5 comments

Coming of Age Holiday

Giant teardrops lay shimmering on the cold sand. Leo examined them from every angle, marvelling at nature's artistry. "Look, Dylan, you can see where the iceberg split from.... I think it's called The Breiðamerkursandur glacier. " He knew exactly what it was called and took great pleasure pronouncing it correctly. Dylan, who was more enthralled by his phone than by Diamond Beach, barely regarded the prodigious jewels. He stuffed the device back into his pocket just as his Father turned around. They only landed the previous day, and 'Dylan, get off your phone' has already become the holiday tagline. Leo felt his jaw clench.

Bite your tongue. You have to spend the week together, don't make things tense.

The kid didn't know how lucky he was. Leo would have killed for this trip when he was sixteen. Had he come here with his own Father, as initially planned, they would've spent the week hiking, fishing, and exploring, just like they used to. However, Dylan, who seldom left the confines of his room, could barely manage their mile-long walk to the beach.

As the dimming sky mirrored itself in the crystal lagoon, Leo felt a pain of sadness. The Northern Lights would soon be visible, that Celestial dance of luminous waves. But His Father, whose love for 'Aurora' began after seeing it on a postcard he received from his brother, wouldn’t be here to witness it.

For his seventy-fifth birthday, with no signs of failing health, Leo surprised his Dad with a trip to Iceland. The stoic man lit up like a child and called the gift a “dream come true." He was so set on going even a sudden heart attack couldn't dissuade him. Reality soon set in, however, and he passed on a week later. Before he died, he asked Leo to honour their trip and "give my love to Aurora. Bring your boy along with you." Leo knew it would be a painful journey, but he kept his promise.

As they stood on the ice-bound beach, Dylan's chattering teeth click-click-clicked like an engine struggling to start. The harsh Icelandic gale was gathering strength, testing the endurance of their windproof coats. Dylan jumped at Leo's suggestion that they retreat to their cabin. If not for his son's obvious discomfort, however, Leo would have gladly stayed longer. They trudged through the dense blanket of snow, Dylan cursing the claggy ground as it enveloped his feet. Leo treated their trek as a workout, swinging his burly legs with exaggerated vigour. However, his stride was broken by the many 'rest-breaks' they had to take. He wondered how a lean sixteen-year-old could be so unfit but thought better of commenting on it.

After a mile or so, they arrived at the cabin, their wind-slapped faces burning bright red. Leo slipped his hand from his woollen glove. It felt like operating an arcade claw machine as, with stiff, numb fingers, he fumbled for the keys. A rapid drumming sound pecked in his ears as Dylan, shivering on the timber deck, tapped his foot with growing impatience. Leo shot him a nettled look before unlocking the door. Dylan dashed inside and made for the kitchen. The sweet creak of press doors opening prompted Leo's burgeoning appetite.

"Good idea, " he hollered, yanking his foot from the vamp of his boot, "I'm starving. Make me one as well, will you?"

Dylan emerged from the kitchen empty-handed, save for a long white cord. "Just grabbing my charger, phone's almost dead."

By the look on his Father's face, you'd think Dylan had used the cable as a whipping rod. But the day's irritations had taken their toll, harmless pebbles rapping against the glass until finally it cracked.

"You've been glued to that stupid phone since we got here; what's so important that it can't wait a week? "

The words shot from his mouth with the ferity of a snapping rubber band.

Dylan stuttered a reply. "There's just some stuff going on."

Leo threw his arms up in a wide gesture. "Look around you, this is going on, but clearly, you're not interested." He shook his head. " I don't know why you bothered coming at all."

Dylan's eyes were glassy. "Because Mam asked me to."

Was that supposed to be funny? What's wrong with this kid?

"Fine," said Leo, "Forget the whole thing. We'll leave tomorrow, how about that?" Before a shocked Dylan could reply, Leo stormed into his bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

He collapsed on the bed and sank into the foamy mattress. Already, regret was pouring in. This wasn't Dylan's fault; Leo had expected too much of him. It was like casting a mouse into the sea and telling it to swim. Perhaps they should leave tomorrow; the delicate threads of their relationship were stretched enough already.

As he turned on his side, burying his cheek in the feathery pillow, his Father's face flashed in his mind. Aurora. He glanced out the window as black clouds were cloaking the sky.

It’ll be impossible to see her unless those clouds clear.

It didn't matter. He had to try.

After a brief and nonrestorative rest, Leo braced himself for the barbarous night. Once more, he donned his Winter gear, adding a fresh pair of fleece socks, and squeezed into his hiking boots. As he trudged down the hall, he spied Dylan in the living room, hunched on a futon, head buried in the screen. Leo cleared his throat. "I'm going to see the lights. You can come if you want."

Dylan didn't budge, throwing his Father a cold side-eye. He then rose from his seat and retreated to his bedroom. Sighing, Leo shambled to the hall, grabbed his gear bag and rooted out a headlamp. He strapped the elastic band around his crown and clicked the rubber button. A beam of blue light bounced off the walls.

It might be the only light you see tonight.

He unfastened the latch, gripping the door before the wind slammed it back.

Too late to turn back now.

As he stepped onto the snow-slushed deck, a heavy thud sounded behind him. Dylan emerged from his room wearing similar gear, though his boots were clearly a size too big. Leo pursed his lips as a broad smile broke through. "You sure? " he said, gesturing outside.

Dylan nodded. "We promised Grandad."

Only then, as a rush of relief flooded in, did Leo realise how scared he felt venturing out alone. Hearing Dylan's words filled him with not just pride but warm companionship.

"Okay, " he said, "ready when you are. "

The two voyagers lumbered their way through the frosty terrain. Leo gripped his phone with a gloved hand, staring at the topograph he had installed the night before. "We're heading north", he said, shouting over the yelping wind. "That's where the lights shine from."

Dylan, taking long, irregular strides, offered a shaky thumbs up.

Each step was a battle against the blustering gale. Still, had they been able to see their footprints, they'd realise how far they'd walked. Perhaps it was this thought that struck Leo as he made a sudden halt. "What is it?" asked Dylan. The wind had begun to settle, though the sky was no less murky. "I don't get it," said Leo. "We've been walking north for twenty minutes. According to this, the sky should have cleared." His eyes were fixed on the screen as if his steely gaze might sway the elements. Dylan's hand covered his mouth, but Leo could see the laughter in his eyes. "What's so funny?" he said.

Dylan chuckled aloud. "Who's glued to their phone now? "

Leo couldn't help grinning. "Smart ass,” he said, nudging his son on the shoulder. It was clear from Dylan's face that he had more to say. Leo didn't probe. It felt like approaching a baby deer; one wrong step could scare him off. A few steps later, Dylan said, "Sorry about today. There's just... " he squirmed his lips, perhaps regretting that he opened them all, "stuff I needed to check. "

"Stuff," said Leo? choosing his words delicately. There was a long pause before Dylan piped up again.

Thomas had a party at his house last night; I saw the pictures online. Kelly was at it. I think she and Thomas... " He looked away, either out of embarrassment or anger.

"Who's Kelly? " asked Leo.

"Just a girl I know," said Dylan before shaking his head and declaring it "doesn't matter."

Leo said, "If you like her, you shouldn’t let this throw you off."

"I said It doesn't matter." Dylan kicked the snow, sending a white spray into the air. "Thomas is tall and sporty; all the girls love him, including her.” Whatever he was feeling, he tried to mask it with a thin-lipped smile before walking a few steps ahead. Leo stalled for a moment, peering at something behind him. He smiled to himself and then caught up with Dylan. "I know it's disappointing," he said as they continued their journey.

"Dad, I don't... "

"I mean The Northern Lights; I don't think we'll see them tonight."

"Oh," said Dylan.

"It's those big clouds," said Leo, "they don't let you see the sky as it is."

Dylan gave a dispirited grunt.

Leo continued on, "Of course, the attraction of the magnetic field might not be strong enough here. Attraction is strange that way, ebbing and flowing in weird directions. It doesn't always make sense. "

Leo couldn't be sure if Dylan was even listening. Still, laying a hand on his shoulder, he said, "Sometimes nature isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we give up. Let's head back, warm ourselves up and hope things go better next time."

Dylan's face looked small as he shrank into his large hood. "Okay, Dad," he said, forcing a smile. However, as he turned around, his pale eyes lit up like stars.

"Then again," said Leo, “sometimes we get lucky."

Far in the distance were The Northern Lights, a streaming prism of purples and greens winding across the marble earth. Dylan erupted into joyous laughter.

"I was so set on going north because that's where the light comes from," said Leo, "but it's a big sky; if you just stare in one place, you might miss something."

The cold which had gnawed at their bones vanished as they stood transfixed.

"Grandad would have loved this," said Dylan.

Leo smiled.

"We're not really going home tomorrow, Dad, are we?"

"You think you can manage a whole week if this?" said Leo, giving him a challenging look.

Dylan gazed at Aurora as she sailed towards the heavens. "I think I'm getting used to it."

January 13, 2024 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Radek Michalik
19:29 Jan 20, 2024

Lovely story! I really enjoyed the multiple setups and (reverse) payoffs. Moments like Dylan getting the phone cord instead of food, or him retreating into his room and then emerging dressed to go outside. I find this keeps me more engaged with the story! Also the overall metaphor for interpersonal relationships being like an occasionally cloudy, dark sky really worked for me, as did the way it unfolds by the end of the story. Got me right in the feels, and I don't even have any kids. One small thing that was a bit unclear to me was which o...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lindsay D
21:07 Jan 17, 2024

What a sweet story. I loved the vivid imagery. I felt like I could see everything so perfectly! Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Adrian Fahy
14:50 Jan 19, 2024

Thanks Lindsay, appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:04 Jan 13, 2024

Amazing submission. The imagery is just spot on. Loved it !

Reply

Adrian Fahy
23:52 Jan 13, 2024

Thanks Stella!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.