0 comments

High School Fiction Drama

Jonathan's first true love was the Red Devil vacuum cleaner but then again, he was only a toddler. He hugged it tight as he rode around the living room while his mother, Elaine tidied up. Elaine remembered those easy early days as Jonathan entered the halls of Truman High School. As a senior, he rushed off without a word. She watched him walk away thinking about who he was becoming, how his tastes seemed to change overnight, and then, there was Addison. Elaine sighed heavily wondering how this situation was going to end.

Addison Montgomery was the daughter of Elaine’s ex-best friend, Abbie. Abbie and her then-husband adopted Addison when she was just a toddler. From the first time Jonathan saw her, he felt a closeness to her and it showed. One summer day, Elaine gave Jonathan a cookie to share with Abbie. To Elaine and Abbie, it was obvious to them there was something special as he handed Addison her half, giving her a kiss on the cheek, causing her to burst into enormous crocodile tears as if someone had slapped her! The two talked about how wonderful it would be if Jonathan and Abbie would find each other as adults, bringing their friendship into a whole new realm of being related. 

That was a long time ago, the two women were best friends no more. Husbands gone, harsh words said in anger, and Abbie and Elaine went their separate ways living side by side on Venus Avenue. Abbie became bitter after the divorce and Elaine was solemn and stoic after Jack passed.

Jonathan and Addison waited at the same bus stop all through their elementary years and found themselves in the same class nearly every single year, and now they are president and vice-president of their senior class. 

“Jonathan Harris, please come to the office,” was announced over the loudspeaker just as the most boring gym class ever was coming to a welcome end. Jonathan happily showered, dried and changed to meet with principal Carrey to discuss last weekend’s “extra-curricular” activities. 

Jonathan knew what Carrey would say, “You did this, blah, blah, blah. You and Miss Montgomery are not living up to the standards, blah, blah, blah. See Mrs. Chanx for detention on Tuesday.” He wasn’t the least bit worried about a first offense, besides most of his recommendation letters had already been sent by coach, Mr. Paisley the counselor, and Mrs. Voigt, senior English who said his last paper was “brilliant and heartwarming.”

“Mr. Harris, please sit down,” Mr. Carrey said in an emotionless voice. “I’ve just had a visit from Ms. Montgomery. I’m sure you understand why. Addison’s mother is quite concerned with your recent….activities. She was very distressed to learn about Friday night’s incident. “ The principal said with one eye-brow raised in judgment.

“Mr. Carrey, surely you can understand that even though she and my mother have not spoken in years, that Addy and I don’t really care. Their issues with one another are just that, theirs.

“I understand that young man, but don’t think for a minute that I can condone the showing of such rapt affection for one another. It’s school policy! And let’s not forget that Mr. Montgomery, even though he and Ms. Montgomery are no longer married care very much about their daughter and her future.” 

“Mr. Carrey, what Addy and I do is really no one else’s affair!” Jonathan ran his hands through his thick, dark brown locks. “Legally, we are both adults!”

“That may be in all truth however, you we’re on school property which causes some issues here. You know the rules about public displays of affection. Ms. Montgomery has requested you be held personally responsible and be required to step down as senior class president.”

“What!? Mr. Carrey, that is anything but fair! To that woman this is personal! Julie Swanson and Jorge Gutierrez were only given detention for two days last year and they were caught in a “compromising” situation!” Jonathan yelled, flinging open the door only to slam it on his way out. 

Jonathan stopped, turned, grabbed the door and shoved to add more to his argument but didn’t realize the principal was just about to grab the door to catch him. As Jonathan shoved, Mr. Carrey found himself on the receiving end of the corner of the door right between the eyes, snapping his frames right down the middle. 

“Oh, Mr. Carrey, I’m so sorry, sir. Please, let me help.” Jonathan bent and grabbed the halves of the broken glasses  then offered to help the sixty-something senior by the arm to assist as he seemed a bit wobbly on his feet. The older gent shrugged in disgust. 

“Mr. Harris! I am fine! It is you, who are NOT!” He yelled.

“Come in here and SIT DOWN! You DID NOT let me finish!”

Jonathan felt horrible as he took a seat and tried to listen but his anger had welled in response to how Ms. Montgomery had treated Addison since Friday nights’ game. 

He had heard yelling, Addison crying in her favorite spot, the swing under the pergola.

“Mr. Harris, I want you to know, I told Ms. Montgomery that the handbook, as set out by the school board dictates the punishment for such offenses. You are no more in jeopardy of losing what you have worked so hard for, even after losing your father last year from that horrible accident than I am of getting out of this unfortunate incident without a nasty bruise that will make my worry-wort wife make me a doctor’s appointment. You deserve all the help in the world!

Addison pleaded with Mr. Porter in Advanced Chemistry to let her use the restroom, claiming to feel ill so she could plead her case to Mr. Carrey.  When she turned the corner to go down the hall to the office, she saw  Jonathan leaving shaking Mr. Carrey’s hand. She overheard Mr. Carrey remark, “Son, just let me know when you need that recommendation. I’d be only too happy to get that sent to Columbia for you.”

With tears in her eyes, Addison knew everything would be okay even though her mother had interfered once again. Right then and there Addison decided that living with her father and his new wife would be better than dealing with her bitter mother for the rest of the school year. If anyone would understand how wonderful it feels to be in the arms of someone truly worthy, it would be him. After all he realized his worth, left the bitter shrew and found all that he had longed for the past twenty years in the arms of another.

February 10, 2024 22:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.