4 comments

Romance Suspense Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

CEDRIC

I glanced down at my watch, my nerves on edge, foot tapping impatiently on the tile floor. 3:47 p.m. She was usually here by now. Cecille. One of the most beautiful souls I had ever seen. I came across her existence 3 or so months ago. From that moment on, I knew we had a connection. I was sure she felt it too.


She came in around 3:10 p.m. on the dot every day. Her order also remained the same—small chai tea latte, sweet cold foam on top, and a blueberry scone. I always made it specially for her and made sure I worked when she came to pick it up, just so I could see her take a sip and moan in satisfaction. She was such a tease.


I looked at my watch again, 3:51 p.m. and still no sign of my precious girl. I hope she’s okay. Maybe my present was too much too soon. Next to me, I could hear my coworkers talking about the news, pulling me out of my worrisome thoughts. Murder.


A 35-year-old man had been slaughtered in the comfort of his own home as well as decapitated. It was a sad day for his company, wife, and children, they said. The police said it looked like a crime of passion, and I smirked to myself. If that’s what they wanted to call it.


I looked down at my watch again. 4:05 p.m. Cecille still hadn’t appeared. I decided I would go check on her. She was more important than this repetitive and quite boring job. With that in mind, I told my boss I had to leave. “Family emergency.” I had said to my disturbingly greasy manager.


He gave me a flick of his fingers as if saying he didn’t care and I left soon after that. It didn’t take me that long to arrive at Cecille’s place. There were police cars lined along the street, along with news reporters. Yellow tape was shone all over the big red brick home. I parked a few houses down, not wanting to be a part of the big crowd. I could see Cecille’s car was parked out in the driveway—a red Mercedes. Polished and pretty, just like her.


I got out of my car and watched from the distance. There was no sight of Cecille, but I knew she was there somewhere and I would wait patiently until I caught sight of her.


After about 15 minutes of watching the scene dial down, I caught sight of my red-headed beauty. She looked like she had been crying, her face puffy and pink. What’s wrong, my darling? Did you not like my present?


Her hair was tied up in a messy bun and she was wearing her signature silk pajamas. Her arms were crossed over her perky chest as she spoke to an officer. Probably due to not wearing a bra. Always teasing me.


Unexpectedly, her dark eyes flicked over in my direction. She stared for a moment before pointing her manicured finger right at me. Oh no. What are you doing, angel? I thought we were keeping this a secret.


I turned away from the scene in a flash, climbing into my car and speeding off, my pulse deafening in my ears. I didn’t dare look back until I knew I was far, far away. I felt betrayed, but I knew she didn’t intend to hurt me. It was all apart of the plan. She was just playing the part.


So, I decided I would wait to see her tomorrow. At 3:10 p.m. on the dot.




CEDRIC

It was that time. I watched the door and right then, my angel walked right into the café. She had her hair down, cascading into smooth waves down her back, and her skin was glowing. She wore a silk white dress that ended right at her knees. It was the perfect contrast from her bright hair. Gorgeous.


I was ready when she walked to the register, her drink and food sitting next to me. Her eyes were in tune with mine, a small smile gracing her ruby lips.


 “Good morning. The usual?” I said to her when she finally made it to me, a big grin on my face.


She laughed, her head tilting back slightly. “You know me so well.”


I mocked her laugh and rung her up. “So, I noticed you didn’t come in yesterday? Everything okay?”


She stared at me for a moment, an emotionless look on her face. A small amount of anxiety caused my heart rate to pick up. Are you mad at me?


Finally, after what felt like a million years, she smiled that kilowatt smile, and I sighed in relief. “Oh, you know, just had to deal with some unexpected things. I’m sure you know how that goes.”


I nodded and handed her the drink and scone. “Don’t I? But everything happens for a reason. As I always say.”


“Right.” She said, grabbing the items from me. I watched as she took a sip of the latte I prepared for her, and right on cue, she moaned. A wonderful sound.


“Always so good...Cedric.” I froze when I heard her say my name. She had never said my name, but I wanted to hear it again, and again. “You know, we should do something. I want to pay you back for always preparing this for me. What about dinner?”


Were my ears deceiving me? “Dinner?” I almost gasped out.


“Yes, dinner. Soriano’s. 8 o’clock. I’ll make the reservation.”


“Okay.” I said, my nerves bursting with excitement.


“Perfect. See you then. Don’t be late.” She walked away.


“Never.” I whispered, watching her go.




CEDRIC

7:58. p.m. I showed up 30 minutes prior and was sitting in a secluded area of the unbelievably expensive restaurant. It was dimly lit but still gave a full view of the entrance. Cecille still hadn’t showed up but I knew I would be seeing her soon. I sat impatiently, leg bobbing up and down, watching the people around me. I enjoyed the fact that she was introducing me to her type of environment—classy and expensive. Just like her.


8:00 p.m. I saw her hair before I saw her. Right on time. She sashayed in wearing a white pantsuit that was cut low on the chest, red stilettos gracing her feet. Her hair was parted to the side and pinned back, giving you a full view of her slim face. Beautiful. All for me.


Instead of stopping at the front desk, she walked in the direction of our table. I stood up when she made it over and pulled out her chair.


“Good evening. You look beautiful.”


“Thank you. You don’t look too bad yourself.” She said smiling, eyeing my white button up and crème-colored slacks.


I thanked her in return, watching her take her seat before I took mine. “So, how was your day?”


“It was long and upsetting. I don’t really want to talk about it.” She looked sad; her full lips pointed downward. What is wrong, my sweet beauty?


I leaned forward and placed my hand on top of hers. “You can talk to me, Cecille.”


She gazed upon my hand on hers and then sighed. “Okay, well my husband just…died. He was killed in our home. It happened so unexpectedly.” Her voice was shaking, she was about to cry. “He was a good man. I don’t know who would do that type of thing.”


Her eyes went to me. She was watching me for a reaction. I see what you’re doing here. Crying in public and keeping us in private. Smart woman.


“I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s terrible.”


She pulled her hand from under mine and wiped her damp face. “Yes, it is. But what I want to know is…why?”


What did she just say?


“I’m sorry?” Her eyes were throwing daggers at me as she regarded me with absolute disgust. Cecille? What are you doing?


“You heard me. Why? Why me?”


My heart was down in my feet. I could feel the nerves running down my spine along with a new buildup of sweat. I was confused. Why was she doing this?


“Cecille…” I reached out to her. She leaned away from me. Her eyes read nothing less of hatred.


“Don’t touch me! Answer my question.” She spit out.


“Cecille. I thought this was what you wanted.” I reached out to her again. Why is she acting like this?


She looked at me in disbelief and scoffed, standing up so fast from the table that her chair fell with a loud thud.


“Are you crazy?”


Before I could respond, she pulled a .380 caliber out of her pocket and pointed it right at me. “Cecille! What are you doing?” I froze, my hands up as I eyed the weapon in her delicate hand.


Was she going to shoot me? No! She wouldn’t. We were in love. I did this for her. She knew that.


“Something I should have done a while ago.”


“Ceci-“


Bang!


Burning hot pain enveloped me as the bullet plunged through my chest. I threw my hand up to the wound in shock, feeling the warm liquid pour from the fresh wound, looking at the woman in front of me in disbelief. My love.


“Cecille.” I coughed out. “Why would- “ Bang! Bang!


Two more bullets sunk into my chest—the pain became unbearable to the point it was almost numb. I choked on the blood filling my esophagus, falling out of the chair onto the wood flooring. My vision blurred and with the little strength I had, I pushed myself over onto my side.


Cecille walked over to me, and stared over me and at that moment I realized she didn’t understand. She didn’t understand that I would do anything to have her. She didn’t understand how deep our souls connected. She didn’t understand how much I longed for her.


But just before I was gone, she knelt down next to me and whispered in my ear, “Thank you, and good bye, my love.” Then she planted the lightest kiss on my cheek, and walked away.

 

You’re welcome, my darling.





September 15, 2022 16:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Charlie Murphy
17:55 Sep 19, 2022

Great job! Loved the drama! So, Cecile wanted Cedric to kill her husband? Is that why she thanked him after she shot him?

Reply

Daisa Barbour
18:38 Sep 19, 2022

Thank you! And yes, exactly! I’m glad you got it.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
18:58 Sep 19, 2022

You're welcome. Can you read my story, Beth's Diaper Adventure?

Reply

Daisa Barbour
01:24 Sep 20, 2022

Sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.