0 comments

General

Alina pulled up in front of her mother’s house. She hadn’t been here since the day of the funeral. She had no intentions of coming back, and yet here she was. With having no siblings though, it was up to her to take care of things. Taking a deep, breath, Alina exited the car. She hoped that maybe her key wouldn’t work or something else would go wrong to prevent her from getting inside but alas. The key worked just as it always did and the door opened with its usual slight crack. Alina couldn’t help but admire her work so far. Everything looked clean and tidy. Soon the house would be ready to sell. Not before she completed what she came for though. Alina lowered the attic stairs and looked up. This was her big task, cleaning the attic. There was so much up there; it would take several days to clean. Luckily Alina planned on staying a few days to clean it while her husband was away for work. Alina never really liked the attic, as most kids didn’t she supposed. Once it was too dark and spooky. Now it just held too many memories. She had to get past that thought though if she was going to get anything done. With a determined flick of the light switch, Alina made her way up the long and foreboding steps. When she got to the top, she was greeted by the familiar dusty smell. There was certainly more dust though then the last time she was here. A lot more stuff as well. It would take a while to clean it up. Luckily Alina had a few days. With a sigh, she began to go to work.

 

Alina worked for a few hours before deciding to take a lunch break. She looked around for one more thing to tidy up and noticed a familiar looking red and black plaid coat. Wait. Where had she seen that before? Looking around in a box of photos, Alina pulled out the one she was looking for. It was of her mom as a young girl wearing the same coat. Alina smiled. She really did look like her mom in this photo, minus her mom having curly hair. Alina put the picture back and moved her hands down to smooth the coat when she noticed a lump in the pocket. Frowning, Alina reached in to feel something inside. When she retracted her hand, she now had a hold of a necklace. It was in the shape of the sun. Huh. How odd Alina thought. The necklace spun around and Alina noticed something written on the back of the necklace. It read “You are my Sunshine.” Alina’s frown deepened, confused even more. She had never seen her mother wearing this necklace. Who gave it to her? Why was it a sun? Why were there children’s lyrics on the back? Alina paused wondering what to do then it hit her. Her grandmother should know where this came from. She should ask her. Alina put the coat away and put the necklace in her pocket. Lunch would have to wait. She had a mystery to solve…

 

Just a short drive later Alina was pulling up to her grandmother’s house. She hoped she was home, but her car being in the driveway was a good sign. Alina got out of her car and walked up to the front door. She knocked a couple times and to her delight, the door opened. Alina! Her grandmother cried. How nice to see you! “Hi Grandma.” “What brings you here?” I have something I wanted to show and ask you about.” “Well come on in. I just put the kettle on.” “Thanks.” Alina stepped inside and took off her coat while looking around. She hadn’t been here since the funeral but everything looked the same. I’m glad you came to visit me Alina’s grandmother said from the kitchen. “I’ve missed you.” “I’m sorry I haven’t visited.” “Well I understand” Alina’s grandmother said handing her a cup of tea. “Let’s go to the living room.” Alina followed her and noticed the living room was the same as well. This gave her a lot of comfort. “What do you have to show me?” Alina’s grandmother asked looking excited. “This” Alina said pulling out the necklace. Her grandmother gasped. “Where did you get this?” She asked taking it. “I found it in an old coat of mom’s, a red and black plaid one.” Alina’s grandmother smiled. “Your mom loved that coat.” Yah I saw her wearing it in a picture when she was younger.” Alina’s grandmother nodded. She was so sad when she grew out of it. “What about the necklace?” Alina asked. “Your grandfather gave it to her. He use to go on business trips a lot and every time before he left, he would sing “You are my Sunshine” to her. He gave her this necklace as a graduation present.” “Wow.” Alina said sitting back in her chair. “I never saw her wear it.” “She would always have it tucked underneath her shirt so it was close to her heart” Alina’s grandmother explained. “Wow” Alina repeated. “I’m glad you found this” Alina’s grandmother said giving the necklace back. “I had forgotten about it. It happens with old age.” “What should I do with it?” “Keep it. I know your mother would want you to have it.” Alina immediately put it on. “I miss her she admitted.” “I do to. I wish she hadn’t of left so soon.” “I know and not too long after grandpa.” Alina sighed. “Sometimes life isn’t fair.” It isn’t” Alina’s grandmother agreed. “That’s why we must make the most of the time we have together before it’s too late.” “I’m sorry I haven’t been around” Alina apologized. “It’s alright. I knew you had to take time to grieve.” “I know, but I shouldn’t have done it alone.” “Well it’s not too late” Alina’s grandmother said, putting her hand on top of Alina’s. Alina smiled at the gesture. “Alright enough sappiness. Let’s drink our tea and you can get me caught up on your life. How’s your husband?” Alina sipped her tea and was more than happy to talk about the love of her life…

 

“Did you get everything cleaned up?” Alina’s husband asked when he got home from his trip. “I did.” “How was it? Were you okay?” Alina nodded. “It was hard at times but it was worth it because I found this.” Alina reached down her shirt to pull out the necklace. “Wow look at that. I’ve never seen a necklace like that.” It was my mom’s. I had to go see my grandma to find out the story behind it.” I’m glad you went to see her.” Alina smiled. “Me too. It was so nice to talk to her again. I shouldn’t have stopped.” “You were going through a lot. We all were. And still are, but now we can do it together.” “I’m glad everything worked out.” Alina sighed as she snuggled up against her husband on the couch. “Me too”...

 

Epilogue

 

Alina looked at the baby monitor to see her daughter Lucy was awake. Smiling, Alina headed to her room. “Hello Lulu” Alina said using her husband’s nickname for her. “Did we have a nice nap?” Lucy looked up at her mom with her big brown eyes. She had definitely inherited her father’s looks. Alina picked Lucy up and gently bounced her as she carried her to the kitchen. On the way, she began to sing the song she had sung to Lucy since her birth: “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You’ll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away…”

December 05, 2019 22:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.