0 comments

Fiction Friendship Contemporary

Flatmates        

                                                                                                                                          Papia Ray



‘Are you coming tonight?’ said Saudamini. Radha heard her speak in a hushed tone and was surprised. There were just the two of them and they had been getting along quite well since the last one year. So why the hushed tone? It left Radha feeling a bit piqued.

We all know opposites attract. It happened to be the same with Radha and Saudamini, though, they were not exactly attracted to each other. Both were thrown together when each needed a housemate to share the rent of a flat in a strange city. A flatmate rather, since it had two rooms with attached baths, sparsely furnished but adequate. Both had come to enquire about the flat and the owner suggested that they move in together. At first they agreed on a temporary basis, wary of the other’s habits but as days flew by and each hardly had time together for any interaction, they continued to live under the same roof, sharing the rent, respecting each other’s privacy. Both were conscious of the other and also obliged. Theirs was a relationship of need, not very warm yet courteous and friendly to a point and with a touch of restraint. A kitchenette allowed them the option to cook their own food when desired.  

They looked as different as was possible at first glance. Radha was short, slim, fair with short, curly hair while Saudamini was tall, plumpish, dark and with a magnificent mane of thick, long hair. Radha’s face was heart shaped with a short nose and wide forehead. While Saudamini had a lovely oval shaped face, a parrot nose and a forehead which appeared narrower because her heavy hair threatened to encroach on the open space. Their interests varied. Saudamini could be heard singing in the morning, while Radha was fond of plants that grew on their balcony. Radha worked for a publishing house while Saudamini worked as a research scholar on a monthly stipend. Both loved their work. Weekends found them catching up on sleep or finishing mundane chores.

It was thus till almost a year when suddenly Radha was struck down with flu. She came early from office one day and went straight to bed with a running nose and a splitting headache. She did not even hear Saudamini come in the next morning and peep into her room. When atlast she woke up, it was past nine o’ clock. The house was silent and she knew she had a fever coming on and so went to the kitchen to eat something before popping a paracetamol into her mouth. To her surprise she found sandwiches and a flask of coffee on the kitchen platform, with a chit propped up, “for you,- S”.

Overcome with gratitude, Radha wanted to thank her but somehow missed coming face to face with her. For the next three days, it so happened that there was always food waiting for her on the kitchen platform, and when she was awake either Saudamini had already left for work or had gone to sleep at night, until one day Radha feeling much better waited in the lobby’s only sofa to wait for Saudamini to return from her work. This was the first time she felt some curiosity about the girl.

She was surprised that Saudamini did not return even after 10 pm. Eyes drooping with sleep she went to her room and had just closed her door when she stopped. She heard the key turn and waited. Nothing happened. Complete silence. No sound of movement of any kind. Puzzled, she stepped out to make sure and was lifting her finger to knock when she  heard the words, ‘Are you coming tonight?’ Hushed and breathless.

 Her brows together in deep thought she went back to her room. Was Saudamini expecting a guest? Had she brought a guest when she had been laid with fever? Why was she being so secretive? Why hadn’t she heard her come in?  As the questions played in her mind giving rise to others all sleep left her.  She decided to remain awake and wait for the guest whoever he or she was. Keeping her door slightly ajar she soon tried to busy herself checking and answering mails which had filled her inbox.     

A sudden need for water made her notice the time. It was past two. Had the guest come while she was immersed in her work? To check up she walked up to her friend’s door, and looked in through the  keyhole all the time feeling absurdly foolish and guilty and yet bursting with apprhension. She saw Saudamini sitting up in bed speaking something. No sound. Perhaps revising a presentation? But no she was gesturing and speaking in low tones to someone not visible to Radha. Who was she? Or he? She knew it would be wrong to interrupt so late at night and meekly went back to bed and tried to sleep. She would check the remaining mails later.  

The house was eerily silent. Sleep would not come.

Atlast the first rays of dawn appeared in the sky outside her window and she got up to make tea. Trying to shake off the feelings of the night that seemed so unreal now she went to the kitchen and was surprised to see Saudamini making tea.

‘ Feeling better?’ she asked with a smile, handing her a cup. ‘I was thinking whether to put yours in a flask. These days I have been trying to be a mouse, you know not make a sound---.’

Radha smiled back.  To think that she had spent a sleepless night worrying about her flatmate----.

‘Yes, much better, thanks. Thanks also for the food you kept for me, it was really nice of you,’she replied warmly and then added after a pause, ‘let me make breakfast for both of us today.’

‘Oh, thanks but I have heated some left overs, so don’t bother. As for the food for you that was nothing, it was for me too---,’ she said arranging her tray humming a tune under her breath unaware that Radha was battling with herself over a question. 

‘Ok---Saudamini, mind if I ask you something?’

‘Ofcourse not. What is it?’

‘Did you have a guest last night?’

‘Gue--st---guest?’ Saudamini’s face mirrored surprise. ‘Ofcourse not. Where’s the time to entertain a guest---the work schedule is too much, even on a Sunday like this. One day I will throw up everything and return home---,’ she said with a laugh. ‘I think you are better off,’ and with that she left leaving behind a very thoughtful Radha.

Radha’s mind was in a whirl. She was sure she had not dreamt the whole thing. After watering the plants she returned to her computer while Saudamini locked herself in her room.  Acutely aware of the empty house she decided to go for a short walk. This was the first time she had been cooped up indoors for so long, thanks to the flu, so a breath of fresh air would certainly do her good. When she returned she was again mystified to hear low, urgent conversation in her flatmate’s room, the entreating words,  Are you coming tonight?  The keyhole did not reveal the person other than Saudamini herself but her wild gestures certainly unnerved her. Was something wrong with the girl?

Just as she was returning to her room, Saudamini burst out of her room hot and flushed. Breathless. Concerned, Radha looked up. Her face a picture of deep concern bordering on curiosity.’

‘Nothing, nothing  to worry. Just practicing my part in a play---,’she said. ‘Will you come tonight?’

Radha froze.

‘Me?’

‘Of course, didn’t you read the e-mail I sent you? There’s a charity show at our Institute. I didn’t ask you---you were so sick--- but this morning you said you were better so --- I thought maybe---.’

          Radha managed to smile while in her mind she fumed at herself.

July 29, 2021 07:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.