2 comments

Christmas Inspirational Fiction

The winter wind howled through the narrow streets of Sterling Falls, swirling snowflakes dancing in its icy embrace.

Cedar Lane, lined with charming houses adorned in twinkling lights was draped in a pristine layer of snow, creating a picturesque sight.

However, this idyllic scene concealed the chilly stillness that enveloped a solitary home. This was the residence of Simon Harrington, a middle-aged man with a perpetual scowl etched into his features.

Simon, a man who despised the holidays with a passion that bordered on pathological, was all set for his annual escape to the sun-drenched beaches of the Bahamas.

For weeks, he had meticulously planned his getaway, leaving nothing to chance.

His suitcase stood guard by the door, a constant reminder of his imminent departure from the festive nightmare that engulfed Sterling Falls every December.

As a child, Simon had been scarred by a tragedy that cast a shadow over him every Christmas. A blinding snowstorm had claimed the lives of his entire family as they journeyed to his grandparent’s house for the holiday.

The haunting memories of that fateful night lingered, casting a frosty pallor on the season of joy. Since that harrowing incident at eight, Simon had declared war on Christmas, retreating each year to the sanctuary of distant shores.

This year was no exception. Simon’s flight was booked, his itinerary completed, and his disdain for the holidays was resolute. He had checked the weather religiously, ensuring no hint of a snowstorm would disrupt his escape. Little did he know that nature had other plans.

The snowstorm that swept through Sterling Falls was of historic proportions, a tempest that shut down the airport and locked the town in a winter wonderland prison.

Simon gazed out of his window to see swirling snowdrifts building up like frozen monuments to his misery.

“Canceled,” he muttered, glowering at the blinking red letters on the airline’s website. “How in the world is there a snowstorm now? Those damn weather forecasters couldn’t predict a snowstorm in a snowglobe.”

His suitcase, so meticulously packed, now seemed to mock him from the corner. Like mist in a blizzard, his visions of a Christmas-free two weeks by the sea dissipated. For the first time in years, Simon was grounded, trapped in the very crucible of his holiday aversion.

As if to add to his misfortune, the strains of a church choir wafted through the icy air. The local choir, a festive brigade of singers, ventured from house to house, sharing the joy of the season. Simon scowled at the idea, cranking up the volume on his favorite heavy metal playlist to drown out the carols.

However, Sterling Falls had its own guardian of holiday cheer—a spirited elderly woman named Jane Marshall, who just happened to reside in the house next door.

Jane, with her rosy cheeks and perpetual smile, took it upon herself to be Simon’s personal Christmas redeemer. Dressed in layers of knitted scarves and mittens, she trudged through the snow toward Simon’s house, determination etched on her wrinkled face.

“Simon! Simon!” she shouted, knocking on his door trying to be heard over his blaring music.

Simon grunted, irritated at the intrusion. He flung the door open, a gust of icy wind rushing in, bringing with it the faint scent of gingerbread.

“Merry Christmas, Simon!” Jane exclaimed, undeterred by Simon’s less-than-jolly expression.

“There’s nothing merry about it,” he grumbled, eyeing the pile of snow accumulating on his doorstep.

Jane handed him a plate of freshly baked cookies. “I thought you might need some comfort food on this snowy day.”

Simon reluctantly took the plate, eyeing the cookies with a mix of suspicion and resignation.

“Come on, Simon. It’s Christmas! Let’s spread some cheer,” Jane urged, her eyes twinkling with genuine warmth.

Simon scoffed, “Cheer is the last thing I need. Just leave me be.”

 “You can’t spend Christmas alone, Simon. It’s just not right,” she declared, surveying his sparsely decorated living room.

Simon rolled his eyes. “I’ve been doing it for years, and I’m just fine.”

“Simon, I have something for you. I’ll be right back,” Jane announced, as she hurried home.

Minutes later, Jane returned, carrying a bag of Christmas decorations. “I thought we could make your place a little cozier for the holidays,” she said, her enthusiasm undiminished.

Simon raised an eyebrow. “Decorations? I don’t do Christmas, Jane.”

But she wasn’t convinced. She went to work like a Christmas elf on a mission, adorning Simon’s home with twinkling lights and festive decorations. She even coaxed him into helping, a feat that required an impressive display of persuasion.

As the day wore on, the storm outside raged, and Jane’s efforts began to chip away at Simon’s icy exterior. The aroma of freshly baked cookies mingled with the scent of pine, and the soft glow of fairy lights cast a warm hue on the room. Against his will, Simon found himself caught in the crossfire of Jane’s holiday assault.

The evening brought more surprises as Jane, with an unwavering spirit, invited a few neighbors over to her house for an impromptu Christmas gathering. Simon begrudgingly joined the festivities and discovered a sense of camaraderie that had long eluded him.

Amid laughter, shared stories, and the clinking of glasses, Simon found himself relaxing for the first time in years. The warmth of friendship melted the frost that had encased his heart, and he realized that perhaps the holidays weren’t the enemy he had perceived them to be.

The church choir made their rounds, serenading the neighborhood with heartfelt carols. Simon, initially resistant, hummed along, the melodies unlocking dormant memories of Christmases long past.

Jane, observing the transformation in her once-grumpy neighbor, beamed with satisfaction. She had accomplished her mission—to thaw the frozen recesses of Simon’s soul and reintroduce him to the joys of the season.

As the night unfolded, the historic snowstorm continued its relentless dance outside, oblivious to the profound shift happening within the walls of a small home on Cedar Lane.

Simon, who had planned to escape the holidays, discovered an unexpected refuge in the warmth of community and the spirit of Christmas.

The next morning, as the sun timidly peeked through the snow-laden clouds, Simon stepped outside with a newfound lightness in his step.

The snow, once a symbol of his holiday disdain, now glistened like a pristine canvas, waiting to be transformed into a winter wonderland of shared memories.

December 05, 2023 14:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trudy Jas
01:30 Dec 14, 2023

Dita, allow me to return the favor. You wrote a sweet story. I admit I'm more like Simon, though it is because I have very few childhood memories of Christmas, and even fewer of baubles and tinsel, But the gathering of neighbors and friends sounds good, any time of year. I was wondering though, how come Simon was the only one to survive the accident that took his family. (one of those mind reading things, right?) :-)

Reply

Dita Dow
14:35 Dec 14, 2023

Thank you, Trudy. I appreciate that. I'm sure that is a question Simon asks himself every day. It is one of those things that happens to us and we never know why.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.