The Renegade Alien Princess

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in space. ... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction

“How long until we reach our next planet?” a woman dressed in a red suit asked her crew who were toiling away at their computers. Outside the cockpit windows, stars and asteroids floated in the empty space air.

“We will arrive very shortly Captain,” a man dressed in a blue suit, the woman’s second in command, answered at once.

“We should dock in less than half a day.”

“Brilliant,” the captain grinned, her green eyes sparkling in excitement.

“What atmosphere are we walking into?”

“We’ll be able to breathe in the atmosphere,” one of the crew at one of the computers said who was dressed in a yellow suit.

“However, there are larger amounts of nitrogen along with oxygen. I predict that we will be facing a lot of lightning storms.”

“Alright,” the captain breathed out as she thought about what to do once they landed.

“Anything else I should know about the planet?”

“Nothing to report so far Captain.”

“As you were then.”

The captain sighed to herself as she ran a hand through her apple red locks that were in a natural loose ringlet bob to the bottom of her chin.

“Would you like to retire to your quarters while I watch the cockpit?” the captain’s second in command when he saw how tired his captain was.

“I’ll be fine Sky,” the captain assured him. “We don’t have long until we reach our destination and I want to be prepared when we land.”

Sky dipped his head which caused his shoulder length black hair to fall more down his chest before rising back up to rest on his shoulders. While the ship traveled further on their path, the captain was actively talking with her crew about how they should modify their spacesuits to match the environment they would be stepping into. She also made lists about what things the crew was going to take with them when they finally did venture to the planet’s surface. Sky was right behind his captain with helping her put everything together that was needed. Before long, the large slightly gold planet game into view with white covering bits of the planet much like the Earth. When the planet came into sight, the captain gathered a couple of crew members dressed in the yellow spacesuits while the rest of the group were made up of crew members dressed in simple black spacesuits.

“We don’t know what we will be facing out there,” the captain called out to the members of her little excursion group.

“So I want everyone on their guard. However, we don’t want to piss of anything on this planet. Only use violence as a last resort.”

A resounding “Yes, Captain” met her ears that had her grinning so hard it almost looked like a smirk.

“We also want to keep our helmets activated until we are sure that we can breathe down there.”

With that said, all of the group tapped at the data face on the right forearm of their suits that had helmets that resembled motorcycle helmets rose that matched the color of their own individual suit colors. Satisfied with her groups readiness, the captain pressed the button beside her that would open the hatch that led to the outside. When the team touched down on the actual ground of the planet, they were greeted by a wondrous landscape. The grass was a lovely lilac color that looked as soft as a pillow with several trees that were various shades of purple and pink. Above them the sky was a more golden yellow with white clouds floating in the sky. What was the most interesting was the large purple and pink suns that blazed in the sky. One of the crew dressed in a yellow suit tapped away at their data face to measure the air around them.

“We can breathe normally Captain,” they told her. “However, the temperature here is warmer than on Earth. We might have to adjust our internal temperature regulators.”

“Do as he says,” the captain ordered while she tapped away at her data face. Once the team was done with modification, the captain let her helmet fall away so that her face was free to look at the world unhindered.

“It seems like we also have a lowered force of gravity for us,” another crew member in yellow piped up.

“Possible results in increased speed, strength, and agility.”

“That should make skirting danger easier,” the captain remarked. “Alright crew, let’s move out.”

Each of the members of the group put their hands over their hips where a gun lay in wait. The captain and Sky on the other hand did not reach for a weapon. They were content to walk forward without one. 

As the group walked through the grassland that slowly morphed into forest, they came across many strange creatures. A lot of the creatures resemble animals from Earth with albeit with a twist. They were all a rainbow of color as they moved through the shrubbery. Creatures that looked like jackalopes appeared white at first but with each movement, their fur gave an iridescent shimmer. One could almost liken the color to halo back on Earth.

“Aww,” one of the crew in black with blonde hair in a pixie bob style.

“Aren’t those bunnies adorable.”

“Maia,” the captain called back to the bubbly blonde. “We’re here on a reconnaissance mission to find possible civilizations. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“Yes, Captain,” Maia pouted. One of her fellow soldiers in black elbowed her that had her smiling again even if her posture set back into being on alert. The group continued on their exploration.

“Everything seems so quiet,” Sky told his captain while his eyes scanned their surroundings.

“Too quiet,” the captain agreed with narrowed eyes. Just as they uttered the words, they could hear the sounds of a fight further up ahead. The captain's arm shot out to stop her group from advancing forward. The group took the hint to keep quiet while she strained her ears to hear what was going on. Given that her human senses weren’t the best, she activated her helmet again to which the rest followed suit.

“We’re going further ahead to investigate,” the captain told her group. “We’ll continue forward with stealth mode to see what is going on. I’ll decide the course of action when we see what is going on.”

“Yes, Captain.”

The group quickly activated the cloaking device in their suits so that they disappeared into the background. Swiftly yet quietly, the group advanced as one towards a clearing where the sounds of a fight was coming from. When they reached the treeline, they could see that a group of maybe fifteen of what looked to be soldiers were attacking a lone woman who was trying to protect herself. While the group of Earthlings were watching the fight in wait for their captain’s orders, the captain was watching the fight entranced by the purple skinned woman who seemed to be holding her own against the soldiers. The way the willowy woman was dancing around the soldiers made the captain think of ballet dancers back on Earth. The purple woman looked like she was used to battle the way that she moved between dodging hits and dealing them back with a staff she held tight in her grasp.

“What should we do Captain?” one of her crew asked over the comms in their helmets.

“We’ll hold for now,” the captain replied. “We don’t want to interfere in any of the politics of this world.”

Her drew seemed content with that and settled to watch the outcome of the fight.

“Are you taking notes Hamal,” the captain voiced towards a man with cropped dark brown hair and brown eyes.

“Yes, Captain.”

“Good. Make sure to send your notes to me when we return to the ship.”

“Yes, Captain.”

The tide of the fight was quick to shift against the purple woman when she was stabbed through with one of the offending soldiers’ sword. In the time it took for the captain to realize that the golden liquid that poured from the woman was blood, her body propelled her forward to protect the injured woman. Rather than take off her cloaking device, she kicked the soldier away from the purple woman. Said soldier went flying a good ten meters away in a spiral of movement. The captain didn’t even give the rest of the soldiers a chance to regain their bearings before she was tossing them about the clearing. When she was sure that the soldiers were taken care of, the captain scooped up the purple woman then ran back towards her crew. Once she was safe in the treeline, the captain lifted her cloaking mechanism so that the purple woman could see her.

“Sky, take everyone back to the ship,” the captain spoke through the comms as she continued running through the forest.

“I will come back when I have taken the woman to safety.”

“Who are you?” the purple woman ground out after noticing the strange language that the red clad woman spoke.

“I am Captain Alya of the Starstreak, Squadron 096,” Captain Alya told her.

“I saw that you were in need of assistance so I lent my aid.”

“To the trees,” the purple woman hissed. Captain Alya wanted so badly to question why she needed to get to the trees, but she chose to trust the woman she saved. With a coiling of her legs, Captain Alya leapt up off the ground to land among the tallest branches of trees. Captain Alya barely had time to register the shock of jumping so high into the air when a touch of the bark of the tree from the purple woman transported the two to another tree just outside a little camp.

“Take me to...Do’talla,” the purple woman said. Captain Alya dropped down from her place amongst the treetops. With her mission firmly in mind, Captain Alya ran through the small camp calling out for the mentioned Do’talla. Her search led her to a small shack like structure where a blue man stood with his arms folded and his amber eyes narrowed in suspicion. He made to angrily yell at the red clad human, but a few clipped words from the injured purple woman shut him up really quick.

“Get inside human,” the man spat in a heavy accent while holding open the cloth that covered the doorway. Captain Alya had expected some sort of hostility seeing as though the race knew English as a second language so she brushed off the hostility and entered the shack to lay the purple woman down on a cot.

“You can wait outside human,” the man who had to be Do’talla told the captain.

“I...want her here,” the purple woman said. “She saved my life and I owe her.”

“Think nothing of it,” Captain Alya dismissed. “I just couldn’t leave you to get slaughtered.”

“Like Princess Na’aren could be killed by-,”

“Do’talla, enough,” Princess Na’aren ordered.

He mumbled in their native language before he picked up different herbs and a bowl of water to tend to Princess Na’aren’s wounds. Captain Alya, on the other hand, was confused about what was going on.

“If you are the princess,” she began slowly. “Why are soldiers trying to kill you?”

“It seems that a particular group of nobles don’t like my family being in power,” Princess Na’aren admitted while staring up at the ceiling.

“They have managed to take the rest of my family prisoner, but I managed to escape.”

“How long has this been going on?” Captain Alya questioned.

“Five moon rotations.”

“What do you plan to do next?”

“Rescue my family and take back my kingdom.”

Captain Alya went silent as she processed what was being said. While it wasn’t part of her mission to help the princess fight to take back her home, maybe she could come to an agreement with her. Maybe she could secure an alliance between Earth and this planet which would no doubt please her superiors.

“I would like to help you take back your country,” Captain Alya told Princess Na’aren with determined gleam in her eyes.

“What would you like in return?” Princess Na’aren asked as she closed her eyes against the pain in her side a green light then glowed at the princess’s side under where Do’talla’s hands. Captain Alya’s eyes widened at the sight, but she was quick to gather herself.

“I would like for this planet to become an ally to the Earth.”

“What does your Earth have to benefit Laskaris?”

“I do not know,” Captain Alya said slowly while she took down her helmet to reveal her face.

“I am not sure what this planet has or what it lacks.”

“Maybe we can come to some sort of agreement,” Princess Na’aren smirked, appreciating the captain’s red hair and green eyes. Captain Alya in turn smirked right back.

“Maybe.”

Unbeknownst to the two women, this would spark a friendship that would last for years to come.



September 23, 2019 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.