Oh Deer!

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story set in a salon or barbershop.... view prompt

1 comment

General

The day was a normal day. Just like every time I come in for a haircut. I waited and waited for my turn and saw the concentration of the crowd in the salon to get less and less until there was only an old lady sitting on the chair with a magazine in her hand.

" Jonathan!", cried the barber.

I saw a head turn towards me. The barber: a short lady with pink glasses. She had so much makeup on, her lips were red because of the lipstick and her eyes were pink from the eyeshadow. Her hair was kind of messy and she had it back in a ponytail. She looked me in the eyes with her glasses on her nose. I got up and straightened my outfit. I walked towards the chair she was standing next to. I sat down and she wrapped me in the black sheet to prevent hair from getting on my clothes.

The lady started working on my hair. It was complete silence except for the noises coming from the razor. The silence was broken when the old lady sneezed loud. It gave me slight anxiety that my hair got messed up but thankfully it didn't. Soon enough, the lady started telling me random stories that got me yawning. I just wanted this to be over with.

The barber was just about to finish with my hair when I hear the window glass shattering. Just when the glass shatters, a weird shaped with what seemed like horns enters through the window through the back. That made me stand up.

" Oh, dear! What is that?", the old lady exclaimed as she saw it jump past her just about close to hit her in the face.

The barber started screaming and picked up her phone. As she picked up her phone, the deer came with a flat iron stuck to its horns

"My flat iron!", the lady yelled.

The deer paused for a moment looked around. Perhaps the attention calmed it down.

The deer exited through the "exit" door. What surprised me is that it read "exit" pretty well but did not know the difference between the glass window and the "front door."

But one thing is for sure. Either the deer was playing a flat iron hunt with his mates or it was just about the time to go to the salon.

Barber's POV:

I dial the number to the insurance company to ask them if they can cover me. I have seen many ads where a deer breaks into a place and they assure that they will cover you. I have been trying to dial the insurance for hours now. Finally, a lady picks up the phone.

" Hello, how may I help you today", said the lady.

" So a deer broke into my shop today and I was wondering if you guys would cover my expenses", I asked.

The lady was shocked. I could feel that she was trying hard not to laugh.

" Ummm... I might have to ask because I don't know if we can" she said.

" But I will try my best to get back to you. Just leave your name and number and we will get back to you", she said.

I hang up the phone. This means that I have to keep my salon closed and I will suffer so many losses.

I wake up to hear my phone ringing. I get up and zoom to my phone. I see the contact name: ALA Insurance Company. I pick up the phone.

"Hello, is this Anastasia?", she said.

"Yes, it is.", I said

" We regret to inform you that we can not cover you. Your story just sounds like you made it up. I am so sorry". she said.

I hung up the phone disappointed. I look at my bank account savings to see...

I have enough money to fix the damages in my salon and even renovate my salon!

So those long hours of wait were for nothing...

Jonathan's POV:

When I got home after this weird incident, I went straight to my room. I was taking off my watch when I noticed something in the middle of the hair. When turned my head towards the mirror, I couldn't believe my eyes.

There was a line straight down the center of my head. She had ruined my hair!! I looked at the time. I had enough time to go to the salon and to get this fixed. I ran downstairs, grabbed my car keys, and got to my car. I rushed to the salon which was about a 10-minute drive from my house. I run to the salon after I park in the back to see the lady still here.

She had locked the doors. I knocked on the door and she opened up.

"Hi! Sorry, we are closed. You can come back tomorrow" she said in a cheerful voice.

Just as she was about to the close the door, I grab the door handle stopping her from closing the door.

" Look what you have done to my hair! I can't keep my hair like that. Please fix them", I yelled.

She let me in and made me sit down on the chair. She put the black sheet on me just like she did before. She plugged in her razors and hair dryers and started working on my hair.

" I am so sorry sir. I just panicked when the deer came in and then this happened", she said in a low voice.

" It's fine, it isn't your fault. I mean anyone would panic", I said in a reassuring voice.

She ended up fixing my hair and making it better than what I actually wanted. I gave her money because I forget to give her that after the deer incident. I even gave her an extra tip for letting me in even if she was closed. I walked to my car while spinning my car keys in my hand. When I got in my car and tried to start my car, it did not work. I tried over and over but no luck.

Just as I was about to give up, I see the barber. She has her bag on her elbows and her coffee mug probably from this morning in her hand. She sees me trying to fix my car and walks over.

" Hey, do you need help?", she asked.

" Yeah, do you mind giving me a jumpstart. My car isn't working for some reason", I said.

She went over to her car and parked it right in front of my car. She got the jumpstart wires and jumpstarted my car. When I got in my car, it finally worked. I thanked the lady and got in the car to go home. As I drove home, I thought about one thing:

This lady sure did make my day.


March 19, 2020 00:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Corbin O'Skinny
20:54 Mar 26, 2020

I liked seeing your story written from different Points of Views! I like novels that do this and you managed it in a short story. Honestly, as I started reading I skipped a few paragraphs because it felt like too slow (maybe the repetitions "waited and waited"... "less and less")... but as I got to the deer I made myself go back and re-read the beginning. I liked the deer! Lots of laughs here. Very entertaining. Nice ending with a moral without explicitly saying it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.