2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Contemporary Fiction

Sheila Zayton's heart pounded, off-beat from the soul shaking pouding of the music. Too many bodies pressed around her, and she felt the masses shoving her around. Where was Dia? 

  She'd promised to meet Sheila by the front doors of the bar, but Sheila had been waiting by the doors for at least half an hour, and no sign of her best friend. 

  And Sheila was getting nervous. After her boyfriend of seven years had broken up with her, after she choose to abort their accidental baby, she had closed herself off. She had become an empty shell, living alone in her flat, working virtually, with the blinds always closed. 

  Her only line to society, and the world outside was her friend Diamond Kiro, who was the only person she ever let into her apartment, or made any contact to anymore. 

  Sheila was furious with her past self for agreeing to this. Only a couple months after she had terminated the pregnancy and closed herself off, Dia had gotten her to promise that she would make valid attempt to get her life back together, after a year spent however she wanted. Now, after a year of living alone, she was going to be going to parties ever week with her friend to meet people and "get her life back together." 

  She looked through the people, watching for the bright sea-green dress Dia always wore to parties. But with the strobing colourful lights above, and the disco ball, making seating spots in her vision, Sheila felt helpless. 

  Finally she gave up, and she turned towards the door, and pushed it open, making her way out, her head down like an injured puppy. 

  She could have sworn her heart stopped, and she just about fainted, when she noticed a guy, about her age, clutching hands with another woman. Because though he looked different after one year, her old boyfriend Matt resembled his younger self a lot. 

  A million memories, like a tidal wave, crashed over her. His screaming voice, as she laid in a heap on the floor, shivering with shock and fear. His fists smashing the door, when she had locked him out, scared of what he might do to her in his anger.

  But mostly that one day, when she had broken the news of their child to him, and how he had appeared overjoyed, picking her up, and spinning her in the air, kissing her, and grinning from ear to ear. But how confusion and anger had taken over that expression, a moment later, when she told him she was not ready for a child. How she did not believe that nineteen was an appropriate age for two people to raise a child.

  And how she planned to abort.

  Now, standing before him, eyes locked, she couldn't control the gasp that escaped from her lips. 

  I could tell the other woman was uncomfortable, as her eyes flicked back and forth between us. 

  He opened his mouth like he was about to say something, before his eyebrows curled downwards, like they always did when he was angry.

  "You. Finally come out of your hole of shame, you little ugly faced bitch?"

  "Babe," the woman holding his hand said, tugging him backwards. "Let's go..."

  She tugged him backwards, and Sheila suddenly felt a hand on my own shoulder.

  "Dia, oh god, I'm so glad you came to find me!" she said, spinning around and hugging her friend. Except then Sheila noticed it wasn't Dia.

   Oh fricken god, was the only thing she could think, as she let go of the guy she had just hugged. 

  "Um, sorry?" she said awkwardly, as he smiled. 

  "Ah, its fine. I'm not your friend, but I believe I know where you can find her. You mean Dia Kiro, correct?"

  "Uh, yep," she mumbled, wondering what was up. Why hadn't Dia come to get her? And why had she sent this guy instead?

  "This way," he told her, pushing through the crowd. She didn't dare look back. She didn't know what would happen if she had to look at Matt's resentful expression one more time.

  Finally they were at the bar, and their Sheila spotted her friend, spinning on the bar stool, and laughing. Dia had always been a natural beauty, and was practically a magnet to guys. But despite having her pick of attractive men, Dia rarely stayed in a relationship for very long. It always confused Sheila, but she never questioned it, because Dia was almost always happy, no matter who she was with.

  "Heyyo girlie," Dia called, sipping her drink. She grinned for a moment, before noticing the shocked and scared expression on Sheila's face. Dia locked eyes with the man she had sent to retrieve her friend, before looking back down at Sheila. "Wassup?" Her happy-go-lucky party attitude began to slip, as she hopped of her bar stool, and took Sheila by the hand, dragging her to a quiet corner of the crowded room.

  Immediately, Sheila broke down, and explained everything. Seeing Matt, and the awful flashbacks.

  "Oh, hon..." Dia scrunched up her eyebrows, and sighed placing her hands on her friend's shoulders. Shelia stayed silent. "Well, I'm sorry your first party in a year started out in such a shitty way, but why not at least enjoy what's left of the night? C'mon, drinks on me!"

  Dia dragged Shelia over to the bar, and handed her a drink. Shelia took it, and within a few minutes, she was tipsy.

  The night faded in and out of her mind, and she wouldn't remember much of it later. Other than laughing at stupid jokes, and dancing with her best friend.

  Somehow, through a dizzy drink-inspired stupor, she managed to forget her worries and fears for the night, and spend endless hours, having fun. Free from her grief-stricken ways her life had fallen into.

  For that one night, she managed to forget about Matt. Forget about the woman he had been with. Forget about work. Forget about sadness.

  She didn't remember the bar closing, or walking down the street, singing into the silent night air. She remembered letting Dia crash on the couch. And most of all, she remembered waking up, and thinking about the night before, thinking about Matt, and the memories that came with him. But most of all, how she had gotten past that, and had a good time, at her first party in a year.

May 15, 2021 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Si Guy 123
03:42 May 15, 2021

Hey, Si Guy's sister here... I wrote this story, and got Si Guy to submit it about 20 minutes before the contest ended, because I didn't have enough time to set up my own account. I'll try to make and account soon, and my user will probably be WAIII. You can call me that.

Reply

Si Guy 123
03:43 May 15, 2021

Si Guy here... Congratulations on the great story WAIII! glad you finally got it in ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.