0 comments

Fiction Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

  • "How about you share something for a change. I'm exhausted, and I know we're only 15 minutes in, but I.... come on, I'm always talking here."
  • "Well, that's the point, Sandra. Why are you so frustrated about it today?"
  • "I just, come on, just for a minute, can you share something that's brought you joy recently? Just this once, maybe your answer will inspire me."
  • "Okay, fine, just this once. Something that's brought me joy recently is that I just finished reading a book, and I have to tell you, it's the best thing I've read in years."
  • "Oh really? What's it about?"
  • "It's about this woman who discovers she has the power to time travel. She uses it to try and change her past, but realizes that every action has consequences."
  • "That sounds really interesting. I might have to check it out."
  • "It's got me thinking about the power of choice and how every decision can shape our lives in ways we couldn't have predicted. Sometimes we can find inspiration where we least expect it."
  • "Yeah, it's funny how even the smallest choices can be greatly impactful. I think you have to be someone who can actually make impactful things for that to be true. It doesn't apply to everyone."
  • "It is true no matter who you are, and it's just what we discussed last week. When you make tiny changes, things can change, no matter who you are...You seem unsure. Tell me about the books you read. "
  • "I like to read mostly mystery novels. Not a lot though, you know how now everything's considered a mystery, which can really spoil it. I like the ones that have you second-guessing the whole time. "
  • "Ah, so you like a good mystery. Do you have a favorite type?"
  • "Yeah, I really like the ones where you think you know who did it, but then there's a twist at the end that you didn't see coming. The ones that really have you thinking about how anyone could actually do the thing, the murder, the damage. Now that's an impact. It's funny how to do bad things it really doesn't matter who you are. If you want to do good things, it does. "
  • "That's an interesting way of looking at it. I've never thought about it like that. When you're reading these books, do you ever try to solve the mystery before the end of the book?"
  • "Sometimes, but I'm usually wrong. I guess that's why I like the twist endings, they always surprise me."
  • "Based on what you mentioned, who do you usually think is the guilty party of the story? The regular good person or the seemingly evil one?"
  • "I'm always rooting for the good one to be guilty, and it usually happens, just not the good person I focus on. There's always someone else, the friend, the neighbor, the seemingly invisible one."
  • "And when that happens, with whom do you identify most? The guilty, the one you thought did it but didn't, the victim?"
  • "Well, it really depends on the book. I mean, some of the victims are just so stupid, like, how did they not see it coming? It was right there, you know? I guess usually I identify with the person I thought did it but didn't. It proves me wrong, I suppose."
  • " And how does that make you feel or think about yourself?"
  • " It's a bit strange really because I'm always a bit relieved to be proven wrong, but at the same time, it troubles me why I see the evil in good people instead of on who's actually evil."
  • "I see. Well, that makes sense. I would be scared too. If I felt like I couldn't trust my instincts regarding whom to trust. Right now, it might be a mystery why you feel like that, but we can solve it together. No twists."
  • "I mean sure, but like, seriously Laura what's the point? You've sat there every week for the past six months, writing God knows what in your yellow notepad, and where has that gotten us to?" 
  • "Does it bother you that I sit here writing while we talk? Or are you frustrated because you expected something different from our sessions?"
  • "See? This is what I'm talking about, you keep asking all these questions, over and over, and where does that get us? What do you want me to say when you ask me these things? What would be enough for me to give an answer that makes everything else make sense?"
  • "I don't want you to say anything you don't want to say. I can understand why it can be frustrating to go over the same process multiple times. You've never expressed this frustration. Did something happen that wished you were making distinctive progress?"
  • "Don't you get tired? Don't you get tired of sitting across from me for 50 minutes every Thursday? Asking me absolutely irrelevant questions, and then pretending they have meaning? Scribbling away in the notepad as if it was proof that it mattered? Just because you're a therapist writing it down doesn't make it relevant!"
  • "Okay, Sandra, I can see you're upset, and I understand. Could you please sit back down so we can talk about this? I'm only here to help you. You come here voluntarily, and if you feel like I'm not helping it's okay. Maybe we need to try something different."
  • "You're still doing it! Stop it! You're trying to make it seem like everything's alright when you have no idea what's really going on. You can't help me, Laura, do you understand? There's nothing to help me with."
  • "Sandra, please stop pacing the room and sit back down. There's always something we can do to make things better, we'll figure it out."
  • "No. We won't. You know, I'm really glad you got to finish the book about time travel and that you enjoyed it. At least you enjoyed something very much before...."
  • "I'm glad you're sitting down again Sandra, and yes, I really enjoyed the book. Before what? Sandra, no! What are you doing? Please, try to be reasonable, there's.... there's nothing we can't work around. Just try to remain calm, please, please."
  • "It baffles me how you turned out to be the victim, Laura. You turned out to be such a disappointment. Like everyone else. Since you asked before, I've always felt relieved when I realized the good person in the book was not a killer, because it meant the invisible one could. I'm not good. You know that. You know everything I've done. Remember Jenny? The friend I told you about all the awful things she did to me? That was me! That was me, Laura! There is no Jenny!"
  • "Sandra, please, put the gun away, it's okay if you did bad things, we all do. You don't have to keep doing them."
  • "I was so disappointed when you didn't figure out I had made up Jenny. How could you not know? We magically named our pet the same? I slipped that day, and I was almost sure you were going to pick up on that, but you didn't. I almost didn't come back for another session, but you know what? You had grown on me, you only saw what I wanted you to, so I kept feeding you stories. They're all true though, none happened to me, but they're all true. I don't have that much imagination. The time I was abused at work? That happened to a coworker, she killed herself three weeks later. So, they weren't all lies. Oh, stop it with the crying, you barely have emotions."
  • "Sandra, no, no, I do have emotions, I am a human being. I have a family and a house, and I, please stop pointing the gun at me, just sit down. Or, you know if you walk out right now it would be fine, I wouldn't say anything, I'd just go home, that's it, please!"
  • "Wow, you know that does deserve some applause. That was really good, Laura. I almost believed that you would let me walk out of here just like that. But, no. You know what I've been doing all these sessions? I've been studying you while you thought you were analyzing me. You arch your left eyebrow when you lie, it's very subtle, but I noticed. I noticed the first time you said you were happily married." 
  • "Okay, I'm not happily married. My husband is a jerk, he cheated on me, okay?" 
  • " So unoriginal, as all men. You deserve so much more Laura, you're a good person. You're a good victim too, so trusting, so kind, so unaware of the many nights I parked outside your house. But it's okay because I solved it for us. You deserve better, and I can't get better, but victims always get praised. And bad people always make an impact. So that's what we'll do. You'll become a victim, and I will become relevant. I can already see the headlines: Deranged woman shots therapist in a warm summer Thursday's afternoon."
  • "Sandra there's no need to do this, there's always another way. I don't want to be praised, and you can do better to make an impact."
  • "Oh, Laura, Laura. You can't even control your left eyebrow from lifting. There is no other way."


February 23, 2023 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.