4 comments

Fiction Crime Horror

October 31, 1982. North Carolina.


Six-year-old Alice Anderson woke up and sat up in bed. She pulled the covers back and climbed out of bed. She chose an outfit and got dressed. Nothing felt weird about that day. Why would it? She didn't feel scared, she felt no uneasiness, the day felt normal just like every other day.

Alice liked Halloween, she liked getting to pick a costume and dress up. She loved carving a pumpkin, all aspects of the holiday were fun to her. At the age of six, Alice had no idea what the day held. She had no idea that was the last day she would see or be with her mother.


The evening finally came, and after waiting all-day Alice got dressed in her costume with the help of her mother, Abigail. She was Red riding hood this year. When the costume was on Abigail began brushing Alice's hair. Her long beautiful black hair cascaded down her back. Abigail admired her daughter as she continued brushing her hair. Alice was such a beautiful child, and her blue eyes reminded Abigail of her mother. Abigail loved Alice so much. Abigail was taking Alice trick or treating and Alice was very excited. Alice grabbed her trick-or-treat bag, "mommy are you ready?" Alice asked. Abigail grabbed her purse, "yeah honey." She answered. "Come on."


Abigail and Alice walked out the front door and started walking down the sidewalk. They went to a few houses. By the time they were done Alice's bag was half full. Abigail was going to ask Alice if she was ready to go home, but before she could a little girl approached them. She looked to be about Alice's age, maybe a little older. The little girl's skin was white as a ghost. She had big brown eyes and long dark brown hair. Abigail noticed she wasn't dressed up for Halloween. She was wearing a long black short-sleeved dress, tall black boots, and one of those black choker necklaces. She was looking at them with lifeless eyes.

"Hello?" Abigail asked with a nervous smile.

"Hi." The girl said frowning. 

"What's your name?" Abigail asked. 

"Amy." She answered. She had a blank expression on her face. 

"How old are you, Amy?" Abigail asked.

"I'm nine years old," Amy answered.

"Is somebody out here with you?" Abigail asked. "No." She answered.

"A child your age shouldn't be out by yourself," Abigail announced.           

"I live over there in those woods with my grandma," Amy answered while pointing.


Abigail looked over at the woods that Amy was pointing to. She felt a chill go down her spine. Abigail stopped looking at the woods and looked back at Amy. Amy was looking up at Abigail smiling. Abigail looked at Amy for a moment but then had to look away. Amy's smile was not sweet, it was a creepy, bone-chilling, smile. It reminded Abigail of a psychopath. Her eyes were suddenly dark pools staring up at Abigail. Finally, Amy spoke and said, "You should come to my grandma's house, she has lots of candy."

"Oh, I don't know," Abigail answered.

"It's the best candy." Amy Continued. Abigail just wanted to go home so she and Alice could get away from Amy, she was such a creepy little girl.

"Mommy please, can we go!" Alice begged.                                   

"I don't think so," Abigail answered.

"Please mommy, please!" Alice begged again. Alice was looking up at Abigail with those big blue eyes and suddenly Abigail felt bad.

"I guess we can go for a moment. But then we are going home. Abigail answered.

"Okay," Alice replied with a big smile.


Abigail grabbed Alice's hand and followed Amy as she started walking towards the woods. When they entered the woods Abigail was suddenly covered in goosebumps and had a very bad feeling. The trees were dead and they were black as coal. The branches were long with thin tips that looked like fingers trying to reach down and grab them. There were dead leaves scattered on the ground that crunched loudly under their feet as they walked. The only light they had was from the moon. The bright moonlight illuminated the area around them, making the whole area look very creepy. Abigail's grip on Alice's hand tightened as they continued following Amy.


Suddenly, a crow flew down at Abigail and Alice, they ducked to miss being pecked or scratched. As they stood up Abigail looked around and didn't see Amy anywhere. "Where did she go?" Abigail asked aloud. "Amy!" Abigail shouted while looking around. "Amy!" She shouted again. Abigail was just about to call out her name again when she heard laughing. It was sinister laughing that echoed throughout the forest. "Amy! Is that you?" Abigail shouted. She was shaking with fear but was trying to be brave for her daughter.

"Mommy I'm scared," Alice said hold on tight to her mother's arm. "It's going to be okay honey," Abigail said.

"Abigail," Amy said in a loud whisper.                                  

"Hello?" Abigail called out. She waited a moment but there was no answer. "Who's there?" Abigail shouted.

"Come find me, Abigail," Amy said. Again her voice echoed through the forest. "Come out now Amy!" Abigail shouted. Amy didn't come out and she didn't say anything. "Come out or we are leaving." Abigail continued. There was nothing but silence. Then Abigail suddenly felt someone touch her back. She quickly spun around expecting to see Amy but no one was there.

"Come play with me," Amy said giggling.               

"Mommy I want to go home," Alice said with tears in her eyes.

"It's okay honey we're gonna get home," Abigail replied.

Abigail looked around trying to find a way out, but she couldn't.

"Come on honey," Abigail whispered.


They started walking forward, as they did Abigail continued looking around. As she got further into the woods she began noticing toys on the ground. There were toy trucks, trains, dolls, an old jump rope, and a big red ball. Hidden behind some trees was a rusty old swing set. Abigail wondered what happened there. "Mommy can we please go home," Alice said again. "I'm working on it, honey," Abigail answered. Alice squeezed her mom's hand tighter. Terror caused her little heart to beat as fast as the wings of a hummingbird. They heard the giggling again as they walked through all the dead toys. This time it was not just Amy, it was multiple children.


Abigail stopped walking and stared straight ahead. Scared and confused by what she saw. There, in front of her was an old run-down two-story farmhouse. Abigail and her daughter stood silently staring at the house, not knowing what to do. It was a creepy black wooden house. Why was it black? The front door was the biggest door Abigail had ever seen. The picture windows all had black shutters on them. The enormous black chimney towered above them. The look of the house gave Abigail chills. "Follow me," Amy said suddenly as she walked out from behind a tree. Angry, Abigail turned around. "What kind of trick are you playing?" She asked. Amy giggled, "Are you scared, Abigail?          

"How do you even know my name? I never told you." Abigail asked. Amy didn't answer she just giggled as she walked up the old wooden stairs. "Come on," Amy said. Abigail and Alice slowly walked up the stairs. Amy opened the door. The door creaked loudly as Amy pushed it open the inside of the house was pitch black. Abigail and Alice stood on the porch they watched as Amy walked in and disappeared into the darkness.


Abigail and Alice slowly walked into the house. As they cleared the door it slammed shut behind them. Abigail realized how stupid it was to follow Amy into the house. They couldn't see anything, "Amy!" Abigail called out. Suddenly they heard the giggling again. Then they heard someone walking around upstairs. "Mommy I am really scared," Alice whispered. "It's okay sweetheart," Abigail answered. The giggling only stopped for a moment.

"Come play with me Alice," Amy said suddenly.             

"Mommy I want to go home," Alice said. "Shhh," Abigail whispered.     

"Alice," Amy said again in a creepy voice.


Then there was again total silence, a look of fear plastered Abigail's face. She was grateful that Alice could not see her face. Abigail was about to call out Amy's name when all of a sudden they heard someone running down the stairs "Get out of my house! A man shouted. They couldn't see the man because of how dark it was in the house. They had not even moved from where they were standing when the door first closed. Abigail was about to pick up Alice but before she could something or someone grabbed Alice's leg and dragged her into the darkness. "Mommy!" She shrieked. "Alice!" Abigail shouted, "Give my daughter back!" She shouted as tears streamed down her face. Abigail heard Alice crying and screaming. "Get out!" Someone whispered in Abigail's ear and she felt a chill go down her spine. Abigail stood helplessly in the darkness. There was not enough light to even move.


Suddenly Abigail felt someone's hand go around her neck. She heard giggling at the same time. "Come play with me, Abigail," Amy whispered. Abigail didn't say a word because she couldn't. The person's grip tightened and it became hard to breathe. Her heart was pounding as she struggled to get away. Clear out of the blue she heard a blood-curdling scream. Abigail knew it was a woman's but she had no clue where it came from. Every hair on her body was standing up, Abigail was sure her heart stopped for a moment. The screaming stopped and silence filled the room. The hand was still around her neck and she was so scared. Was this the end? She was going to scream but before she could she felt something hard hit the back of her head and the world went black.


Abigail slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she noticed was that she had a killer headache. She was laying on the ground outside near the woods. She had no recollection of what had happened the previous night. She slowly sat up in the grass and looked around. She was holding her purse and a big bag of candy. She wondered who the candy belonged to. She saw a name on the bag that read Alice. Abigail was confused, she didn't even know anyone named Alice. She didn't have any kids she never had kids. Abigail stood up and grabbed her purse, and started walking home. She left the bag of candy there on the ground. She was walking down the road when she got a feeling that she was being followed. She kept looking behind her but she didn't see anyone. As she was walking she heard someone call out her name. Abigail turned around "Hello?" She called out. "Abigail come play with me." The voice said. "Who's there?" Abigail asked. As she continued walking down the road it began to rain. Abigail heard giggling and quickly turned around "Who is there?" She asked again. "Come play with me Abigail." the voice said again. "Leave me alone!" Abigail shouted.


Suddenly Abigail tripped on a rock and fell onto the cold wet pavement, hitting her head as she fell. She slowly lifted her head, her vision was blurry. Through the blurry vision, she saw some approaching her. As the person got closer Abigail could see the person better.

Amy sat down on the pavement and began rubbing Abigail's head. "Who are you?" Abigail asked. Amy smiled her sinister, bone-chilling, psychopath smile. "It's okay Abigail," Amy said. She stopped rubbing Abigail's head. "We're going to play." She continued. She then had a rock in her head and before Abigail could say anything Amy hit her on the head. The world went black once more.


Abigail woke up, her head hurt worse than before. She didn't know where she was, she couldn't see anything for it was pitch black. Abigail felt around and knew she was in a very small space. Abigail started screaming. She screamed until her voice was raspy and her throat felt raw. She began hitting the walls but it was no use, no one came. She calmed herself down and began feeling around the dark space. It was a rough feeling almost like wood. Then it hit her like a ton of rocks. Her face grew ashen. She knew where she was, she was in a coffin. Who would bury her alive? She started screaming and kicking the walls of the coffin. Tears streamed down her face as she thought this was it. Suddenly she heard humming that tuned out her crying. "Hello!" Abigail shouted as she hit the top with her hands. She thought it was strange that she could hear humming but no one could hear her. "Please help me!" Abigail shouted. The humming stopped and there was silence for several minutes. "Hello?" Abigail shouted again. Abigail felt a chill go down her spine. She was suddenly very scared.


Then she felt a sudden sharp pain in her chest. She couldn't catch her breath, she felt as if she had been stabbed. She gently touched the spot that hurt so much, it felt wet and cold. Abigail knew it was blood. she heard giggling again and looked up at the top of the coffin. She saw Amy's head she was smiling. "You know Abigail," Amy began. "You really shouldn't follow a dead girl into the woods." Abigail didn't say anything, she couldn't do anything but gasp for air with a terrified look on her face.  "Happy Halloween," Amy said giggling. That's when Abigail noticed the knife in Amy's hand. Amy disappeared and Abigail tried screaming but no one ever heard her. And no one ever found her. No one even knew Abigail and Alice Anderson. It was as if they never even existed.                        

It's said that now every year on Halloween you can hear people screaming when walking by those woods.


October 31, 2002. North Carolina


Ten-year-old Hannah Nelson was walking around trick or treating when a little girl approached her.                                   

"Hi, my name is Amy." She said.                                                  

"Hi, I'm Hannah," Hannah answered.                                    

"Come play with me Hannah," Amy said smiling while holding out her hand. Hannah took Amy's hand and they disappeared into the woods.                                                                               


Hannah Nelson was never seen again.

October 30, 2021 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Celeste Anderson
21:02 Nov 04, 2021

This was a perfectly creepy Halloween story. Nice job!

Reply

Lexi Duckett
23:34 Nov 17, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie Carr
23:56 Nov 03, 2021

Great story! I especially enjoyed the part where Abigail regains consciousness the first time and doesn't even remember Alice -- didn't expect that at all.

Reply

Lexi Duckett
23:34 Nov 17, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.