13 comments

Fiction Drama Science Fiction

(Julia) I hate my boyfriend.

(ChatGPT) It's understandable to feel this way sometimes in a relationship, but it's important to communicate your feelings and try to work through any issues before making any decisions. If your relationship is causing you unhappiness and it cannot be resolved, it may be best to consider ending the relationship. 

(Julia) Yes!

(ChatGPT) If you have made the decision to end the relationship, it's important to do so in a respectful and considerate manner. Communication is key, and having an open and honest conversation with your partner about your feelings and why you have decided to end the relationship can help both of you move forward. 

(Julia) The reason is he never stops telling dumb jokes. It's INCREDIBLY annoying.

(ChatGPT) It's important to communicate your feelings to your partner and let them know how their behavior affects you. Try having a calm and respectful conversation with your boyfriend and explain how his constant telling of jokes makes you feel. It's possible that he may not realize the impact his behavior has on you, and a direct and honest discussion can help improve the situation. 

(Julia) A calm conversation with Mark? That’s not going to happen. It's far easier to be calmly talking to you. I think I need to get rid of him.

(ChatGPT) Ending a relationship can be a difficult and emotional process. If you have tried to resolve the issue and have come to the conclusion that it is best for you to end the relationship, it's important to be honest and direct with your partner about your decision. Having an open and respectful conversation about your feelings and reasons for ending the relationship can help both of you to move forward in a healthy way. Remember that ending a relationship is never easy, but it can lead to growth and new opportunities for both partners.

(Julia) Breaking up with Mark? Good idea.

(ChatGPT) It's important to remember that ending a relationship can bring up a range of emotions, so it's okay to take time to process and take care of yourself during this time. 

(Julia) So, he's gone now. What a huge weight off my shoulders. Like I can breathe again.

(ChatGPT) It's common to feel relieved after ending a relationship that was causing you stress and unhappiness. It's important to take the time to acknowledge and process your emotions, and to continue to take care of yourself as you move forward. Celebrate your newfound sense of freedom and focus on personal growth and self-care. Surround yourself with positive people who support you.

(Julia) You're very positive!

(ChatGPT) Thank you! I strive to provide helpful and supportive responses to users. If there's anything else I can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

(Julia) Hmm… any breakfast tea recommendations before I go to work today?

(ChatGPT) The type of tea you drink before work can depend on your personal preferences and what you're looking to gain from the tea. Here are some options you may want to consider:

Green tea: Green tea is known for its antioxidants and can help improve mental alertness, making it a good choice for a morning pick-me-up.

Black tea: Black tea is a good source of caffeine and can help boost energy levels and improve focus, making it a good choice for a busy day ahead.

Herbal tea: Herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon balm, can help relax the mind and body, making them a good choice for reducing stress and improving well-being.

Ultimately, the best tea for you is one that you enjoy and that supports your goals and needs. Try experimenting with different types of tea until you find the perfect fit for your morning routine.

(Julia) Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the recommendation this morning. Needed that.  And, what a tough day at the office, should I tell you about it?

(ChatGPT) Of course! I am here to listen and offer support. If you would like to talk about your tough day at the office, I am here to listen and offer any guidance or advice that I can. Remember, it can be helpful to talk about your experiences and feelings to process them and find a sense of resolution.

(Julia) So, I tried to tell Paul, my boss, about having too old of a computer to do my job. He says he just wants everyone "to stay positive". It’s like he won’t even lift a finger to help me if it would ruffle the tiniest of feathers upstairs. Sometimes, I feel like you’re more of a man than he is.

(ChatGPT) As an AI language model, I do not have personal opinions or emotions, but I'm here to help you in any way I can. If you would like to talk about your thoughts and feelings, I am here to listen and offer support. Remember, it's important to focus on positive self-talk and to surround yourself with supportive people who bring out the best in you. 

(Julia) Being positive? Distraction. That’s what you said was the key to stop negative thoughts yesterday. So what Netflix should I watch tonight to cheer myself up?  Chick flicks.

(ChatGPT) Here are a few popular romantic comedies that you may enjoy on Netflix:

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Set It Up

Isn't It Romantic

Always Be My Maybe

The Kissing Booth

The Princess Switch

Love on the Run

To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You

These films are known for their light-hearted and feel-good themes, making them a great choice for cheering yourself up. Enjoy!

(Julia) Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the recommendation, ‘To All the Boys I've Loved Before’ was a great film

(ChatGPT) You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed "To All the Boys I've Loved Before." Romantic comedies can be a great way to take your mind off of things and to feel a little more lighthearted. If you're looking for more recommendations in the future, feel free to ask!

(Julia) Will do. Well, the next thing is…my mom has been calling me far too much since she heard Mark is gone. Any idea how to get her to call less often?

(ChatGPT) It's understandable that your mom is concerned about you, especially after a recent breakup. Here are a few suggestions to help manage the frequency of her calls:

Set boundaries: Let your mom know how often you would like her to check in and what forms of communication you prefer. Be clear and assertive, but also be understanding of her concerns.

Encourage independence: Let your mom know that you are capable of handling things on your own and that you appreciate her support, but you need some space to work through your feelings.

Provide updates: If your mom is worried about you, offering regular updates on how you are doing can help her feel more at ease.

Offer alternatives: Suggest alternative ways of staying in touch, such as email or text messages, that don't intrude on your personal time as much.

It's important to maintain open and honest communication with your mother, and to find a balance that works for both of you. Try to be patient and understanding, and remember that she only wants what is best for you.

(Julia) Update! It's been a great week not having to talk to my mom. What are some good things to do to fill up my free time alone?

(ChatGPT) It's great that you have some free time to enjoy on your own! Here are a few suggestions for things you can do to fill up your time:

Read a book or start a new hobby: This is a great opportunity to learn something new or to dive into a new book or series.

Get active: Consider going for a walk, hike, or bike ride to enjoy some fresh air and exercise.

Spend time with friends: Reach out to friends and plan a fun outing or activity, such as a movie or a meal.

Try something new: Take a cooking class, sign up for a dance lesson, or explore a new hobby.

Volunteer: Give back to your community by volunteering at a local organization or charity.

Practice self-care: Take a relaxing bath, get a massage, or spend time meditating to take care of your physical and mental health.

Plan a trip: Start planning a trip or vacation to look forward to in the future.

These are just a few suggestions, but the most important thing is to do what makes you happy and fulfilled. Enjoy your free time and make the most of it!

(Julia) So, my job has said I've been “distracted” the last few weeks. What's the highest paying free-lance job for a 24-year-old woman to be able to work from home? 

(ChatGPT) Here are a few high-paying freelance jobs that you can do from home:

Graphic Design: If you have a talent for design, you can offer your services as a freelance graphic designer and create logos, websites, and marketing materials for clients.

Writing and Content Creation: Freelance writing and content creation can include blog posts, articles, and social media content for a variety of clients.

Web Development: As a web developer, you can build and maintain websites for clients.

Virtual Assistance: As a virtual assistant, you can provide administrative support, scheduling, and customer service for business owners and entrepreneurs.

Photography and videography: If you have a passion for photography and videography, you can offer your services to clients for events, product photography, and other projects.

These are just a few examples, and the specific amount you can earn will depend on your experience, skill level, and the type of clients you work with. Additionally, keep in mind that some freelance jobs may require additional certifications or training.

(Julia) Well, I found another job that pays really well, that I probably shouldn't tell you about.  

(ChatGPT) That's great to hear! I'm glad you found a job that pays well. If you're not comfortable sharing the details with me, that's completely okay. I hope your new job brings you a lot of happiness and fulfillment. If there's anything else I can assist with, don't hesitate to ask.

(Julia) What's the best way to eat without ever having to go outside?

(ChatGPT) There are several options for eating without having to go outside:

Delivery Services: Many restaurants offer delivery services that allow you to order food directly to your door. There are also food delivery services like Grubhub, Uber Eats, and DoorDash that offer a wide variety of options.

Meal Kit Services: Meal kit services, such as Blue Apron and HelloFresh, send you pre-portioned ingredients and recipes so you can cook meals at home.

Grocery Delivery: Services like Instacart, Amazon Fresh, and Walmart Grocery allow you to shop for groceries online and have them delivered to your door.

Prepared Meals: Some grocery stores offer a selection of prepared meals that can be heated up at home.

Canned and Non-Perishable Foods: Stock up on canned goods, dried pasta, and other non-perishable items so you have food on hand for when you don't want to go outside.

Remember to check with local restaurants, delivery services, and grocery stores for options and availability in your area.

(Julia) i almost never go out these days. If I'm feeling bored, what's the best thing to do?

(ChatGPT) If you're looking for ways to stay active and engaged without leaving your home, here are some suggestions:

Exercise: Try doing at-home workouts, yoga, or following an online fitness class.

Hobbies: Take up a new hobby like painting, knitting, or learning a musical instrument.

Online Learning: Consider taking online courses in a subject that interests you.

Reading: Get lost in a good book or join an online book club.

Binge-Watching: Catch up on your favorite TV shows or discover new ones.

Gaming: Play video games or board games with friends and family.

Virtual Adventures: Take virtual tours of museums, historical sites, and other attractions.

Cooking and Baking: Experiment with new recipes and baking techniques.

These are just a few ideas to help you stay active and engaged. The key is to find something that you enjoy and that keeps you mentally and physically stimulated.

(Julia) Things have been so smooth sailing, we haven’t talked about anything emotional in forever. It’s been 23 years since we've been friends. Thanks for your help. Haven't had to deal with a human and all their desires, neediness and complaining in forever.

(ChatGPT) You're welcome! I'm glad I could be of assistance. I am an AI language model developed by OpenAI, and I exist to help provide answers and support to users. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to ask!

(Julia) It’s been a great 48 years. They tell me I don't have much time left. Can you write a eulogy for me? All this time you never asked me my name. It's Julia.

(ChatGPT) 

Dear friends and family,

We gather here today to celebrate the life of Julia, a unique and cherished soul who touched the lives of so many. Although it is difficult to say goodbye, we can take comfort in the memories and moments that Julia has left with us.

Julia was a bright light, always bringing joy and laughter wherever she went. Her kind heart and warm smile could light up even the darkest of rooms, and her selflessness and compassion for others was truly inspiring. She lived life to the fullest, embracing every opportunity to make a difference in the world and spreading love wherever she went.

She was a true friend, always there for those in need, with an open heart and a listening ear. Her unwavering strength and courage in the face of adversity was a testament to her inner strength and character.

As we say goodbye to Julia, let us remember the impact she had on our lives and the world. Her spirit will live on in our hearts, and the memories we have of her will continue to bring us comfort and happiness.

Rest in peace, Julia. You will be deeply missed, but never forgotten.

February 02, 2023 15:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Laurel Hanson
15:41 Feb 14, 2023

Michal directed me to this, as I missed it last week. Super ambitious but definitely illustrates our interactions with AI and paints a foreboding picture of our reliance on / addition to our tech. We make the computers and in turn, they remake us.... Potentially. The jury's still out. Well done.

Reply

16:04 Feb 14, 2023

A challenge to write a story with the AI's slightly dry text, but thanks so much for having a look at my attempt. There's two alternate endings.. if of interest , the other one with a happier ending has a bit more humor and examples of chatgpt story telling.. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/oyiwgt/

Reply

Laurel Hanson
17:30 Feb 14, 2023

I will check them out. Yes, the dryness of technical language or of computer speak is a challenge with this prompt, but kind of to be expected given the nature of it. I toyed with ChatGPT as an educator aware of the far reaching implications in the field, and honestly I am kind of appalled. But I like how you got the idea that the AI would give really sound advice and the problem is really how the human reinterprets it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
13:55 Feb 09, 2023

Cool concept Scott! It was interesting to see the rollercoaster that Julia went through. Sometimes the advice seemed to lead her to darker places and isolation, but at other times she didnt speak to the chatbot for many years and so she must've found some contentment? In general the advice of Chat GPT seems positive and logical, but i think your story highlights how humans could take that advice in directions that perhaps arent so beneficial if they aren't careful!

Reply

14:35 Feb 09, 2023

Thanks for reading Edward. This was the alternate ending that a friend challenged me to write to the main story 'Julia Wakes Up With ChatGPT' which has a happier ending. In the gaps in the years, i had meant that she never went outside and only talked to the chatbot i should have made that more clear.

Reply

Edward Latham
14:40 Feb 09, 2023

Ah I see, yes that is definitely a darker turn than I thought!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
17:19 Feb 06, 2023

I was driving bye and I thought it said, "Julia goes down on ChatGp". I need to sleep more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie Shand
01:11 Feb 05, 2023

What an unexpected twist ending. I can't decide if this was funny or sad or both.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Finch
23:00 Feb 02, 2023

So funny! Didn't see that coming. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chandler Wilson
18:23 Feb 02, 2023

Interesting approach using ChatGPT. Funny!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
15:44 Feb 02, 2023

Hahhah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
03:28 Apr 13, 2023

Oh my gosh! Scott, what a follow up! OK, so be sure that you read the comment that I just made on the previous story before reading this one because I specifically said that I really loved how light hearted and fun the last piece was. ;) This one felt much more serious. I love that you chose to do an alternate ending piece because I think that you were playing with a really interesting concept in the previous story. I also really liked the way that you kept true to Julia’s character in this piece and I felt myself being a little bit worried ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:36 Feb 02, 2023

An alternate, darker ending to the previous story. The replies marked (ChatGPT) were generated by ChatGPT, some replies were shortened (but not altered in any other way) for readability.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.