Not So Cozy Cabin

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

3 comments

LGBTQ+ Contemporary Fiction

Winter had come in with a vengeance. Somehow, I made it up the road. Visibility was bad, but I could see the cabin in front of me. I hoped that there would be roaring fire, and I could settle in for the night. Finally, I made it to the door.  I knocked. “Hello?” I called. She had said that the door would be open. She was supposed to be here. I reached for the doorknob, and thankfully the door opened. But there was no roaring fire waiting for me. And she was not waiting. I stepped inside, and shook the snow off my coat and boots. I walked across the room. There was a fireplace, but no fire. Where was she? I walked to the table. There was some food and a bottle of wine waiting, thank goodness. Then I saw the note.

“Dear Robin,

“I know I promised you a romantic weekend in a winter cabin, but I’m sorry. I can’t do this. I can’t be in a relationship with you. But enjoy your time there. Hannah.”

I found some logs and managed to get the fire going. I ignored the food, and cracked open the bottle of wine. I began drinking it, then as the tears fell down my face, settled in front of roaring fire.


I must have fallen asleep, because suddenly I was freezing. I opened my eyes. The fire had burned out. I went to the logs, and rekindled the fire.  I realized I was hungry. So I sat at the table, and ate some of the food Hannah had left for me. I tried to ignore the note, but it was still staring at me. I quickly crumbled it up, and threw it on the fire.

Hannah and I had been dating for almost a year. We’d had our first Christmas together. When she invited me up to a cozy winter cabin for just before New Year’s, I thought it was perfect. If we could live in a cabin together for a few days, then we could move in together. But I guess Hannah had other ideas. I sighed. I thought I had finally met a woman who I could be in a long term relationship with, but once again I was disappointed.


The tears were threatening to return. So I got up, and noticing it had stopped snowing, figured I should get some things from the car. I walked across the room to the door, and with some difficulty, got it open. But the snow was piled high. I was stuck. I walked into the bedroom. The bed looked pretty cozy. Then I spotted the radio, and turned it on. “We certainly got a lot of snow,” the announcer was saying. “If you’re up in the country, make sure you have enough provisions, because it may be a while before the ploughs can get to you.” I walked back to the kitchen, and checked the cupboards. Thankfully, there was a lot of provisions. It looked like Hannah had planned for everything. So why had she changed her mind?


I noticed there was a fire place in the bedroom, so I put some logs on the fire. Luckily, the cabin was well stocked with books, since my suitcase was stuck in the car. Whoever owned the cabin had good taste. I found a book and immersed myself in reading. I didn’t want to keep thinking about Hannah. Finally, it was getting dark, so I fell asleep.


When I woke up, the sun was shining. The fire had burned out, but I easily got it going. I made some breakfast. I was lonely. I had been looking forward to this vacation. But I didn’t want to stay alone here without Hannah. Maybe the radio report was wrong.


I walked over to the door, and opened it. Some of the snow had melted. I got dressed, put on my winter coat and boats, and walked outside.

“Are you Robin?” a man came up to me.

“I am.”

“I see you got here alright.”

“I did, but then I was stuck by the storm. But I’d really like to leave. I was supposed to be here with someone but she left.”

“Well don’t worry,” the man said. He introduced himself as Aaron. “I own the cabin next door and I also own a snow plough. I can have you out by this afternoon. The main roads have been ploughed. I can also lead you down to the road so you won’t get stuck.”

“Thanks,” I replied. He was cute. If I was straight, he would be my type.


I went back into the cabin. I cleaned up everything, and put out the fires. It was a nice cabin. If I wasn’t so heartbroken, I’d have enjoyed it more. I packed a few of the provisions for the road, in case I couldn’t find a place to eat.

I was ready to go within an hour. So I read some more of the book I’d been reading, until I heard the sound of a snow plough. I exited the cabin and walked to my car.

“Thanks Aaron,” I said.

“No problem Robin,” he replied. I got in the car. Aaron drove down the road and I followed. I waved good bye when we got to the highway. “Thanks,” I said.


Soon I was driving down the highway. When I got home, there was a message on my machine from Hannah. “Hi Robin. You’re probably still at the cabin. Sorry I wasn’t there when you got there, but I realized I’m not ready for the same kind of commitment you are. Happy New Year, all the best.”

I deleted the message. Right, it was New Year’s Eve tonight.  Well maybe the next year would be better.

January 04, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Yannick Slock
08:47 Mar 28, 2024

We keep hoping next year will always be better...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B R
18:33 Jan 22, 2020

This short story was read like a personal memoir, or with some personal events behind the words. I really hope it does get better for you, dear writer. I like the simplicity of this story, like you know how to write short stories. It's depressing as life can be sometimes, but ends on a hopeful note.

Reply

Aha Blume
22:20 Aug 21, 2020

The character is completely fictional. I have been writing a series of stories about her, see some of my other Reedsy submissions. Chronologically, right now this one is first, although I wrote New Year's Kiss first.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.