SHEILA'S VENGEANCE

Submitted into Contest #66 in response to: Write about a contest with life or death stakes.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Crime Fiction

Among the super-specialty hospitals in that city VJ had a reputation for good disease treatment and patient care. One of the specialists in VJ was Dr.Roy, a neurosurgeon. He was an imposing figure with his height and body build. He had rugged features and was balding. His always friendly smile made him popular with patients and their kinfolk. That day he was in his room in the hospital when the nurse brought him a patient’s file. He saw it and asked for the patient to come in. A good-looking lady came in holding on to a bearded elderly man. The lady said “My name is Monica and this is my father. You may not recognize him but he was once chief of police here.” She explained his benumbed feeling on one side of his body. Roy ordered investigation and when the results came he explained “There is a growth which causes the disturbance. It can be removed to bring normalcy. However I would like Dr.Sheela my colleague who is off today, to also study the case. Will you please come the day after tomorrow?”

Monica visited again and the two doctors jointly examined the patient and there was medical jargon between them. She said “What’s baffling is the fact that the numbing is intermittent. Anyway we could remove the growth.” Roy said “We could’ve the surgery next Saturday.” It was agreed to. Roy said “The patient will need counselling by our psychologist.”

Monica said “I’m a psychologist myself. I was teaching in a university in the USA. I quit the job and came back to take care of my father who is a widower. Of course my subject is behaviour modification on which I’m writing a book to be published by a specialist publisher.”

Roy said “You could also be present for the counselling.”Looking at her he thought she was charming.

Sheila had moved out and Monica said “Doctor, I’ve a few clarifications about the disease my father is suffering from.”

“You could come after 2 in the afternoon when I will be free.”

Monica met Roy and got all doubts cleared. She was very impressed with him as he behaved without any conceit. In fact she felt like chatting with him as he explained well and made her feel very much at home in his company. Monica then proceeded with payments etc for the operation and Roy said “I’ve told the theatre to be ready Saturday next.”

A little needs to be explained about Roy and Sheila. Roy had specialised in neurosurgery in the USA. When the head of VJ hospital had gone to the USA he had met Roy. After examining his academic record and considering his work there he had selected Roy for VJ as he wanted to return to India. Roy was a bachelor and had crossed age 35. Sheila had studied medicine in the UK and was recommended as excellent in diagnostics. She had also chosen to return to India and had been selected to join VJ. They had joined VJ only 2 years ago and had raised the reputation of the institution. Sheila was also unmarried. While Roy had his aunt to keep house, Sheila lived with her mother, a divorcee.

Since joining VJ, Sheila had an eye on Roy as the man to marry. But Roy had shown no amatory interest. With her shrewd female intuition Sheila’s mother had encouraged her daughter to court Roy. That day she said “Sheila, it’s your birthday tomorrow. Why don’t you invite Roy to dinner?”

“I had thought of arranging a dinner at the Banyan Tree restaurant but with Covid so active, decided against it. I’ll invite him home.”

The same day when they met at work Sheila said “Roy, tomorrow is my birthday. I had thought we could celebrate it with a few friends at the Banyan Tree. But with Covid spreading so fast, my mother asked me to be cautious. So we decided to only have you as our dinner guest at home if you agree to it.”

He asked “How many candles have to be blown tomorrow?”

She laughed and said “31.” She was shy as she added “My mother considers you as my best colleague.”

“Thanks. Tell her I’ll be at your home for dinner. I’ve tasted the khir at your place. Please tell mom to keep an extra glass for me.”

She was very happy and said “Come home at 6. We could then spend some time talking ‘brainless’ matters. Actually I’m sick of it.”

Roy laughed and said “Your invitation reminds me of an incident while I was in the US. I had a colleague Marge who worked as a child specialist. She was a white and was reputed to be a miracle worker in healing. I didn’t fancy her but she was a very good friend. I had resolved to be a bachelor. She had invited me home for her birthday and I had promised I would be there. The same day she died in a car accident. I was very moved as she was sincere and helpful. In fact I went to the funeral home and recorded my feelings and even went to the burial.”

Sheila said “But at that time you couldn’t have known how romance could come your way despite the early resolve.”

He got a phone call and small talk ceased.

The next day Roy landed in Sheila’s home with a package in hand. He greeted Sheila’s mother, and saying “Happy birthday” handed over the package to Sheila. She at once opened it and said “Mum, see this exquisite sari that Roy has gifted to me. I’m wearing a new sari alright but what Roy has presented me with is even better. I want to wear it now.” Her mother laughed.

Sheila was back in a few minutes in the new sari. Roy clapped and said “Suits you very well.” Sheila whispered her thanks.

There were many dishes for dinner and Roy said “I’ve eaten many types of potato dishes but this has a rare taste.”

“Sheila made it especially for you since you like potato in fried form. Have some more” and he got a big helping from Sheila. However the piece de resistance was the khir made out of almond. A large quantity had been laid out and Roy had his fill.

Roy said “It’s always tempting to eat good food. Sheila, you and your mother have laid out the best and in big quantity. Very satisfying! May be I’ll come again for a feast.”

Sheila went with him to the car park and saw him off. Back home Sheila’s mother said “Roy is a good fellow. I hope you land him.”

“Mum, Roy is very strong willed and has his own preferences. Let us see what happens.”

Monica’s father was completely cured. He said “Monica, that doctor is competent and also seems nice and informal. You could cultivate him.”

Monica had fallen in love with Roy but she felt he favoured Sheila as he looked to her in making medical decisions. Of course, how could she know Sheila was an ace in diagnostics? Her hatred for Sheila grew. Monica’s father invited Roy and Sheila to dinner at home to celebrate his having been cured. While Roy accepted, Sheila declined. Roy went with a gift for Monica. He was received cordially and he gave the gift to Monica. She opened it and found a sparkling silver chain set with pearls. He said “I bought this in Chicago to give to a colleague there for her birthday. A very helpful lady, a white. I had no romantic feelings towards her. She was killed in a car accident before the party. I hope you like it.”

Monica said “You had chosen a lovely piece. Thank you for the gift.”

The dinner was exceptional as it had been catered by a well-known restaurant. For them Sheila’s dad was still a VIP due to favours he had shown while in service. After dinner Monica’s father went to bed leaving Monica to chat with Roy. They spoke a long time and found they had similar views. He suddenly proposed to her and she said “I was waiting for your proposal. It’s accepted. I’ll announce it to my father tomorrow. He’ll be very happy.”

When Sheila came to know that Roy would marry Monica, her anger knew no bounds. But she bided her time as if things were normal between them. One evening when Roy was working late, Sheila closing her phone said “Do me a small favour. My laundry man’s son is here and needs to be dropped at his place on your way.”

“Sure. I’ll do it.”

“He says he is near your car.”

Roy saw the boy who seemed sick and seated him before he drove. He knew there was a washer man’s colony and dropped the boy off where he wanted. Roy knew he had to be careful as several places in the vicinity had Covid cases. As a cautionary measure he had even put on a new face mask! A couple of days later, Roy developed fever and had to enter VJ hospital for treatment of Covid. However, luckily it was found he had chikenguniya and not Covid. Monica who had been very concerned was relieved when she learnt that Roy didn’t have Covid and would be treated and discharged.

A fortnight later as Roy went for a walk he saw the boy to whom he had given a lift. The fellow was going with ironed clothes for delivery. Roy asked him how he was and the boy said “I was diagnosed with Covid and was rushing home to escape long hospitalisation when that lady doctor spoke to you and you gave me a lift. Lucky it was chikungunya.” He gave a piece of paper with his phone number and said “If you need anything washed or pressed, call me.”

Roy realised that Sheila had probably sent the boy with him so that he would catch Covid and die! Lucky he had only curable chikungunya! Roy learnt Sheila had resigned from the hospital.

END

November 04, 2020 05:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.