1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Romance

Henny and Penny came to the world as eggs to be hatched in the usual way. Sapphire, who used to be ordinary Jenny, nurtured her baby chickens in their hen house in the back yard. Henny and Penny soon firmly believed they ran the hen house, which consisted of a sisterly journey.

Sapphire had been divorced some time before by her ex. His name was Blake. Unfortunately for all concerned, his dominating mother from Hell was still washing his underwear. No other woman he had craved would touch him with a 1000 foot barge pole. Sapphire spent her spare time seeking to be a peaceful pilgrim, finding the spark of goodness and human kindness in all she met.

By day, she supported herself by working in an open-plan office as a copywriter. It was sort of soul destroying, struggling in a rat-race, competing with peak hour traffic. Sapphire got to work and was now embroiled in creatively composing ads about rubber extrusions and tire treads for a national rubber firm. Her next labor was to write some appealing promotions for rubber pool toys.

Her housemate, Emma, only thirty years young, suddenly leaned over their partition between desks. "Hey, got an urgent appeal for a helping hand. You know the other spare bedroom? We could do with an extra income for the noodles and bills...."

Sapphire looked and looked again. The beggar for her spare bedroom to sublet was not a female. But did that matter? Rowan stepped over from his desk, and told her a tale of suburban misery. He was looking at couch surfing, or sleeping in his car with no shower, if he could not lease a room in the neighborhood.

"I am clean and tidy, quiet and sober. I shall respect your space. I hope you can lease me a room. Much appreciated." Rowan spoke well, he too had a journalism degree after all.

Sapphire was soon the den-mother of a suburban community, being their senior. Rowan giggled at Henny and Penny, lining up at the back door in the rain, giving the new rooster in the hen house the once over. Rowan was quite impressed, his room was pleasant and quite spacious. Far better than his last share house, where one of his flatmates had ended up throwing bourbon cans at the drug squad. Who needed that melodrama?

Rowan asked Sapphire about free range eggs from the hens for breakfast, he could cook his signature scrambled eggs. Sapphire looked slightly askance, for despite her purchasing top quality, expensive shell grit and pellets, Henny and Penny somehow did not participate in egg laying. Sapphire believed that all creatures had unique powers of understanding. Humans do have stewardship over the other species on this rare jewel, our planet.

So Sapphire, Emma and Rowan combined some of their budget, enjoying some store bought egg dishes, free range and natural. Rowan lived up to his nature, he took care of his own chores, did not miss any share house budget, and kept his own peace.

One evening, Sapphire noticed a text on her phone from Blake. He wanted to get remarried, and told her that she was his one, their divorce was all a terrible mistake. Sapphire instantly felt like telling him to drop off the face of planet Earth, and take his mother with him. But no, seeking her pilgrim of peaceful goodness, she just texted, "There is no turning back. Yesterday is only history."

Rowan kept his peace too. He was not that traditionally tall, or handsome, but he was a respectful type of guy. Sapphire found herself enjoying his quiet sense of fun, quirky. They shared coffees and groans about their office politics, then retreated to their own space, really compatible. Nothing to grumble about really.

Rowan and Sapphire were practically the same age, in their early forties. Emma did her own thing with her gal pals, or occasional dates with men she met online. One night, Sapphire asked Rowan, "Do you ever date anyone?"

"No," he replied, "I used to. I have never been blessed with a wife or children, only work. But we're never too old to fall in love." With that enigmatic comment, he went to his own room.

Sapphire decided to take that at face value. Maybe Rowan was being philosophical himself. Or was he? Maybe they were getting under each other's skin, full of kindness and peaceful habits. "Not to worry," she told herself, as she gazed at a pamphlet for a trillion trees campaign and convention. It was being held at the alternative town of Hallow Hallow, some distance away, but in the same state. Should she invite Rowan for a brotherly weekend?

'What a good idea!" Rowan said when Sapphire showed him the brochure. "We can share the driving in my car.' So the two professional writers ventured on an adventure of their own choosing, taking a Friday off work to travel. They had booked separate rooms, and Emma was feeding Henny and Penny for the long weekend.

Motoring along through the savannas and rolling hills, the maybe/maybe not potential couple enjoyed their trip, laughing and singing along to their shared passion for good old country music, with guitars softly serenading. After a beautiful meal, they said good night, and slept well.

Saturday morning found Sapphire and Rowan celebrating tree planting and a sponsored walk for fund raising to plant even more. They quite liked each other as exercise buddies too. Following that, the main street of Hallow Hollow turned into a street market, all shops and stalls on display.

Incense filled the air, as the two sauntered along, wacky tobaccy evident too. Batik and Tai-dye caftans were still there, scented candles, crystals and energy healers to consult, tarots read, long hair and matted dreadlocks, alternative everything but still pricey. Yes, big SUV wheels and suburban cowboys were there too, aping the early days, when all was hippy goodness and holistic.

Before dusk descended, Rowan said, "Let's take a drive down the river road. I found something online to share with you." So he drove Sapphire to a farm, the site of a free range chicken farm, on a large scale. The sign said, "Manager wanted. Apply within."

Bemused, Sapphire looked around, finding contentment in the emerald pastures and surrounding forests. Hens clucked nearby, before being herded back to their pens for the night, Rowan took her arm, as they headed to the farm house. "We could do this together,": he said, "There's a job I could do teaching writing part-time at the alternative school. Learning and life should not be a race. If you want, there is even a print local newspaper here, the Hallow Hollow's Courier. Journalist wanted."

"But it's a life-changing decision."

"Yes, but Emma wants to go her own way. We can give it a year, see how we like the free ranging tree change. Yesterday is history."

Rowan had echoed her words, were they finally bonding? So Sapphire and Rowan were soon installed as managers of the free range chicken farm, producing upmarket free range organic eggs for Hallow Hollow, and supermarkets.

Henny and Penny went along for this trip, still sisters forever. Sapphire did not know if she was ever going to be too old to fall in love, if Rowan could offer a cup of timeless love, to be her rooster in the hen house. At the moment, it was all really metaphysical. But their tomorrows were a mystery, looking for goodness in everyone.

July 12, 2024 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
01:00 Jul 13, 2024

Have a hunch Henny and Penny know a thing or two.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.