hide and seek and The Old Lady

Written in response to: Write a story where hard work doesn’t pay off.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Horror Kids

Rosie had a bad night on Monday. She went to the Jefferson’s house to babysit their kids Emily and Jason. Emily refused to eat her corn at dinner time. Rosie told her she needed to eat at least 4 full bites. Emily said she wanted to play hide and seek. Rosie said, “if you eat you eat your corn we can play.” Emily hurried to eat her corn. When she finished, Rosie gave them both 60 seconds to hide. She started counting as they both ran off to hide. When Rosie got to 60 she called out, “Ready or not here I come.” Rosie walked up stairs to check all the bedrooms but when she got to Emily’s she saw something under the bed. She started walking when she heard a laugh she said, I wonder where Emily could be.” she heard another laugh she slowly crouched down then all at once she went down really quick shouting, I found you.” Emily screamed when she said that then they both began to laugh. “Okay let's go find Jason.” Rosie said trying to stop laughing. Emily looked confused but shrugged her shoulders and said, “Okay.” they both began to look. They looked all over the house for Jason. Twenty minutes go by and he is still nowhere to be found. Rosie said, “go check the garage while I check the front and back yard” Jason was still not found. Rosie began to worry. She called out, “okay Jason you win you can come out now. No answer. She called it a little louder. Nothing. She called Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson and when they got there she told them everything. Mrs. Jefferson said, “I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about, we only have a daughter and that's Emily.” Rosie saw something behind Emily, It was Jason!  “Oh there he is, I knew I wasn't crazy you guys good job you really had me fooled.” Rosie said laughing. Okay then, where is he?” Mrs. Jefferson asked getting annoyed. “ Right there, behind Emily.” she answered. Emily turned around quickly just to see nothing she turned back around to face Rosie and shouted, “This isn't funny!”  “You think this a joke.” she yelled as she got up to leave. SLAM. She then awoke in a cold sweat. “Oh thank god, it was just a dream, no, a nightmare.” She said with her voice trembling. Rosie had to babysit that day for the very first time so she thought she was just nervous. After she got ready she drove to the house. But for some reason it looked oddly familiar she just couldn't put her finger on it. She decided to brush it off. She walked up to the house and rang the doorbell. When the man opened the door, there they were all of them. Mrs. and Mr. Jefferson, Jason, and Emily. Then she realized she was about to relieve her nightmare, but this time she knew there was no waking up out of it.

It was a Saturday evening, around six thirty and I was getting ready because I was invited to attend my best friend, Alex’s birthday party. I left the house early so that I could get there a little early so we could talk. It was raining and so I had to drive slowly but reached the party 15 minutes early so then Alex and I were talking for around 10 minutes then everyone started showing up. Even though the party didn’t start for another 5 minutes. Though it was my best friend’s   birthday party and I was his special guest, the main reason I went there was this girl that my friend, Rachel introduced me to around five days back. Giving my best friend the best wishes for his birthday I asked if  the girl that Rachel had introduced me to had arrived. I told him I had forgotten her name and he said, “Are you talking about Rhea?” “That's her name? I asked. I don't know why I thought her name was Charlotte.” I said. The very moment I said yes, she arrived at the party with an older lady. I was guessing it was her grandmother. In our previous conversation, I found that this girl was beautiful, intelligent and was easy to start a conversation with. Which was a good thing because I was not very good at making the conversation or really keeping it going. At our first meeting, I had a pretty long conversation with her.  She entered a random room after a few minutes of the cake cutting ceremony, she quickly recognized me and we had a pretty long conversation filled with laughter about some of the great books that we have both read. I thought it was so funny because we were both book lovers and we read a lot of the same books. We shared our phone numbers so that we could lend each other some books and also just to text. Soon the party was over and everyone was leaving. It was pouring outside so I asked if I could give her and her grandmother a ride, and they agreed. She and her grandmother were sitting in the back seat and through the mirror, I could easily see both of them. But what was weird was that her grandmother was staring directly in the mirror. That part didn't bother me but what did was she was glaring at me and it looked like her eyes were changing colors from a dark blue to a brown color. I thought I was just imagining things because it was dark in the car so I kept my eyes on the road because it was also around midnight so it was pretty dark outside too. When we were close to their home, the old lady put her hand on my shoulder and asked me to stop there. I stopped the car near their house. It was raining harder than before but she insisted I drop them off there. I stopped in front of a graveyard and waved goodbye, telling them to have a good night. When I reached my house, I changed into my nightdress and soon realized there was blood on my shoulder sleeves where the woman had put her hand. I was so tired by that time I didn’t care much about that and closed my eyes then I opened them because I remembered I had to do my homework but when I stood to get my bag I realized there was blood everywhere on me. I started freaking out and then I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder where the lady had touched. And I looked in the mirror and there she was looking directly at me I screamed in terror and she came crawling through the mirror and screaming like she was the one who thought they were going to die. When I heard the piercing scream I woke up in a sweat screaming I was relieved when I realized it was just a dream. A bad one at that. It was around six thirty when I heard my phone go off. I checked to see who it was from and it was from Alex, inviting me to his birthday party and to come early so we could talk. I started to feel nauseous when I realized that I was about to relive the unthinkable.

March 08, 2022 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.