0 comments

High School Happy

-It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat!

-How can it not count, I’ve tried so har! I’ve wanted to do that my whole life, my whole life I wanted to be a writer, and I’ve been in this city for three months and it didn’t get me anywhere. I have to leave!

-How can you say that, you’re talented, you have to work and try harder, you’ll be published

-I don’t see anyone but you believing in me really! And that’s because you’re my boyfriend

-No, it’s not because of that! It’s because I know you’re talented. Your writings speak to the soul, everyone would recognize themselves reading what you write. You’re gifted, please try harder don’t ditch that. Three months is not that long in New York, I’m sure someone would be very interested in what you write, and in the meantime, you continue developing your blog and you’ll see eventually, you’ll get what you always have dreamed of.

-Easy to say, when you already have that!

-You’ll have it too baby, I promise!

-Okay, I have to get ready; I have a writing class in an hour.

-Progress!

Even though, I was determined to be a writer in this big city, I was very intimidated by those people in my class. This is my first time taking this kind of classes and I felt like a fish outside the water, it doesn’t only takes to be skilled in the way you write; But there are techniques and a lot of random things that I barely could keep up with, but what the hell, every day after class, I would take my notes, go home and study all over again.

-So what do you think?

-I really like the changes you made.

-Yeah? I asked, I was thinking of giving the story to my teacher, maybe she can help me to rewrite you know?

-That’s a great idea, yeah definitively do that!

A few weeks later

-Excuse me Mrs. Collins, can I talk to you for a second?

-Yes sure, what is it Emma?

-I have this book that I’ve been working on for a year now, and with your class, I started to change it a little because I wasn’t very happy of the way it was first. And I was wondering if you could take a look at it and give me come advice maybe?

-Yes, sure! I’ll tell you when I’m done, and we could set a meeting to talk about it.

-Ok, here’s a copy! Thank you!

-So you gave her your book?

-Yeah, but I don’t think she’s going to read it, she was just trying to be nice.

-I don’t see why she won’t read it

-Really? Maybe, anyway, tomorrow I have an interview with this famous magazine “NY Fashion”.

-You really want to write about fashion?

-I mean no, but it’s a start!

Going to this interview, I was confident enough, that they proposed the job right after the interview, but little did I know, being a chief editor’s assistant didn’t consist of writing stuff, it just meant that I would be running errands for her, and excluded from every creative writing she might do.

-I really didn’t imagine doing that, ever! I said to my colleague

-Yeah, you thought with this job you would write articles, and Anna would notice your work, and you’d be a famous writer after all.

-Yeah, that was pretty much what I had in mind

-Well, if you want that, I suggest you quit, it’s been four years since I’m her assistant now.

I was so shocked by what she said, that I couldn’t sleep that night, I kept overthinking it and for me it was a dead end, I was so unhappy with my life that I wanted to quit everything, I mean what’s the point of staying in New York, when I do a job that I hate and don’t even have the time to write anything anymore. I was trapped into this non ending loop that I had to break at one point.

-Good morning baby!

-Good morning! You’re not going to work?

-No, I took the day off; I have some meetings with publishers and interviews for some freelance journalism jobs.

-That’s awesome! So you’re going to quit?

-Yes, I have to think about my dream and restart writing again, and set objectives, you know, I’m so unhappy with this job… and …

-I think it’s a great idea!

-Yeah?

-Of course, we didn’t come here for you to do a job that you hate and stop following your dreams. You can have a part time job; you know work from home so you can find the time to rewrite your book and focus on your blog.

I was so happy of all the support I got, that was sufficient enough to get me going.

Little did I know that a few days later, all of this struggle would come to an end at the most unexpected time.

Meetings with publishers were the worst, let me tell you, I’ve never been that rejected or criticized in my entire life, some of them told me that my novel wasn’t that good or that it wouldn’t sell that much. I mean, I wasn’t expecting to be published with my very first novel, but I wanted at least a little help to make it happen, but I think they weren’t that interested in me or my story, and that’s fine because I will keep searching until I’ll find someone who will.

Later that night my phone was ringing..

-Hello?

-Hello Emma , it’s Mrs. Collins from the writing club.

-Oh hi, how are you? I really don’t like that new professor that much, so I had to change the club.

-Oh really! I’m doing fine, I just wanted to talk to you about your book.

-Okay, what about it?

-We have to meet up in order to talk about it. I have a friend who is a published and is really interested by the idea of your book, but you have to maybe rewrite some parts?

-Oh my god, yes, yes I’d love to meet you and your friend tomorrow to talk about it.

-Okay then I’ll text you the address!

November 05, 2020 19:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.