4 comments

Sad Inspirational Fiction

The rising sun cast an orange glow over my grandmother's farm. Flowers that we just recently planted were flaunting beautiful yellow, pink, and white petals. The window sill was covered in a light layer of morning dew. My grandmother always loved mornings, not too hot and not too cold. 

My grandmother.

She was my everything, as she was to everyone who knows her...or knew her. My face contorted with sadness as I remembered the day I found out.

Three days ago I was making breakfast with Grammy. We talked about school, boys, grades, and if I had planted anything new in my small garden at home. I said that I’d planted all different kinds of marigolds as they were her favorite flower, and with a quick embrace, she thanked me. Spending my summers with her on her farm was the highlight of my life.

Three days ago we were planting flowers in the front yard when she went into a terrible coughing fit.

Three days ago I found out my grandmother had cancer.

She had refused to get it treated as she hated to have someone take care of her.

Sweet, stupid Grammy.

She'd known she was going to die for months now but still refused to do anything about it.

She was the only person I lived for. My parents are monsters, I have hardly any friends, and I have no siblings. I survived knowing I'd get to see her.

Now she's gone.

I staunched the tears that had begun to trickle down my face with my sleeve. A sleeve that smelled like Grammy's perfume.

I crumpled to the floor, balling my knees to my chest. I sobbed.

Grammy hated to see me cry. 

I forced myself to take control of my emotions and stand. Although shaking I made it to the living room.

The living room was the heart of the small country home, and Grammy spent most of her days there. At least she used to.

Nothing had changed. Dust still covered the old grandfather clock and not a single one of her antiques had been touched. Well except for the ones that were moved to make room for her urn.

I collapsed onto the couch in tears, unable to control the onslaught of memories consuming me.

I cried about the days I would spend wishing to come and see her. I cried about her strong arms and soft grip. I cried because I knew I'd never get to see her again.

I took deep breaths finally in control of my feelings. Taking the urn off of the mantle I held it like the priceless object it was. I walked slowly outside, engraving the sounds of floorboards creaking and soft wind blowing into my brain.

I reached the center of the field where the wind whipped my hair out to the side. I smiled sadly.

Opening the urn I watched Grammy's ashes disappear into the wind. I felt numb as if nothing could ever fill the hole that her death had created. I sat down in the field of soft grass and held the urn to my chest.

"I love you Grammy" I whispered

I forced myself to stand. 

I made my way back inside as I saw the storm clouds filling the sky. I set the urn on the couch and went back into the kitchen to make breakfast. 

I numbly pulled out the ingredients to make a cake. Only after making it did I realize that I had made chocolate cake, my grandmother’s favorite. 

I shoved all thoughts of sadness away as I slapped some frosting onto the still-steaming dessert. 

After finishing I sliced a piece of cake, the frosting melted and disgusting, and walked over to the stairs. I sat down and rested the plate on my knee. I took in the rooms I could see. 

The living room would soon be emptied of its priceless objects, and memories. The kitchen would soon be scrubbed clean of the small handprints splattering the wall, and the many pictures that covered the refrigerator. I closed my eyes, letting the last few tears trickle down my cheek before wiping them away and taking a large bite of the cake. 

There was no way I would be able to keep the house, I was an eighteen-year-old girl still in school, and I worked at a fast food restaurant; there was no possibility of keeping the house unless…

What if I just moved here?

I could sell the crops I grew at the farmers' market, I would be able to live off the land, and I could do school online, it would be perfect. 

I scarfed down the rest of the cake, an idea forming in my head. I pushed the sadness in remembering Grammy to the back of my mind and brought all of her most inspiring moments to the front. 

Her telling me to never give up. Follow my dreams. Hard work is very rewarding. 

With all of this in mind, I shoved the remaining cake into the fridge, threw the dishes into the sink, and ran outside, my mind churning with ideas. 

I awoke with a huge smile on my face. 

I had been living at Grammy’s farm for almost three months now and everything was working out perfectly. I was regularly set up at the farmer’s market, and living off of the simple fruits and veggies I grew wasn’t as hard as I had originally thought. I was taking college classes, and doing well. Everything was perfect. 

Everything except for Grammy. 

With her here, it would really be perfect. But she is here. I put a hand over my heart and looked outside at the refurbished and beautifully green crops. 

“You’ll always be with me Grammy, and I hope you’re proud.”

I smiled, this time in joy instead of remorse. I knew that ever since my grandmother died she had never left my side, and I knew she never would. Now as I looked out into the morning sunrise I saw her kind face smiling back at me.

November 09, 2022 11:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ela Mikh
22:05 Nov 16, 2022

So beautiful. I can do relate. Thank you for writing

Reply

Kayla Traylor
14:49 Nov 30, 2022

Thank you I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abigail Arnold
20:07 Nov 14, 2022

I like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abigail Arnold
20:05 Nov 14, 2022

Very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.