Echoes of the Stormy Dawn

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about someone finding acceptance.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind howled through the palm trees like a restless spirit, sending shivers down the spines of anyone brave enough to be outside. Rain lashed against the windows of an old, creaky house perched on the edge of a cliff, its foundation seemingly fighting a losing battle against the relentless elements. Inside, seventeen-year-old Jasmine sat curled up on the threadbare couch, a thick woolen blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She stared at the flickering candle on the coffee table, its flame dancing wildly with every gust of wind that found its way through the cracks in the walls.

Jasmine had always found solace in the storm. Something about nature's raw power resonated with her, mirroring the turbulence she often felt inside. Tonight, however, the storm brought an unusual sense of foreboding. She glanced at the clock on the mantelpiece; it was well past midnight. Her parents were away for the weekend, leaving her alone. She wasn’t afraid of being alone, but tonight felt different.

The sound of a distant thunderclap made her jump, her heart pounding. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. "It's just a storm," she muttered under her breath. "Nothing to be afraid of."

But as she said the words, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. The air seemed thick with tension as if the storm itself was trying to warn her of something. She stood up and walked to the window, peering out into the darkness. The rain was falling so heavily that she could barely see the palm trees at the edge of the yard.

Suddenly, a flash of lightning illuminated the scene, and for a brief moment, she saw a figure standing just beyond the tree line. It was tall and motionless, shrouded in shadows. Jasmine's breath caught in her throat, and she stumbled back from the window, her mind racing. Who could possibly be out there in this weather?

She grabbed her phone from the coffee table and dialed her best friend, Marcus. After a few rings, he picked up, sounding groggy. "Jasmine? What's up? It's late."

"Marcus, there's someone outside," she whispered, her voice trembling. "I saw them just now, by the trees."

Marcus was silent for a moment, then his tone changed, becoming more alert. "Are you sure? Maybe it was just a trick of the light."

"I'm sure," Jasmine insisted. "I saw them."

"Okay, stay inside and keep the doors locked. I'm coming over."

Jasmine felt a surge of relief. "Thanks, Marcus. Hurry."

She hung up and quickly checked the locks on all the doors and windows. The house, though old and creaky, was sturdy. She hoped it would be enough to keep whoever was outside at bay. She returned to the living room and sat on the couch, her eyes darting around the room as she tried to steady her breathing.

Minutes felt like hours as she waited for Marcus. The storm showed no signs of letting up, and the wind continued to howl, making the house groan in protest. Jasmine kept glancing at the window, half-expecting to see the figure again, but the darkness revealed nothing.

Finally, she heard a knock at the door, and she practically leaped off the couch. She ran to the door and peered through the peephole. It was Marcus, looking very much real despite being soaked from the rain. She unlocked the door and pulled him inside.

"Thank you for coming," she said, closing the door behind him.

"No problem," Marcus replied, shaking water from his hair. "Where did you see this person?"

Jasmine led him to the window and pointed. "Over there, by the trees. I saw them for just a second when the lightning flashed."

Marcus peered into the darkness, squinting as if trying to make out any shapes. "I don't see anything now," he said, turning to her. "But that doesn't mean you're wrong. Let's stay vigilant."

They sat together on the couch, the candle's flame casting long shadows on the walls. The storm raged on outside, but inside, with Marcus beside her, Jasmine felt a bit safer. They talked in low voices, trying to distract themselves from the anxiety gnawing at them.

"Remember that time we got caught in the rain during our hike up to the falls?" Marcus said with a small smile.

Jasmine laughed softly, the memory a welcome distraction. "Yeah, we were soaked to the bone, and you insisted on making a fire anyway."

"Hey, we needed to dry off somehow," Marcus replied, grinning. "Besides, it worked, didn't it?"

Their laughter faded into silence, and the uneasy feeling crept back in. Jasmine glanced at the window again, her mind replaying the image of the figure standing in the rain. She couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched.

The minutes dragged on. Jasmine and Marcus stayed alert, listening to the wind howl and the rain patter against the windows. Every creak and groan of the old house made Jasmine’s heart race. She could feel Marcus’s tension beside her, a reminder that she wasn’t imagining things.

Hours passed, and eventually, the storm began to subside. The wind died down, and the rain became a gentle patter against the windows. Marcus had fallen asleep on the couch, but Jasmine remained awake, her senses on high alert. She was just beginning to relax when she heard a noise outside the front door.

Her heart skipped a beat. She carefully stood up, trying not to wake Marcus, and crept toward the door. The sound was faint but unmistakable: someone was trying to open the door. Her mind raced with fear and confusion. Who could it be? Why were they here?

Gathering her courage, she called out, "Who's there?"

For a moment, there was only silence. Then, a voice replied, low and rough, "Let me in."

Jasmine's blood ran cold. She didn't recognize the voice, and it sounded menacing. "No," she said firmly, trying to keep her voice steady. "Go away."

The door rattled as the person on the other side tried to force it open. Panic surged through Jasmine, and she ran back to the living room, shaking Marcus awake. "Marcus, someone's at the door. They're trying to get in."

Marcus was instantly alert, his eyes wide. "What? Did you see who it was?"

"No, but they don't sound friendly."

Marcus stood up and grabbed a heavy candlestick from the mantle. "Stay behind me," he said, moving toward the door.

The rattling continued, more desperate now. Marcus called out, "Whoever you are, you'd better leave. We're armed."

The noise stopped abruptly, and for a moment, there was silence. Then, the voice spoke again, this time with a hint of desperation. "Please, I need help. I'm hurt."

Jasmine and Marcus exchanged glances. The voice had changed, sounding less menacing and more pleading. Marcus hesitated, then said, "We need to see who it is. But be careful."

He slowly unlocked the door and opened it just a crack. Outside stood a young man, soaked to the skin and shivering. He looked to be about their age, with dark hair plastered to his forehead and a pained expression on his face.

"Please," the stranger said, holding out a hand. "I don't mean any harm. I got lost in the storm and fell. I think I twisted my ankle."

Jasmine's instincts screamed to be cautious, but the sight of the young man, clearly in distress, tugged at her heart. "Marcus, let him in," she said softly.

Marcus opened the door wider, and the stranger limped inside, dripping water onto the floor. "Thank you," he said, his voice shaking. "I'm Ethan."

"I'm Jasmine, and this is Marcus," Jasmine replied. "Let's get you warmed up."

They helped Ethan to the couch and wrapped him in a blanket. As he sat there, shivering, he explained how he'd been hiking in the area when the storm hit. He'd lost his way and ended up wandering for hours before he saw the light from their window.

"Thank you for letting me in," Ethan said, his eyes filled with gratitude. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't."

Jasmine nodded, feeling a mix of relief and lingering unease. "It's okay. Just rest now. We'll figure everything out in the morning."

As the first light of dawn began to break through the clouds, the storm finally passed. The house was still and quiet, the sense of foreboding lifting with the retreating darkness. But Jasmine knew that the events of the night would stay with her for a long time, a reminder of how quickly the familiar can become strange and how, even in the darkest times, compassion and courage can shine through.

Weeks later, Jasmine walked through the village, the memory of that stormy night still fresh in her mind. People greeted her with smiles and nods, a far cry from the wary glances she used to receive. She had always felt like an outsider, but everything changed when the storm came. During the chaos, a landslide threatened to bury the village. Jasmine had been the first to notice the warning signs, rushing from house to house, waking people up, and urging them to evacuate to higher ground. Her quick thinking had saved lives, and the villagers had not forgotten.

"Jasmine!" called Mrs. Patel from her shop. "How are you, dear?"

"I'm good, thanks," Jasmine replied, smiling warmly. "How's everything?"

"Better, thanks to you," Mrs. Patel said, her eyes filled with gratitude. "If it weren't for you, who knows what would have happened that night."

Jasmine nodded, the praise still feeling surreal. She continued down the path, her thoughts drifting to Ethan. He had stayed in the village for a few days to recover, and they had become friends. His gratitude had been genuine, and he had promised to return one day.

As she walked, Marcus joined her, falling into step beside her. "Thinking about that night again?" he asked.

"Yeah," Jasmine admitted. "It's hard to forget."

Marcus nodded. "You did good, Jasmine. The village is safer because of you. And you've finally found acceptance."

Jasmine smiled, a sense of peace settling over her. She had always sought acceptance, and now she had found it, not just from the villagers but also from herself. The storm had tested her in ways she never imagined, but it had also shown her the strength she possessed.

Later that evening, the village gathered for a small ceremony to honor Jasmine. The community center was decorated with lanterns and flowers, and the villagers shared stories of that fateful night, praising Jasmine’s bravery. As she stood in front of her friends and neighbors, Jasmine felt a deep sense of belonging she had never experienced before.

The village elder, Mr. Thompson, stepped forward and handed Jasmine a small medal. “This is a token of our gratitude, Jasmine,” he said, his voice filled with emotion. “You saved our lives and our homes. We will never forget what you did for us.”

Tears welled up in Jasmine’s eyes as she accepted the medal. “Thank you,” she said, her voice trembling. “I just did what I thought was right. I’m so grateful to be part of this community.”

The crowd erupted in applause, and Jasmine felt Marcus’s hand on her shoulder, a silent reminder that she was never alone. As the celebration continued, Jasmine looked around at the smiling faces and knew that she had finally found her place in the world.

And so, as the sun set over the Caribbean horizon, Jasmine knew that no matter how dark and stormy the night, the dawn always brought a new beginning.

June 21, 2024 00:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Helen Sanders
21:06 Jun 25, 2024

First of all, absolutely Love your title. Draws a reader in... A nice ending so unexpected. For a moment, I thought something sinister was going to happen...even caused by her friend. Then I thought...that perhaps she was more accepted because they were celebrating that she had 'died' saving the village. Thank you for your story.

Reply

Jonathan Chen
21:32 Jun 25, 2024

I am so glad you liked the unexpected ending... i was not even expecting that ending when i wrote the story. I had an alternate ending planned, but i went this route at the last minute. thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.