1 comment

Black Creative Nonfiction Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Listen, I beg you. Please, listen to me Mike. This is getting out of hand... I can’t take it anymore!”

“Look, all I’m saying is; I need a small break from all this…I think you do too. Just a little time away from each other. We can’t keep doing this, Mike” I begged desperately, still locked inside the bathroom.

“You can’t leave me Lena, I won’t let you! Not now, not ever, you hear me, never!” Mike’s voice came roaring from the other side of the door.

“How dare you! After all I’ve done for you, and your family? How dare you tell me you want to leave?”

“Why I’m I not surprised? Huh…I knew you would show your true colors, sooner or later. You are just a selfish, and ungrateful bi…..”

“You see what I’m talking about, Mike? Please my love, we can’t go on like this. We can’t keep hurting each other this way. You need help….and I need serious medical attention. This is not you Mike, please hear me out!” I cut in.

‘Bang! Bang! Bang!’ Mike pounded on the door. “What are you insinuating, Lena? Are you by any chance, calling me crazy? Is that how you see me now? Crazy. Right, Lena?”

“Well, open this door! Right now! So you can look me in the eye, and say that to me.”

“Stop, Mike… enough, please. I didn’t say you are crazy, I was only suggesting that you need to find someone you can talk to. You know, a professional you can tell everything that’s been bothering you…”

“If it sounded like I was calling you crazy, then I’m sorry my love. That wasn’t my intention…please forgive me.” I said, tears rolling down my cheeks.

I would say anything; apologize for something I didn’t do, just so he would leave me alone. I had barely escaped with my life! When I got the chance, I had quickly limped out of the dining room, leaning against the wall for support, and constantly looking over my shoulder.

My priority being my safety, I was able to ignore the excruciating pain from my left knee. In rage, Mike had kicked it so painfully with his boots, and judging from the swelling, it could be broken. I’m not so sure though.

On reaching the bathroom (the safest place I could think of at the time), I had securely locked the door behind me. The pain in my leg had progressed, it was so unbearable, I could no longer withstand it. I slumped to the floor.

All the while, I could hear Mike smashing and breaking things. Plates, cups, drinking glasses, pretty much anything breakable, that he could get his hands on. I held my breath, hoping and praying for him to not kick in the door. Otherwise, he would kill me for sure.

This wasn’t happening for the first time. It has been going on for a while, albeit under wraps. The last time it happened was four months ago. I had been one month pregnant with our second child at the time, and was so excited about it. It was never to be. I lost the pregnancy, on top of having sustained serious injuries all over my body, and hospitalized for two weeks. Mike had gone on a rampage one evening, after coming home drunk. During dinner, he had jokingly asked a general question that to me, required a general answer. I’d just given a general, And short answer. I had no idea it was just a set up. All he had wanted was an excuse to raise hell!

You see, Mike had forbidden me from ever associating with one of his closest friends, turned ‘foe’. Albert and Mike had grown up together, and we’re so tight, they were like twins!

Apart from growing up together, their families were partners in business. They together owned, and had been successfully running a manufacturing company for the longest time. Being the first born sons in their respective families, Mike and Albert had undergone grooming to take over leadership of the company, from their parents.

They had both been enrolled in the best business schools abroad. To ensure they were well seasoned, and equipped with the skills required to run the business.

However, of the two, Albert had shown more seriousness about taking up the mantle from his father, and had better business sense. Mike on the other hand, had been a little noncommittal, though he’d acquired considerable business knowledge.

So, when they had come of age, the board had unanimously favored Albert over Mike, and gave him a more influential position in company.

Mike would have none of it! Though he was also given a leadership role, he would still, indirectly, work under Albert.

He tried to appeal the board’s decision, but was unsuccessful, since even his own father; my father in law, had stood in solidarity with the Board of Management. The status quo was maintained.

That marked the end of being an inseparable pair, and the onset of bitter rivalry between them. Mike saw Albert as a traitor, who had betrayed him, by not refusing to take up the positions in protest; as he had suggested they do.

The enmity escalated even further, when I was appointed to work directly under Albert. It was a leadership position as well, and I was elated. My husband didn’t feel the same way. He was like;

“Lena, honey, you won’t accept the appointment, right?”

“That would be outright disrespectful to me, don’t you think?” He’d emphasized.

“I would be so humiliated, hun…the employees would have a field day gossiping about us…you don’t want that, do you?” he’d tried to guilt-trip me.

I didn’t fall for it.

“Look, my love, I know you and Albert are no longer friends, and it’s only natural that you would be skeptical about me working under him. I hear you my darling, and I understand your stance.”

“However, don’t you think me, declining the appointment would be taking things too far, considering the fact that the company is your parents’ legacy? Besides, honey, I’ve been working so hard. I earned this promotion. My love, I’m gonna need you to support me in this. Please.”

“Furthermore, Albert isn’t the one who appointed me. It was both your dad, and his together, on merit.”

“Look, love, you are my husband, and I love, and respect you so much. I can never do anything to jeopardize our marriage. What I’ll be doing under Albert is purely work. You have nothing to worry about. I promise.” I managed to coax him into coming on board.

‘Huh!’ he heaved a sigh.

“Ok, Hun, you win! I won’t insist anymore. I apologize. Take up the role. You have my support. Congratulations my love.” he came over and patted me on the shoulder.

We sealed our unity of purpose with a warm embrace, and a lingering kiss.

The support never lasted, every time we had a departmental meeting, he would lose it saying he could no longer trust Albert, and that I should just resign.

Mike and I, met a year after I graduated from high school. I was a domestic servant, working as a cleaner in his house, a job I took up to raise money for my college tuition.

I was diligent, and performed my duties satisfactorily, with minimal supervision, earning me a ‘promotion’ to work inside the main house, all within just two months.

It was a luxurious, humongous house located in a posh and serene neighborhood, a few minutes’ drive from the city. Around it was a high perimeter wall, enhanced with a razor-wire fence on top. At the entrance, stood a mighty, black iron gate, manned by a uniformed guard who only let anyone in (Staff, especially…) after proper vetting and verification.

I couldn’t help gawking. It was worlds apart from my normal! There was a small garden full of flowers and ornamental plants, giving the home a warm and relaxed atmosphere. Everything looked so elegant, delicately beautiful. The well-manicured lawn in front of the house, and a spacious yard at the back. A heart-shaped swimming pool whose clear, blue water was simply too tempting. The all-pavement parking lot boasted of multiple cars, which all looked quite expensive to me.

The house comprised of a spacious and airy living room, with large windows that flooded the room with natural light. The furnishing was elegant, and exquisite! The kitchen was modern, with appliances, some of which I’d only seen on TV!

A flight of stairs led to six bedrooms, all en suite. My duty was to maintain the cleanliness of the bedrooms at all times, with the exception of the master bedroom. It was a great privilege for me to work in this house; a rare opportunity, a miracle so to speak. Not just anybody worked here. I had been referred to work here by a local political leader, who had heard about my excellent performance in the national examinations. I was volunteering at a nearby children’s home by then.

He came visiting at the home with his team, and that’s where he met me. I guess he had been impressed with my work, and sort to know more about me, and my family. I had told him everything about my family’s financial struggles, and about how I couldn’t go to college, even though I’d qualified for it. That’s how I found myself in this mansion. Through his connection.

******

I'd been working at the Banda mansion for seven months when Mike Banda came back home from the United Kingdom. He had his father’s height; approximately 6’9 inches tall, and his mother’s fair skin. He was muscular in build; like he worked out a lot. He looked great in a low fade haircut, with golden spongy twists, that brought out his square forehead. He had on clear eyeglasses, through which a pair of deep set, black eyes twinkled. His carved short beard framed his handsome face, while his smile revealed two perfect rows of pearly white teeth.

I’d been informed of his return beforehand, to ensure everything was ready for in his room, and I did exactly that. I wanted his comfort, and not to find any reason at all to complain about work. I was nineteen, going on to twenty, while he was twenty-five.

During the first month, of his coming back, mike had pretty much stayed in; almost as if he had no friends to hang out with, or places to go, though I already knew about his best friend Albert. I got the impression that he was very lonely. I didn’t dare say anything though. It wasn’t my place anyway!

I kept doing my job as best as I could, even though sometimes when it came to his room, it meant cleaning it with him inside… in bed. Being barely twenty years old, I was very uncomfortable with this kind of arrangement…my mother was either. Scared even… But I had to execute my duties nonetheless. I was so dedicated to my job, he slowly began to warm up to me. You know, asking about my life, where I lived, my family and stuff like. I never felt too thrilled talking about such things with him, but he persuaded me.

“Come on Lena, I just want to know more about the girl who makes my room smell so good…” he said wiping his eyeglasses with the hem of his vest.

“Please, excuse me sir, if you don’t mind, I need to change your bed sheets” I said, avoiding eye contact with him, hoping to evade the conversation he’d started.

“Mike. Call me by my name from now onwards. That title belongs to my dad…and his agemates.” He smiled. 

“Another thing, relax girl, you look so scared! Why are you so scared of me? I won’t eat you…!” his tone was gentle, yet persuasive.

“Okay, sir” I said and exited the room immediately.

He chuckled, and turned up the volume on his mp3 player. Playing was Colbie Caillat’s ‘Fallin’ For You…’

From that day, by and by, he went out of his way to show me, he had no ill intentions towards me. He won me over with kindness and the respect he showed to not just me, but everyone around. The ice between us melted, the social wall fell, until the boundaries between became almost none-existent. He would buy grocery and, take me in his car when I went to visit my family. Much to my mom’s displeasure. She was quite skeptical about our ‘relationship’.

She would pull me aside and warn me against my closeness with the boss’ son.

“Be wise my daughter, never forget what took you there in the first place. Focus on what’s important child. Be careful, and don’t nurture feelings that won’t take you anywhere…” She would stress, with much concern.

“Lena, I appreciate the courteousness of this young man and his entire family …and I’m also grateful for the kindness they’ve shown us so far. I believe they are good people, but they are rich people dear! Rich people marry their own kind my girl, they do not mingle with people like. Please daughter, I’m only looking out for you.

“Okay mom, I understand. I promise to take care of myself. Thank you.” I hugged her and we drove off with mike.

I kept away from Mike, in the weeks that followed, putting every effort to avoid him. He would get in, and I would get out. It was very hard for me to do this. I was already in love with him!

One day when I was cleaning his room as usual, he confronted me.

“Until when are you going to do this? Aren’t you tired yet? It’s been three weeks for crying out loud! Why are you avoiding me, Lena? But why? Please explain to me…”

I kept hanging the shirts. Didn’t stop to look at him. I didn’t want him to see the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

“I’m talking to you Lena, please look at me…”

A teardrop escaped from my left eye, and was rolling down my face as I turned around to look at him.

“Look, Mike, Thanks for your kindness and all, but you are my boss and I’m your employee. That’s how it should be…”

My head was bowed to avoid eye contacts with him, but I could hear him move across towards me. He didn’t stop. He kept inching closer, and closer until I could hear his breathing. His cologne filled my nose. I closed my eyes not wanting to see what he would do next.

“Open your eyes Lena, look at me. I want to make you understand something…” he whispered in my ear.

I heaved a sigh, and obliged.

Reaching out, he gently wiped off the tears with two of his fingers. Then held my face between his palms.

“Look at you Lena, God! You are so beautiful! From the moment I set my eyes on you, I felt a strong connection with. I’ve been trying to deny it, but I can’t anymore.”

“When I gaze upon your beauty, that sexy figure of yours, your tiny waist that I’m dying to hold, I can’t help but dream of one day having kids with you.”

“I hope to one day have a daughter who has your beautiful features. Your eyes that sparkle so much when you are excited, the beautiful gap that divides your white upper teeth into two sections, oh my God, the dimples on your chocolate cheeks, that drive me so crazy each time you smile.”

“I love you Lena, and I want you to be my woman…”

“Let go of me Mike, you don’t know what you are talking about.” I replied squirming to free myself.

 “Don’t fight it Lena, I know you feel the same, let go of your fears, and just live this moment right here.

He leaned in, and I closed my eyes as his lips find mine. His scent made me feel safe against his hard, warm body.

When we came back to our senses, we across the bridge, never to look back!

I found out I was pregnant when I fell seriously ill, and had to see a doctor.

Mike took responsibility, and I took care of me really well. I stopped working.

One year after the birth of our daughter Ruby, Mike and I got married, in a lavish wedding. Albert was his best man.

We agreed that I should continue my studies, so, Mike enrolled me in college, where I studied accountancy and graduated with first class honors four years later.

I was immediately appointed to work in the finance department in the family owned company, BanSel Corporation.

We were happy, life was good. My family was doing better financially, my two siblings had finished college and were doing well, all courtesy of Mike.

All was going well, until it was time to hand over the company leadership to the next generation; Mike and Albert Selanga. Mike made a fuss over the appointments, termed the whole process a sham. He became bitter, and began to drink heavily.

His frustrations turned to paranoia, and he begun to project his anger towards me. Many times he asked me to stay at home, since I was pregnant anyway. I refused over and over, until he slapped one day. He apologized for it. A few days later, he beat me senseless, I suffered a miscarriage, and was hospitalized. My family and his begged me not to report him to the authorities.

I didn’t, I couldn’t…

Here we go again, locked inside a bathroom. My all face swollen and bloody, my clothes torn and my knee broken.

The man I love, the one who should protect me, is baying for my blood on the other side of the door.

I AM TRAPPED!

November 12, 2021 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

John K Adams
01:33 Nov 20, 2021

You have a compelling story here. But the exposition is cumbersome. And much of the dialogue is confusing. Usually, when a new paragraph starts, that indicates a new speaker. I suggest reading your work aloud when editing to see how it sounds. That helps me to cut down long descriptions and redundant dialogue. And to maintain the emotional tension, keep it in the here and now. Use dialogue to fill in essential details but minimize descriptions which don't move things forward.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.