0 comments

Adventure Fiction Science Fiction

 Chris Hinrichsen Reeds y:contest

jchinrichsen88a@gmail.com Christianhinrichsen4@gmail.com

Not Guilty.

Bearer Towers HMS Prison, Jordero

I walk the halls of the most insidious prison of Jordero. HMS Bearer Towers, Babel Jordero.

I see a dwarf known as Runty Smokes, guilty of the crime of screwing a wife of the Grand Dutch of Areal. If you didn't know Areal is the chief port city of the Babel region. My name is Saze Abdul and this is my story. Abdul walks in manacles and tattered robes as he is flanked by two Babel Minotaur guards. Abdul appears as an olive-skinned man with a clean-cut now that his brown beard was shaved off by his guards. The lead guard known as Mi-zit is a half daemon that makes his home here in Bearer Towers. Using Minotaurs for high risk

prisoners. Both guards wear bandoleers and leather hide armor.

They call me a high-risk fugitive from my reputation as a swashbuckling scoundrel. Mi-zit has always been a prick to his prisoners and I hope this solicitor I am to meet will prove my innocence but it looks like I have a while before I can get the Hades out of this place. May Allah direct me.

The lead Minotaur pushes Abdul into an office room where a lion-like man sits in dark robes.

“Inside, Abdul! I hope your solicitor will make you pay for your crimes.”

“OOF...Always a pleasure to see you too Briggs. Have a nice day.” Abdul rises from his

position on the floor and looks up at the lion-like man. ' I take it you are my solicitor. I am Saze Abdul, Solicitor? ...I am sorry I did not catch your name thanks to Briggs and his better than you look.” Abdul extends his hand to the lion-man who shuffles through his papers.

“ I did not give you my name Prisoner 774. I am your public solicitor and I am here to hear your case before Judicar Grexxes sentences you.” The lion-man shuts the folders before him. ' I am Solicitor Rant z; prisoner 774, how do you plead tonight.”

“I am innocent for the crime I am guilty of Solicitor Rant z, let me speak my voice.' Abdul takes a seat across from the public solicitor.

“Well if you are share your tale with me.” Rant z takes a parchment and quill pen and starts to record Abdul's story.

10 days ago. A trireme pulls into port. A winch crane moves over to the vessel and is lowered to the crew who starts unloading its cargo. A dark-skinned man in fashionable robes greets Saze like smuggling partners. “ I take it the Pistachios you collected for me are in fine shape

Saze.” Comments Leonard Falloff.

Saze places a reed-weed into his bearded mouth. “ Your cousin was fussy but I managed to offer him some Eastern Liquor. He is greatly admired with the salt bonus as well. Speaking of salt and spices do you have my cargo ready.”

“It will take a few days Cap'n but I will have it ready for you.”

'Fair enough, my gang will take it easy. Any problems with local officials?”

“Just the usual bologna, of bureaucratic dung. There is a new Judicar in town so make sure your lads behave themselves. He does not care for people in our profession.” Comments Leonard as he too shares a reed-weed with Saze.

Saze reaches for a glass of water and looks over to Rant z. ' So my adventure just started when I got into port. Nothing out of place.”

Rant z crosses his pawed hands. “ So you admit you have smuggled with Leonard Falloff over the years. Smuggling is a high crime to the seas but I am sure we can work around it.” rant z reaches for a saucer cup with a tea bag in it. “ Please continue.”

Saze and his crew enter one of the gentlemen establishments in the better part of town. A half-orc bouncer greets Saze and two of his men. The monkey-like man known as Beryl and the hill dwarf engineer known as Gunther Thrust “ Well if it is not Lady Hannah beloved sea captain.” inquires the half-orc bouncer dressed in a formal dress but has a bandoleer of daggers.

“ Always a pleasure to see you again Wart-breath. My friends are looking for a little fun tonight and if Katrina is available I, wish to bear with her if you know what I mean?” Eyes Saze to the half-orc bouncer.

“Be careful of that lass, Cap'n she is a thorn in Hannah's eyes. But I will get her for you tonight. What about the dwarf and monkey bard.?”

“ Monkey bard I take that as a compliment, wart-breath. I plan to make some lyrics and pay, along with play a few games of chance. What about you Ever-win?” Comments Beryl who wears a red fez hat and dark vest.

“This old hill dwarf just wants a little dwarf or stout Halfing lass and a good amount of the fine mead of this place.” inquires the gray-bearded engineer, who wears a fine vest and purple see-bee hat. Saze pats him on the shoulder and looks at the gnome ' You are just wiser than both of us ole friend. At least Dorian has taken some time off to visit his kin why we party the night away. Hook us up with some credit wart-breath.”

The half-orc looks for a set of spice as alms. ' Some of your fine spice will make the Mrs happy, Cap'n” Saze reaches into his robe and pulls out a leather pouch flashing a flintlock pistol on his belt “You and your better half must really like that paprika. There are a few extra coins for your family as well/

“ Thank you good Cap'n and have a festive night.”

Two hours later, Hannah's Haven. Saze continues. ' two hours had past and after an intimate but rough sex night, Katrina and I took some time I offered her a role aboard my vessel as my mistress outside of the sea.”

Katrina an attractive but young Tiefling female perhaps about 20-23 lies naked next to Saze. “ I have a proposition for you Katy” Katrina looks at Saze with a puzzled look “ And what is that Cap'n?”

“ My crew is in need of a female crewmate since I have a few who are built like Amazons.” Saze smirks but continues “But I seem to need a lass with your potential. If you are interested.

But do know the sea is my mistress and a lady like you is second on my list.”

“ You always said the sea was your better half but I can expect that from a pirate like you.” Speaking in a derogatory way. Katrina reaches for a Geisha robe and walks over to a pot of boiling water. “ But I will need to think about it, Cap'n”

A banging is heard at the door. KNOCK BAM KNOCK “ OPEN UP IN THERE TROLLOP! IT IS MY TIME! Saze reaches for his flintlock pistol but Katrina settles him down with a cup of hot tea

“ I'll handle Mix-zit. You just drink your tea, Cap'n” calmly speaks the Tiefling female.

Saze sips the poisoned tea in his hands.“ Yes, I am feeling a bit ill at the moment.” Saze soon collapses back onto the floor of the bedroom. Alongside the broken teacup.

Saze continues with his Solicitor. “ The morning after, I awoke in blood of Katy's next to a spiked wooden plank.” The city watch led by the half-orc bouncer storms the room in sees an Unconscious but barely alive Katrina. The city watch and a pair of healers place manacles and attend to Katy.” Cap'n Saze Abdul, under the jurisdiction of the port city of babel. I Corporal Lars places you under arrest for the charges of attempted murder and assault. How do you plead?” Saze looks at the half-giant corporal in a state of shock.

Present-day. “That's all I can remember, Solicitor. One minute I was okay with Katy the next well here I am today,” comments Saze with a look of innocence at Solicitor Rant z. “ If what you say is true lad claiming Warden Mix-zit is a hard defense since he has friends in high places.” The Solicitor massages his lion-like snout and brushes back his graying blonde mane.

“ Will you take my case?” questions Saze. Suspiciously but cautiously Solicitor Rant z shakes his head. ' I will look into it with one of my investigators. She is quite familiar with detective work. For now, hold your ground and I will speak with my team.”

Rant z rises from his seat and yells at the door. “ Guard, we are done here.” The Minotaur guard opens the door of the interview room. Saze nods his head in recognition to the older Lion-man.

Defense Investigation. 24 hours before judgment day. Rant z walks along with the wooden port and spots an attractive blue hair Triton who rises from the waters below in a seas-shell monokini swimsuit. He joins her as she dries herself off. “ Morning Dyn what news do you have for me.”' comments rant z with the studious of avoiding to watch her chest. “ Morning boss, I had a long night so I need to take a morning swim.” She reaches for a robe and points to a Tiki hut with a few morning patrons. ' Join me over at my cousin's place. For a cup of sea urchin juice”

The two walks like father and daughter Dyn raises her hand for two juices.

The two take a seat with an umbrella looking over the open seas of the port city. Dyn starts the conversation as Rant z takes a sip of the mango sea urchin juice. “ It seems the good warden; has his hands in everything from smuggling to the slave trade. Good ole Cap'n Abdul was indeed at Hannah's Haven and did sleep with Katy the victim. Lucky trollop.”

“ Abdul from I am told is a good hood and the little people like me admire him.” She sips her peach Sea urchin juice. Rant z places his drink down and looks at his chief investigator. “ What has the victim to say about that night?”

“ Oddly her story checks out except for the part where Warden Mix-zit was defending her from the good Cap'n? It's a stretch but it's hard to tell which is true.” inquires Dyn “ Where do you want to go from here boss?”

Stroking his gray blonde mane, Rant z looks at the large clock known as Little Babel. A clock tower built by the first settlers of the port city. “ Where else? Get dressed for the evidence office in watch headquarters. Maybe you deduct something with your arcane skills. I will meet you there in thirty minutes. I need to check up on my own lead.”

“ You got it, Boss.” As the two exits the tourist dock of the port city.

Two hours before court hour. Saze eats his possible last meal in bearer towers. A Hobgoblin

in similar coveralls as Saze approaches him with a shank in his left hand. Saze senses something and peers at a reflection in his drink and spots the hobgoblin coming at him. The Hobgoblin steps closer but is nabbed in his jaw by Saze's left elbow. THUD! Saze quickly throws the stunned Hobgoblin in a Jujitsu move he learned from his sister Serena. A whistle is blown as a pair of half-giant guards charge to break up the fight. “774, What are you doing it is your court date?” “Covering my Arse from that hobgoblin thug!”

The two half-giants drag Abdul away from the mess hall. Warden Mix-Zit storms past him. Yelling at the Minotaur guards who manacle the Hobgoblin. “ISOLATION!” The Hobgoblin struggles with the guards as he is exited from the mess hall. “THIS IS NOT OVER ABDUL!”

Courthouse. Saze is now wearing his best clothes as he is greeted by rant z and Dyn. His brown eyes widen at the site of the Triton investigator who now wears a sultry but professional dress. “ Cap'n Abdul this is my assistant Dyn, she has looked into your case with me. Tell him what you found out for us, Dyn?”

“Cap'n Abdul it is nice to finally meet you and a lot of your associates say you are an honorable man.” Dyn answers as she touches up her blue hair.

“I'm glad some people still consider me honorable. What do you think Dyn?” Smirks Abdul to her.

“ I'm still figuring it out but you seem like a good man. But we can talk about that later. Right now we need to talk about your case.” Dyn directs Abdul to the adjoining room followed by Rant z.

“Well Solicitor what do you have for me?” answers Abdul with frustration. “ It seems Cap'n,

the prosecutor did not follow through with the evidence and only has hearsay. Since the Victim has had a memory lapse of her incident. Saying you were attacking her and the Warden

was protecting her. Which sounds like a bunch of Malarkey.”

What about you Rant z what can you share with us since you told me you had something else? Comments Dyn. “ I do in fact have something, I spoke with your crew Cap'n and the local small level constables, and though they say you are a smuggler. You are a man respected.”

'It seems that Judicar Grexxes worked with me on a plead and new evidence came afloat from one of the local Clerics of Arcane Investigation and it would appear. The true attacker was the half-orc bouncer who supposedly was paid off by someone from their evidence discovered.”

“ I am not sure what they did but it seems that physical evidence is more important than hearsay evidence.” Inquires Rant z. “The pleading was for you to be only a passing tourist and cease all smuggling operations in this city. Though you are guilty of smuggling you are not

guilty of assault. So the Judiciary has exonerated you on assault but you are not exonerated for smuggling. We worked out a fee and you will pay the city a good percent of tariffs to cover your smuggling operations.”

“That is a sign of relief but how much we talking, Solicitor?” questions suspiciously Abdul.

“ About 5000 gold pieces, which includes my service fees.” replies Rant z.

“ I guess me and the crew need to step aside from Hannah's Haven.” shrugs Abdul

“By the way, Cap'n: the victim said you asked her to fly off with you. But since what has happened is there still an opening for a female crew member with my talents,” smirks Dyn. She turns to Rant z, “ Thanks for your support these last couple of years, Boss but I think the open sea is calling me again. I was thinking about joining the good Captain here. If he is still looking for a crew member and a fine cook.” seductively smiles at Saze.

“ I always knew you were sea-bound, Dyn and if the good Cap'n, hires you it will take off a percentage of my fee. But I must, insist you give her a fair share of my fee.” proposes Rant z.

“I think we can work something out. Thank you Solicitor and Dyn for believing me.”

The trio shakes hand and is quickly joined by Beryl, Ever-win and the centaur know as Dorian. '” Are we on time, Skipper?” comments Beryl

“I can tell you about it over a couple of drinks, Solicitor and Dyn care to share in a victory drink and meal. My treat of course, that prison food was horrendous” comments Saze Abdul.

The End.

.         

November 28, 2020 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.