0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Western

There are many kinds of factories managed by big companies. Managers are at hand to keep watch on the production of products and see to it that workers meet production goals. Who are the people inside the company responsible to set production goals? Who are going to produce the products? How will they be able to meet the product standards, how much to be produce? Here is a factory worker who has worked in three different companies wherein he didn't get any promotion at all but collaborated with the high company officials. Macario applied the job at an employment agency and he was trained by a longtime worker supervised by the supervisor. To do his job he has to paint firelogs made of a mixture of cement that is hardened after it is placed inside the oven. These firelogs are composed of different designs to complete a decorative set to be put inside the fireplace and they glow when it is lighted like real burning wood. With different colorful paints Macario's work was noticed by the president of the company ordering Macario to tell him if he has any problem working on this firelogs. Not only that he gave him a clue that nobody can intimidate him at work, that means the president wants him as a worker in his company. His co-workers seemed to be working on their pieces not as meticulously done as his. Macario is shaking his head and thinking its not fair if the quality and production is to be considered. when will they get a raise or be promoted? Macario was pressured to find another job when his son has decided to go to college and he wanted to help him. When he told the president that he wanted to leave the president told him privately that he will raise his pay. Nobody knows that he got a raise and he was given longer hours to work , he gets the hours partially from the night shift. Macario stayed more years from the fireplace company, because of his secret collaboration with the company president, even his other co-workers seemed to ignore him because of jealousy but he didn;t mind at all. But his second son is going to college and he wanted not to stop schooling since his first son is almost finished his studies in engineering. This time the president was not able to keep Macario to work with him but pleaded to him that he could come back anytime. Is that not a good gesture from the president assuring his job is not closed? This new job of Macario is picking materials on top of the conveyor while it is running. Can you imagine him picking them and throwing them like raindrops dropped into steel containers. These materials came from recycled electronic materials like tv's and computers. This recycling company makes much money for they have low production cost being considered as scrap . One day there are two gentlemen passing by his work station one was watching him intently. He went on what he is doing picking and picking in full speed as they say. He didn't know that there was a plan of the Operations Manager for them to do. That day came and he was surprised that they set up glaring spotlights at his work station. When the machine is running and he is picking so fast the Operations Manager came to watch him. He heard later that it is for advertising on how to process or recycle the materials which is quality for export. Imagine how much more do they make with the low cost of production so Macario is receiving double from the existing minimum wage. He could really send his second son to college. It took many years for him to work in this company but he got no promotion but a yearly salary raise of $2 dollars and occasional dinner with the General Manager being a top producer. Although he may not get a higher position his pay was raise yearly and he was happy with that. No other company will do that. His family was excited celebrating the graduation of his third child. She was hired to be a teacher in the elementary grades. His first son works at the automotive company as an engineer. His second son is still in school choosing medicine to become a doctor. That's why Macario keeps on working to support his children in their studies and they maintained and improved their house , to have a place they call home. That is Macario a fully devoted family man looking forward to his retirement years, looking forward to live comfortably with his retirement. After retirement he choose to stay working having learned that he is allowed. They sold their house and they are now living in a condominium with his wife. Their children have now families of their own and it is better for them to pay the lower cost of living. Their second son who just graduated and practice as a physician left for England to get a specialization course in medicine. Macario expects that he will finish soon. He may retire to spend his old age having vacations. His present job is not lucrative as his second job. He has to work for maybe three more years hoping in his retirement they may be able to go to England to stay with their son who plans to live there and practice his profession. Things are getting better when his son in the automotive industry asked his father to apply for his retirement a time for him to rest but Macario refused. He really wanted to see his son graduate as a medical doctor so that all his children become professionals. That day came when the family decided to travel to England to attend their brother's graduation. As he marched to receive his diploma while his family took his picture , his family didn't know he was crying in which graduates usually do, not for himself but for his Dad Macario the greatest of all Dads who sacrificed his own pleasures to let his children reached their professional goals which is his family production goal.


April 26, 2023 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.