1 comment

American Friendship Fiction

June sat in the doctor's office, waiting patiently. She was thumbing through a travel magazine while she waited for her turn. Thinking of faraway places and dreaming of a vacation that she knew she would not be able to take for some time. A smile slowly crept across her face as she dreamed of different vacations she had never been on. She had just lost her job as a recruiter, due to company downsizing. She had an ample nest egg built up for savings, so she wasn't too worried about finding immediate work. And, she wanted to find just the right position and hopefully one that would last a while.

Across the room from her, she noted a very dapper looking fellow. His suit was very conservative, in a dark navy blue. He had a pale blue shirt and striped navy and red tie on. He was very handsome and although he seemed enthralled with his book, he did not seem too serious. June wondered if there was a way she could make his acquaintance without seeming too forward. He looked like someone she'd like to get to know.

She noted that he had brought in his own book. Although, there were ample magazines around on the tables about the room. It looked to be a self-help book of some sort and it started her thinking about what kind of work he may do for a living. He looked like more of an office worker than anything else. Definitely not a laborer or someone who worked with his hands.

Several different careers popped into her head. He could be a business owner, Realtor, upper management, June thought to herself. The options were endless. She lowered her magazine to the table beside her. Focusing her attention more on the gentleman than anything else in the room. His gaze flickered quickly to the receptionist and then over to the clock on the wall. Maybe he was on a time crunch, thought June. Doctors were never on time she thought to herself.

She decided to be bold and introduce herself. What could it hurt? She slowly got up and headed for a seat closer to him on the other side of the room. She cleared her throat as she sat down. "Excuse me," she stated as she got comfortable and settled down in the seat next to him. Then she drew her eyes in his direction. He slowly moved his gaze from his book to her.

"I'm wondering, is your book interesting?" June asked.

The man looked her over quickly and stated, "Yes, I'm doing a little research."

"Oh, I see.", replied June. "I thought as much. They offer such mundane magazines for us to pass our time. My name is June, by the way, nice to meet you." And she put forward her hand.

"Absolutely," stated the man. And he put his hand out to shake hers. "I knew that they would have reading material here to pass the time. But knowing the wait that I usually have, I wanted to bring something that would benefit my time. I'll be hiring someone for my company soon. I thought I'd see if there were any other skills I should add to my requirements. It was time to make sure we are keeping up with our competition. And, I'm Alan, nice to meet you as well.", he said.

"What kind of position are you going to be hiring for Alan?" asked June. "I was just let go from my job as a recruiter, and I am actually looking for something that might fit my career path."

She was now piqued with interest. He had already confirmed that he was a business owner, but what field of work was he in? She hoped it was something that she was proficient in. He was so good looking and so far, comfortable to talk with, that she knew he'd be an easy employer to work with.

"Well, I'm going to be hiring a new reservation agent for a small airline here locally. We just promoted the gal that was our rockstar. I was almost sad to move her up to middle management. This book has tips to improve your customer service skills. In the airline industry, that's a highly valuable asset.," said Alan.

"Oh yes, I can see how customer service skills would be valuable for that position," replied June. She wondered if traveling to any exotic locations was one of the perks that were to be offered with the job. She had a quick flashback to the travel she'd been daydreaming about before she had come over to talk with him.

"Huh, you're looking for a job right now?", Alan asked. "Very intriguing. I don't really promote or publish our openings, as I try to fill internally first, or by word of mouth. But, I don't really have any other employees right now who would work well into this position. You were pretty bold and confident in coming over and talking to me. Those are great skills in themselves as far as being outgoing and open with new people. I'd be very interested in following up with you about this position if it's something you'd like to pursue."

"Of course, that sounds wonderful.", said June. "But, I'm sure that one of us will be called back for our appointment at any moment. Can I give you my number, or is there one I should call to set up an appointment with you for a later time to discuss this?"

"Here," said Alan "Let me give you my card and you can call when you're done. We'll set up something next week. Lunch perhaps.”

"That sounds perfect", said June. She never would have thought in a million years that this would happen. That an ordinary visit to her doctor would lead to a potential job opportunity such as this. And, one with possible travel opportunities as well – what a bonus! She'd love to be able to take a quick trip every now and again. She had never even considered a job as a travel agent. But, setting up fun and exciting trips for people sounded right up her alley.

"I'll call later this afternoon then," June said. "It was very nice to meet you today, and I hope your research goes well."

"Yes, indeed," Alan replied. "I look forward to our next meeting."

They both gave each other another quick handshake and June smoothed out her skirt. She sat there thinking about the possible new journey she may be beginning and it brought a smile to her face.

Just then, the nurse popped through the door and called, "Alan?"

Alan quickly got up, gave June a quick nod, and headed back to the exam rooms.

The end

~

December 18, 2020 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jenne Gentry
23:43 Dec 23, 2020

Great job on your story! I loved how it all took place in the waiting room while June was waiting for her doctor's appointment. I also really liked her character- it is inspiring to read about a strong, empowered woman who isn't afraid to take control of her life and your story was a great example of that. Happy holidays!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.