The case of the Botch

Submitted into Contest #123 in response to: Begin or end your story with “Well, that was dramatic.”... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery LGBTQ+ Urban Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It's April 7th, 2021. I came home from London on a flight that included a layover and a priest trying to sell me the idea of Jesus. I gather essential information for someone significant to me. I woke up to hear someone shouting from the other room...

"Larry! Clean my fucking boots with your tongue!" My best friend and feared hitwoman Vixxen Fransico instructed her manservant on what to do. I laugh. 

My name is Aliricial Genesis; I'm a Detective and belong to a society of women called the Little Reds. We support women who need it and come down like hell on those who disrespect one. For example, Larry was hunted by Vixxen and believed it wasn't worth killing him. She mentally broke him, and Larry became her bitch.

I got up; I checked my phone to see if someone special had sent me a message, and there was one. A video message. My soon-to-be wife, Victoria, appeared on the screen. 

"How was last night, you ask? Murphy's law came and fuck up an otherwise successful night." She takes a breath, and I already know what she's about to tell me isn't good.  

"It was the Submit and Surrender match. The match was supposed to end with Lillith jamming Olivia's shoulder in-between the chair and separating her shoulder by stomping on it." Victoria said. 

I could tell right then, the match didn't end that way. 

"Olivia put Lillith in a hangman's choke submission move, Lillith was supposed to get out of it but passed out, and the ref called for the bell." Victoria explained. I knew this wasn't the worse part; Victoria has a flare for dramatics, and it was evident as she paused before sharing the next part of the story. 

  "I wasn't going to reverse the decision because the people in attendance threatened to riot if Lillith won. So the ending was rewritten. So Lillith reluctantly walked out of the ring; the crowd laughed and had a great time seeing she was scared. Long story short, she was nowhere to be found when we opened the lid backstage. The police won't release anyone unless Detective Genesis investigates to see if anything supernatural played a part in her disappearance. Hurry." Victoria said, and the video stopped. I text her four simple words, "Give me twenty-five minutes." 

 All wrestlers have a code to watch out for the other's safety. The suspicious part is that Olivia had perfected that submission move and knows how to apply the pressure or make anyone able to escape it.

I put on minimal make-up, Leather tights, my standard graphic t-shirt, and a leather jacket with my beautiful knee-high blood-red sneakers. 

I opened the door, and Vixxen was doing her daily dose of berating and humiliation of her manservant, Larry. He's trying not to cry. 

"Something happened at Wrestle war." I said to Vixxen. 

"That bitch Lillith went into the coffin." Vixxen laughed. 

"And never came out.." She stopped cold after I said that. 

"It couldn't happen to a nicer person, but I thought the coffin was blessed, and no one else could be transported into hell like the last girl." Vixxen said. I walked over to the nightstand and looked at the thumb drive. 

"Everything we learn in London is on there." Vixen said and put it in my pocket. 

"Is the next two games canceled?" She asked and pulled out her phone. The Pinnacle City Wolves play in the stadium as last night's Wrestling Event. The team and wrestling promotion is owned by my girlfriend. Vixxen reads something on her phone and then throws it on the floor with force. The glass didn't break. 

" The last two games have been canceled! I turned down European jobs to kill drug dealers for half a million apiece to watch those games." Vixxen said, then took off her belt and beat Larry with it. Watching this man being beaten warms my heart and soul. Vixxen stops and watches Larry curl up in the fetal position. She looks at me and laughs. 

This morning has been disappointing. Before I left, I made Vixxen promise me not to wreck my house with gunfire if any of her enemies come to visit her. Thousand of refunds were being distributed for the Pinnacle City Wolves canceled games. My Fiance Victoria doesn't like losing money for no reason.  When I'm not solving a case, I love Baseball, and like Vixen, I was overjoyed to know a woman was starting her rookie year with the team.

One of the rookies, Mercedes Valenuza, is starting the year with a perfect batting average. She's stolen bases and contributed to most runs, which led to the Wolves winning the first three games. Her offensive was terrific, but the catches in the air as she robbed people the opportunity to score and hit an inside-the-park home run her debut has made every sports network. I wanted to see that in person!

The press blocks my entrance, which doesn't sit well with me. I honk my horn, and those parasites get out of my way. I drive my Nissan to a V.I.P parking space next to my fiance's 2021 red Legacy Motorcycle. I got out of the car, and the parasites shouted questions to me. I muttered a few words in Latin towards the press then went inside the elevator. I wait to hit the 10th floor, so I pull out a new piece of Bonkers Gum that helps conquer my urge to have Crisco energy drinks, I suffer from a sleep disorder, and the medication I take to sleep will not work if I have Alcohol or caffeine in my system. 

When I stepped off the elevator, my future mother-in-law Davina stood there, and I had a million reasons to want to hurt her after learning what I found out from my trip to London. 

"Where's Tori?" I said, making it clear my fiance is my priority

"She hired you?" She asks, and that's fucking insulting. 

"She doesn't have to hire me?" I reminded the insulting woman who gave birth to my love and proceeded to walk past her. I know where she is, I walk in, and my lady is arguing with Star Pitcher Tyler Raven. He has an excellent reason to be angry, his girlfriend Lillith was in the coffin, and now she's missing. 

"You never like her; I wouldn't be surprised if you took Lilith!" Tyler yelled at Victoria, who showed a poker face, and I could feel her restraint. She's half-wolf, and one punch to his skull could do more than just crack it. 

"You should really stick to pitching then spewing false claims. Tell me, Tyler, why shouldn't I believe you didn't set this up to make Victoria look bad for your restricted contract? I could think of spells that could make Lillith disappear." I said, wanting to punch him. 

 " You're treating me like I'm a criminal!" he yelled, and we just stood there in silence. Tyler is justified in his anger. 

  "You better fucking find.." he doesn't finish the sentence because I yell, "Get out!" He storms out. She walks over to me really exhausted and has a smile on her face because she loves when I get aggressive. 

   "Well, that was dramatic." 

December 08, 2021 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.