59 comments

Creative Nonfiction Contemporary Sad

This story contains sensitive content

For family members of terminally ill individuals.


You take your time walking down the aisle, running your hand along the rows of skeins, giving each a gentle squeeze. Some are fluffy, thick cords of feathery fibers, while others are fuzzy like one long rope of pom poms. Some are thinner, strings of intertwining wool and cotton and silk, acrylic even. Some are rougher, not like hemp, but textured like a thousand individual hairs twisted together. You can feel the invisible fly away strands spiking upwards and yielding down against your touch.


The color doesn’t matter. You don’t need it to be pretty or bright or patterned. Some might tell you it should remind you of her; pick her favorite color. You might even be tempted to pick your own favorite color. But you know that’s not why you’re doing this. You know it won’t matter once it’s done. You just need it to feel right. You know there are many hours ahead of you, many hours of this yarn sliding against your fingers, pinched between the tips.


They said thirteen months. Google says less than three years. You have time, but not enough.


You’ve never made a blanket before. You’ve tried, but you've never quite made it to the end, always giving up halfway. You think of the first one you made, stuffed into a tote bag, left under your bed somewhere. But you can’t pick that one up again and try to finish it. That was for a boy, a boy you don’t even love anymore. You don’t even talk to that boy anymore. You understand why you didn’t finish that blanket and why you have to finish this one. You understand why they are two very different blankets. You understand why you have to start fresh.



No, you’ve never made a blanket before. But you’ve never grieved a loss before it’s happened, either.


Anticipatory grief, your therapist called it.


When your hand lands on this yarn, it is nothing extraordinary. It is soft, but not like the faux fur throw on your couch that instantly makes you sigh against its comforting touch. It is not soft like the fuzzy sweater you wear to work on foggy days without a shirt underneath because it is so cozy you feel like you haven’t even left bed. No, the skein in your hands is not like that. It's not the fluffy cotton or fuzzy wool you'd transform for an infant, wanting them to know instantly that the world is a good place. No, this yarn is for someone who has seen the ruthlessness of the world but still seeks out its kindness. It is soft. Just enough.


It is like her. It is like you. The duality of it is what makes you want to inspect further.


You finger the end of the roll and effortlessly move between the thin strands, working your way into the center, your favorite part. The density hugs your finger. You grip it back. This bundle is a mandala of blues and whites. The color doesn’t matter, but you can’t help but think of her eyes.


This is the one. You grab three. It’s enough to get you started.


You have a needle at home. You feel the urge, the empty hands, all day, but the sun is down when you begin. It starts with a knot, like the one in your stomach at your father’s voice when he told you. Like the one in your shoelaces when you were seven, calling her name from the living room floor, announcing proudly that you finally did it all by yourself, and her voice ringing back, proudly: "You did it!" You catch a bit of yarn on the end of your needle, then pull it through itself, think of your mother’s fingers working the same needle. She taught you how to hook, wrap, pull, and stitch together.


Your hands move quickly, and the yarn glides the way you thought it would between your fingers. It is soft, but if you pull too hard, if you think too much, it will burn; the friction will make your skin raw. It is how you imagined her voice when she found out that your father told you. It is like her laugh at the fair when you didn't want to ride the dragon roller coaster, and she dismissively pushed you towards it. Laughter is for when things are funny, but you were scared. Her laugh was soft, but it burned. She smiled, but it hurt.


She didn’t want you to know. She was in denial, like she was about you at the fair. You’re not scared. But you were. And she is.


You tug the yarn through, onto the third row and the colors have changed twice. She’s frustrated, sad, tired, and now you are frustrated, sad, tired. You feel it in your fingers. You know each of them well, and they all make you wince. You tug hard when you are mad. You loosen up the stitch when you forgive. You pull harder when you remember you are being forced to forgive.


As time passes, your blanket gets longer, covering your lap. In the summer, when you work on it, you are too hot. In the winter, you spend more hours on it, plucking through cramping hands. You continue unwrapping the bundle, because like hope, you might only need just one more pull. These things take time.


Over the months, your mother doesn’t tell you how she is doing. Says nothing about the doctor visits or test scans, only that it has spread how they said it would. But she smiles more and she laughs more and you wonder if you remembered any of it correctly. Was she the mother you thought she was?


You think about your mother’s favorite color, green, and how she Irish danced at your baby shower. You think about how you used to sit on the couch together and eat straight from the bag of Dove’s chocolates while watching movies. You remember, so vividly, her coming to your kindergarten class and playing the guitar and singing songs. You remember when you were a teenager and she told you not to swear so much because it is un-lady like. You remember telling your therapist how much you feared one day becoming like her and how you aren't yet done being angry with her. You think of all the poems you wrote about her. You think about how scared it makes you that this might happen to you one day and how guilty you feel for feeling that.



You have never made a blanket before, but every few months, you buy more yarn. Because it is something to do with your hands. Because it is something to place on an empty bed, something to fold away into a bottom drawer once the cold months have passed. Because it is something that connects you to this time in your life when you weren’t sure what you were supposed to do.


You are a mother yourself now, but right now, you feel like you are only a daughter.


Once the final knot is tied, the last of the yarn unraveled, you don’t know what it will look like. You might be angry with it. You might feel guilty for how you spent your time, how long it took you to finish it. Or it might just be a blanket, something to keep you warm in the winter, even if it leaves your chipping toenail polish out in the cold. You’re not sure what life looks like without her in it, yet.


After all, these things take time. 

October 01, 2023 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

59 comments

Kevin Logue
16:06 Oct 04, 2023

First off, you knocked the prompt way out of the park. The non visual stimulate was strong, I've walked through many a craft shop, touched many a skein, and this was just so on point. Excellently done. But the writing here, the duality of it, the parallelism, oh my. So good. The sadness and tiredness, then feeling it in your fingers whilst the blanket is under construction, so smart. The layers or rather threads of story woven together create such a rich, relatable and emotional tale. This is really beautiful in the way that only deep sad...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:46 Oct 04, 2023

Thank you for your kind words, Kevin! I'm glad the parallelism shown through. And you've picked out my favorite line, roo! I'm so glad you liked that as it was an addition to the original first draft. I'm glad I have the afterthought to include it because it is exactly what I meant. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marina Pacheco
09:55 Oct 04, 2023

What a beautiful, story and so relatable. I had a lump in my throat while reading it. I loved the description of the yarn especially I could almost feel them myself.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
12:58 Oct 04, 2023

Thank you for your kind works, Marina. I had a lump in my throat writing it! It is a true story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lei King
22:41 Oct 02, 2023

The experience of grief is undoubtedly a distressing aspect of human existence. However, the manner in which you have depicted it in this piece is truly remarkable. The various textures and nuances that you have incorporated, along with the delicate interplay of thoughts that seem to oscillate back and forth, akin to the movement of yarn through a needle, as one grapples with the inevitability of an unavoidable outcome, is truly a thing of beauty. I concur with many of the comments posted. This is a beautiful story. Thank you.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
00:10 Oct 03, 2023

Thank you, dear Lei! With something as uncontrollable as death, I find creating something with your hands to be the best way to cope. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:29 Oct 02, 2023

Sorry for your loss. Or soon to be loss. Good analogies and poetically weaved.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:18 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting, Mary. This was adapted from a poem I wrote last year so I'm pleased people are finding it poetic.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
19:10 Oct 01, 2023

Such a heart-felt story about pre-grief. Until this summer when my husband was diagnosed with cancer, I didn't know that such a thing existed. I think I still didn't know until I read your story. It is something that I've felt for months but didn't have a word for. You have beautifully captured the numbness and process of letting go, of memories flooding in to take the place of inaction, of being powerless to do something to reverse the inevitable. Some days it feels lucky to witness a slow decline instead of a sudden loss, other days it is...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:48 Oct 01, 2023

Wally, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. You are right. It is a mixture of being relieved that you still have time and torture, as you wait. I truly feel for you both. And thank you for introducing me to the word skein. My mother always just called them spools 🤷‍♀️ thankfully I got this one done with plenty of time for revision before approval so I will be adding this suggestion. Take care of yourself, Wally, because it takes a lot to take care of others. 🩷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Knox
17:27 Oct 01, 2023

I like the way you combined the prompt (using the sense of touch) with Show Don't Tell at the very beginning to create a compelling mini mystery for the reader before ultimately revealing that the narrator is selecting yarn for knitting (or crocheting, idk anything about blanket making). When she mushes her hand into the the middle of it and revels in the density, that feels like something that could only come from personal experience :) I also love the way you use memories to Show Don't Tell the identity of the person with the terminal il...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
19:01 Oct 01, 2023

I think I did better showing in this story than I did for the actual Show Don't Tell prompt 😂 so thanks for pointing that out. It must mean I learned something. I'm glad it worked here. Thanks for reading and commenting, Audrey!

Reply

Audrey Knox
19:26 Oct 01, 2023

I'm new to short story writing, so the Show Don't Tell Prompt has given me lots to think about! I'm glad the guidance that Reedsy provides is helping us level up our writing :) Plus, I think it just feels much more natural to move into Showing once you're primed to focus on a specific sense in the opening. This week's prompt is great for that. I love the way it's pushing me outside my comfort zone.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:17 Oct 01, 2023

I'm pretty new-ish to story writing, too. I prefer to write poetry (this story was originally a poem). I'm glad these prompts are helping you expand your writing craft. Reedsy is a great place to share and learn and grow. :)

Reply

Audrey Knox
21:16 Oct 01, 2023

Oh I can definitely see the poetry origins here! I look forward to doing more prompts like these every week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:53 Oct 01, 2023

A very heartfelt tale of grieving. Nicely written.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:17 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks for reading, Scott!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.