. A stretch and a curve of the planned track needs to be leveled; the grade made more user friendly for the train. In groups of five, they must dig up 25 cubic meters of dirt each day and move what they have excavated to a wall, a dike. The shift is not over untill the guard has carefully measured and approved the work. Two teams of two men, holding a blanket stretched between two bamboo poles carry the dirt to the ever-growing mountain. While the fifth man breaks up rocks and roots and defends their daily ration of rice from other prisoners.


With the increase of infectious diseases, separate hospital camps are built. These camps are run and staffed by the prisoners and overseen by Japanese guards. First the barracks need to be built for the sickest men. Then the less sick build barracks for themselves. Though food is even more rationed here, there is the possibility to grow vegetables, such as the native form of spinach. Here, once your fever lessens, you have time to think. You let your mind worry about loved ones left behind, wonder about the state of the world and think about food. Food is always on your mind.


Once the track is complete, in May '44, life becomes a little easier. Camps are combined. The POWs are moved to larger camps. One such camp has 10 US, approximately 3000 UK, about 1200 Australian and around 1800 Dutch officers. Here is a semblance of organization. Kitchen duties, scavenging and gardening duties as well as tending to the ill and injured. And repeatedly groups are sent out to make repairs on the rail. Whether the land has shifted, or the jungle is encroaching, or the rail is damaged from bombing, the line needs to be repaired.


By the end of '44 the RAF is able to resume and increase their attacks in southeast Asia. Unfortunately, and understandably, they will attack and bomb the railroad. Many POWs are injured and killed during these attacks.


Everybody finds their talent, whether it is hunting, scavenging or gardening. One gentleman repairs eyeglasses. The Japanese commandant tells him to clean the mildew discolored lenses in his binoculars. The question of whether to aid the enemy is debated long and heatedly. In the end four binoculars are repaired, the fifth one is 'damaged'. So sorry.


A crude microscope is fashioned from bamboo.


Practically every British officer owns a silver cigarette case. Few if any are buried with them. These cases will for instance give a new patella to one of the prisoners. Small drill bits and nails are made.

One of the doctors diagnoses a US Navy officer with a brain tumor. He is able to open the skull but unfortunately, he is not able to remove the tumor. A piece from a silver cigarette case is used to cover the wound. The patient is one of the first to be evacuated in the summer of '45. He lives another three months after he comes home, long enough to say goodbye to his family.


In August '45 the men in the camp are moved from Ban-Pong to Nakom-Nayak. The train stops for a while at the station in Bangkok. The prisoners, locked inside the cars, hear excited talk from the Thai that there was some large bombing on Japan.


The train ride is followed by another two-hour march to the new camp. About ten days later, a US officer in full dress uniform walks into the camp and takes over command from the Japanese. He announces that Japan has capitulated, that Mae West is still buxom, that Marlene Dietrich is still very lovely and that ladies now wear nylon stockings. And other such nonsense. His speech is almost at once followed by an airdrop of food. Many a man spends that night in the latrines, their stomachs not being used to chocolate and other rich foods.


The American officers are airlifted out first. Transport ships come for the British next, then the Australians go home.


Later that year, weighing less than 100 lbs., riding a borrowed bicycle, my father rides back into camp Changi where now my mother and oldest brother, now 5, are waiting for transport home. My mother and brother spent the war in a protective internment camp on Java.


The three, owning little more than the clothes on their backs, arrive back home in the Netherlands in the spring of '46.


That period of his life was often on my father's mind. Things like standing in line or barbecuing and more, would remind him of his POW years. He never was able to sit all the way through the movie. Can't blame him.


February 05, 2024 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Ty Warmbrodt
10:04 Feb 06, 2024

Amazing. So detailed. You must have done your homework on this one. So well written. This one has to get recognition.

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:38 Feb 06, 2024

From your lips to... :-) Thank you, Ty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
22:48 Feb 05, 2024

What a story, one you hope cannot be real but is so horrific it would be hard to be imagined. So many intricate details, like the guy with the brain tumor, he must have been a wildly interesting man, thank you so much for sharing his story

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:09 Feb 05, 2024

Yes, it is real. unfortunately. He often told us the details. I imagine it was therapeutic for him to talk abot it. Not always pleasand dinner conversation, though. :-/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Jenkins
23:19 Feb 15, 2024

Overall: Excellent story. It was entertaining and interesting at the same time. Beginning: It starts off talking about the Pearl Harbor attacks. I originally was assuming that this was an alternate history in which the US capitulates after Pearl Harbor and the Japanese win. That wasn't the case, though. Middle: The Second Great War really was a global war. Every country on Earth participated, either directly or indirectly. That is shown directly in this story. There was a section that talked about silver cigarette cases and how they were us...

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:22 Feb 15, 2024

Thank you, John. Thanks for the review and thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Grenness
22:55 Feb 14, 2024

So well written. Why some of our dads reflected silently, or got grumpy on Remembrance Day. I guess we will never really understand what those brave people experienced, defending our democracies. The details here are well expressed, and create a realistic imagery of struggles. Good research, the writer's choice of language was very effective. Worked well for this reader.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:56 Feb 14, 2024

Thank you so much for your feedback, Julie.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
11:53 Feb 13, 2024

Great read. Gripping and sad.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:27 Feb 13, 2024

Thank you, John. Yes, sad in that man can do that to another. painful for anyone to hear, but glad he ( and many like him) lived through it. thanks for readinf it. tj

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
19:41 Feb 10, 2024

What a brilliant educational read! It got me quite emotional. It's unbelievable, the parts of history most haven't experienced or will ever have to (hopefully). Thanks for this. Brilliant work

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:54 Feb 10, 2024

I do hope we have learned our lesson, but there might people somewhere in the world, who may think that history is still happening. But here's hoping Thank for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
19:04 Feb 10, 2024

My goodness Trudy, the horror, the horror but so important to remember and remember that evil does exist. Your last line about not being able to stay in line ring true as a friend's husband is exactly the same as it brings back some of his difficult memories from being in the Marines. thank you for sharing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:22 Feb 10, 2024

Thank you, Rebecca. He was one of the lucky ones. He met a US Naval officer 40+ years later who knew the man who had the brain tumor. That's how Dad knew he had survived long enough to get home. Small world.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
19:23 Feb 10, 2024

Oh my goodness he was indeed and what a small world we live in! Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:45 Feb 08, 2024

A horrific experience, but such an important story to tell. Humans are capable of this - both inflicting it, and surviving it. These stories, of actual people who actually went through it, help remind us of this reality - and that's the important bit, because if we don't believe this could actually happen, if we mistakenly believe it's too horrible to be real, we open the door for it to occur again. Thanks for sharing this. Unpleasant subject matter, but lots of good details. I'm glad he made it out!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:54 Feb 08, 2024

Yeah, me too (or I wouldn't be sitting here) Thank you, Michal. You are so right that we need to tell these stories, lest history repeats itself. I purposely left out the worst because blood and gore in reality is different from fiction.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:47 Feb 07, 2024

You can't make this stuff up. Amazing anyone survived. If your father didn't there wouldn't have been you. A wonder he could talk about it. Brave of you to write about it. I can see there is no reason to finish writing my story. It wouldn't compare. Hope you get some recognition on this.

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:53 Feb 07, 2024

Thank you, Mary. That's high praise. But please do finish your story, (I'll share a short list spot with you) LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:07 Feb 07, 2024

Wow. Great job on this one, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:16 Feb 07, 2024

Thank you. I pretty much had to do this one, I think the most technical toy I ever had was a kaleidoscope. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:39 Feb 06, 2024

As someone from Indonesia's "neighbour upstairs", a country where WWII POWs also had to endure a long trek for their transfer to another camp or they'd be shot, this one gripped me. Brilliant job detailing the horrors of war.

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:44 Feb 06, 2024

You're talking the Bataan March. Yes. gruesome. I didn't want to go into the real horrors too much. Fiction gore and mayhem, is different from reality, isn't it?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:40 Feb 06, 2024

Just reading about the Bataan Death March in textbooks was chilling enough. What more when it's happening to a relative? Either way, amazing job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
21:06 Feb 05, 2024

What a story!!! Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:14 Feb 05, 2024

Thank you, Hanna.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.